Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #4,651 of 14,386
  so if the Magni and O2 arent enough, how much do i need to invest?
i also need a DAC, thats why i thought about getting the O2ODAC.

i want to buy a complete, good setup so i wont have to deal with it after the purchase.

i got mine D100 for 200$, bought it here, in a almost a perfect condition

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #4,652 of 14,386

so please forgive me if I say once again that Hifiman he400i is a very difficult thing to make it sound right (but when it does it is superb) and O2 is just not even close to it

I have to respectfully disagree with this. The combination I've heard of O2 (from Headnhifi) and HE-400i was superb. Clean, clear with nice fast and well defined bass. It sounded better than with my Matrix M-Stage and Musical Fidelity X-Can and on pair with Schiit Lyr 2. There probably is a better combination, I don't deny that but for less than, say $400 I doubt there is better. What gain do you use on your O2? The one I used had gains 1x/3x and it was equaly fine on both.

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #4,653 of 14,386

I have to respectfully disagree with this. The combination I've heard of O2 (from Headnhifi) and HE-400i was superb. Clean, clear with nice fast and well defined bass. It sounded better than with my Matrix M-Stage and Musical Fidelity X-Can and on pair with Schiit Lyr 2. There probably is a better combination, I don't deny that but for less than, say $400 I doubt there is better. What gain do you use on your O2? The one I used had gains 1x/3x and it was equaly fine on both.

sure, we all hear differently

but in this case I have to respectfully disagree with your point (   
wink.gif
  ) and confirm once again that from my point of view compared to D100 O2 is just a toy (when we are talking about pairing with he400i) what I did is that I asked my friend to bring his O2 to me as I wanted to compare them directly, not just by memory and oh man what a difference there is indeed.
and the point is that D100 is considered as a very good dac, not an amp, when I bought it I was sure that I was going to use it strictly as dac, but it just destroyed everything I have at this moment, hands down !!! now I am thinking that I really need to invest in even better amp      

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #4,654 of 14,386

sure, we all hear differently

but in this case I have to respectfully disagree with your point (   
wink.gif
  ) and confirm once again that from my point of view compared to D100 O2 is just a toy (when we are talking about pairing with he400i) what I did is that I asked my friend to bring his O2 to me as I wanted to compare them directly, not just by memory and oh man what a difference there is indeed.
and the point is that D100 is considered as a very good dac, not an amp, when I bought it I was sure that I was going to use it strictly as dac, but it just destroyed everything I have at this moment, hands down !!! now I am thinking that I really need to invest in even better amp      

No problems at all 
smily_headphones1.gif
 We have our different references and I believe that your Yulong is probably better match for 400i than my Matrix M-Stage and X-Can V3. How would you describe the difference D100 makes compared to O2?

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #4,655 of 14,386
  No problems at all 
smily_headphones1.gif
 We have our different references and I believe that your Yulong is probably better match for 400i than my Matrix M-Stage and X-Can V3. How would you describe the difference D100 makes compared to O2?

hmmm, I am not strong in definitions but will try to answer your question
to describe the difference in one sentence its like earth and heaven :wink:
its not like regular small differences, there is just a huge difference, I could not believe in the beginning
for instance with D100 lows are just amazingly superb, it makes you feel like you are never going to stop listening to your music, i mean I cant even compare bass reproduction of D100 and O2, its just absolutely different leagues  
I mean everything sounds so amazingly better with D100
and how to describe this I dont know, but I would say with D100 it becomes Alive, if I compare this feeling with O2 impressions, I would say with O2 it just sounds like walking dead compared to yulong ?
and what is very important for me with D100 there is a presence, there is a power, there is superb blend of every instrument and vocal in one whole, there is an authority and there is no fatigue what so ever
watching live recordings on blu ray is a pure pleasure
even listening to some tracks that are not my favorite ones is kind of enjoyment now, lol
and I can feel that these headphones can do even better with a better amp !!!

