Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #5,057 of 14,386

when the HP are just resting on the table, are the pads touching(pic #1)?
the store i bought the HP from had a pair that was very loose, the pads were like 1 inch from each other (pic #2).

yes mine are still touching as on pic #1 (I do not use headphone stand), i suppose on pic #2 it might be from stretching or most probably as a side effect from putting them on a headphone stand. I mean like on that one  

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,058 of 14,386
i ask the guy from the store to send me a picture of his pair, i remember the HP looked like the ones on the second pic.
he wont be in the store for a few days so i will get it later this week.

im just curious if all the 400i are the same and some changed due to usage or is there a "bunch" that came looser.

meanwhile i cant use my pair 
frown.gif

so im trying my stretch technique as i shown before (with a little of adjustment).

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #5,059 of 14,386
I just listen to Windhand through my new 400i and Oh Boy do they deliver :-D

Looks like my first step into the high-end headphone world was in the right direction :)

Regarding the clamp force everyone is talking about, for me its just perfect so far, but my head is on the narrower side of things.
On Friday my good ol pal Melonhead is coming over to have a try, i'll let you know what he thinks :p

Oh and while i am at it, bumpity bump :wink:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion/5040#post_11952198

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #5,060 of 14,386
  i ask the guy from the store to send me a picture of his pair, i remember the HP looked like the ones on the second pic.
he wont be in the store for a few days so i will get it later this week.

im just curious if all the 400i are the same and some changed due to usage or is there a "bunch" that came looser.

meanwhile i cant use my pair 
frown.gif

so im trying my stretch technique as i shown before (with a little of adjustment).

Normal pair is looser. It's supposed to be comfortable.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #5,061 of 14,386
In the manual it says to leave it operating constantly for 150 hours to ensure optimal performance, so that's 6 days and 6 hours.  Does it have to be like this, can't it be done in blocks leading up to 150 hours to get the same results?

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #5,064 of 14,386

Aw yeah man, Bell Witch is awesome too.

Today i need to take Ufomammuts Eve LP for a spin on my TT, maybe add some OM and YOB to round up the mix
biggrin.gif

Wanna hear ALL my CDs and LPs with dem Phones
L3000.gif

Okay.  that's pretty much my playlist for the past 2 months, BTW.  But don't forget Earthless...

Good to meet you, bro!

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #5,066 of 14,386
  In the manual it says to leave it operating constantly for 150 hours to ensure optimal performance, so that's 6 days and 6 hours.  Does it have to be like this, can't it be done in blocks leading up to 150 hours to get the same results?

Forget all of that stuff, it is far, far, far more likely that it is simply your brain that adjusts to the new sound signature, and everybody is different so it may be five hours for you not five days. The best thing you can do is to not go back and forth between different headphones. When you get the 400i, listen to it normally and in short time your brain will have adapted to the sound signature.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #5,067 of 14,386
Forget all of that stuff, it is far, far, far more likely that it is simply your brain that adjusts to the new sound signature, and everybody is different so it may be five hours for you not five days. The best thing you can do is to not go back and forth between different headphones. When you get the 400i, listen to it normally and in short time your brain will have adapted to the sound signature.

Very good advice!

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #5,068 of 14,386
Very good advice!

I'm looking forward to taking my own advice as my 400i should arrive today! Sadly my adapter needed for my main rig isn't ready yet, but I can still use it on my so-so Dennon receiver (but the DAC I use with that system sucks). Hopefully my adapter gets here soon as based on my experience with the HE 560, I fully expect to enjoy the 400i.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #5,070 of 14,386
An adapter for what may I ask?

I have a custom speaker tap cable (Norne Solv X) that was terminated for the old style SMC cup connectors that I had with my HE 560. The adapter I will be receiving soon I suspect will allow me to still use this cable as my NAD M3 actually has no headphone output so I run all my headphones right from the speaker terminals. The 400i just arrived and looks very nice. Can't wait to actually hear it with my main rig, but until then I'll make do. I also had my TH 900 altered to have SMC connectors right on the headphone cups to allow me to use them with my NAD. Love speaker tap cables by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back