Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 15, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #6,213 of 14,386
yep, definitely looks like HiFiMan has changed the design, as basically every 2.5mm connector version sold seems to also be missing the backplate.  Gotta love HiFiMan and the unannounced design revisions, lol.  But that's Fang, any time he ever has to make a choice between innovating the design and model stability, he chooses innovating the design every time, even if it annoys some of the customers.  I understand people being annoyed, but I think it's also what's allowed HiFiMan to get to where it is today in terms of the quality of its product offerings.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #6,214 of 14,386
I kind of wished he would have innovated by adapting the LCD mini-xlr connectors for his headphones. Then I could use 1 cable for any potential planar I buy...

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #6,215 of 14,386
  I kind of wished he would have innovated by adapting the LCD mini-xlr connectors for his headphones. Then I could use 1 cable for any potential planar I buy...

well, they have moved to 2.5mm TRS now, which is by far the most common cup end termination.  

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #6,216 of 14,386
hello, quick question--i got ahead of myself and ordered a bestintheverse cable when I placed my order for the he400i --BUT my he400i's just arrived with the OLD connector not the new 2.5 ones....is there a low profile converter that I can get for the terminations :frowning2: halp. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #6,217 of 14,386
  hello, quick question--i got ahead of myself and ordered a bestintheverse cable when I placed my order for the he400i --BUT my he400i's just arrived with the OLD connector not the new 2.5 ones....is there a low profile converter that I can get for the terminations :frowning2: halp. 

contact hifiman, they may change them out for you (though it may depend on where you bought them), I know they did it for some people during the black friday sale.  I don't know of any converters, so your best best if HiFiMan won't do it, is to pay somebody else to do it.  It's not a very hard change for somebody who can solder.  

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6,218 of 14,386

contact hifiman, they may change them out for you (though it may depend on where you bought them), I know they did it for some people during the black friday sale.  I don't know of any converters, so your best best if HiFiMan won't do it, is to pay somebody else to do it.  It's not a very hard change for somebody who can solder.  

many thanks-- got em from moon audio. I'll look into it!

EDIT: ERRRR, got ahead myself in posting....I do have the new plug in connector....sorry about that! my understanding was that the screw-on connectors were the new ones ---I did indicate on the bestintheverse order that I had the new connector, so hopefully all will be in order, thanks anyway! and thanks for the speedy response!

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #6,222 of 14,386
I wonder if the new revision has a better soundstage without the backing plate?  It doesn't sound as in your head as I was expecting after reading a lot of reviews.  Now don't get me wrong its not a large soundstage by any means but it has its moments where it sounds almost as wide as my HD600 and original HE-400.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #6,225 of 14,386
  one of the best thing about this headphone is its comfort aspect. It's the lightest and most comfortable headphone I have ever had. I this is going to be my "endgame" HP for a while. 

I suspect your comment is meant to compare the HE-400i to other planar HPs, since there are certainly many lighter & comfortable HPs out there....the beyer line for instance.

That said I agree the 400i is surprisingly comfortable, immersive and fast becoming the HP I reach for as well.  

My only complaint is the short right angle cable choice HiFiMan made, suited for portable use, which I suspect is not the intended use by most buyers.....my fist purchase was a 6ft extension.

Curious if anyone is using their 400i in a balanced mode configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back