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4,656 of 14,386
@muxamed, @gugman, interesting reading your comments about different amps and the HE-400i.  When I first got my HE-400i I was using my Xonar DG sound card and Asgard2 and while this pairing sounded quite good I knew it could be better having heard the HE-400i at my friends house a few months earlier.  This is when I went a little crazy and purchased Bifrost, Lyr2, Project Ember, UD-301 and borrowed a ODAC/O2 and Gustard H-10.  After a month of trying different combinations of DACs and AMPs with the HE-400i the best it sounded was with the UD-301 and Lyr2 (74 Reflectors).  This combination gave the best bass extension and smoothest highs along with the best dynamics IMO, the sound stage was better with the Bifrost, wider and more resolved, with the Ember the bass had more impact but didn't go as low and the highs could be slightly grainy at times.

The Gustard H-10 is a great amp and I was considering it but since I have the Lyr2 and Ember other posters suggested it would be redundant.  As for the ODAC/O2, its very neutral and a bargain for the price but when compared to the other DAC/AMP above the sound didn't have the same dynamics, it was like the bass and highs were rolled off slightly.  These differences are noticeable to me but to a casual listener they may not notice it, my girlfriend who has better hearing than me can easily notice the differences but most of my friends who don't own headphones can't tell the differences between the DACs and AMPs

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #4,657 of 14,386

hmmm, I am not strong in definitions but will try to answer your question
to describe the difference in one sentence its like earth and heaven :wink:
its not like regular small differences, there is just a huge difference, I could not believe in the beginning
for instance with D100 lows are just amazingly superb, it makes you feel like you are never going to stop listening to your music, i mean I cant even compare bass reproduction of D100 and O2, its just absolutely different leagues  
I mean everything sounds so amazingly better with D100
and how to describe this I dont know, but I would say with D100 it becomes Alive, if I compare this feeling with O2 impressions, I would say with O2 it just sounds like walking dead compared to yulong ?
and what is very important for me with D100 there is a presence, there is a power, there is superb blend of every instrument and vocal in one whole, there is an authority and there is no fatigue what so ever
watching live recordings on blu ray is a pure pleasure
even listening to some tracks that are not my favorite ones is kind of enjoyment now, lol
and I can feel that these headphones can do even better with a better amp !!!

Do you use same DACs with both amps?

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #4,658 of 14,386
Aug 19, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #4,660 of 14,386

Wipe down the cups, leather and metal headband with a fine cloth. The velour should be cleaned weekly with a lint roller and if they ever smell or get dirty, use a damp cloth with a bit of unscented soap to wipe over and air dry.

What if i get some dandruff behind the ear muffs how do I get them off (muffs) or is that not recommended?

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #4,661 of 14,386
  What if i get some dandruff behind the ear muffs how do I get them off (muffs) or is that not recommended?

They're designed to be taken off but not on a regular basis because there's possibility of wear and tear on the clips over time if you keep doing it.

If you get dandruff on the cloth filter of the earpads, I suggest some tape or a small handheld vacuum cleaner that isn't too powerful.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #4,662 of 14,386
A practical question. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 How do you remove the grills from the back of the cups? I'd like to hear if there is any difference after removing thm and if it is worth to put new more hollow grills.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4,663 of 14,386
  A practical question. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 How do you remove the grills from the back of the cups? I'd like to hear if there is any difference after removing thm and if it is worth to put new more hollow grills.

There are 4 tabs on the plastic ring around the grill that are locked in place. They are at the diagonals of the ring, and you must pull out one tab, then the rest are much easier. Sticking a thumbnail between the earcup and the plastic ring should be a start. When you find a tab, pull the plastic ring at that point towards the center of the grill until it pops out. The rest of the tabs can be removed in a similar way, though it is much simpler after the first tab

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #4,664 of 14,386
  There are 4 tabs on the plastic ring around the grill that are locked in place. They are at the diagonals of the ring, and you must pull out one tab, then the rest are much easier. Sticking a thumbnail between the earcup and the plastic ring should be a start. When you find a tab, pull the plastic ring at that point towards the center of the grill until it pops out. The rest of the tabs can be removed in a similar way, though it is much simpler after the first tab

Thank you! I will try that 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #4,665 of 14,386
  A practical question. 
smily_headphones1.gif

there are 4 tabs locaed at 2, 5, 7 and 10, be very careful when taking of the ring, it can crack very easily.  As @coletrain104 suggested using your nail is easy but you might want to try a small jewelry screwdriver also.  You can also go to the HE-400/500 mod thread, I remember seeing some pictures there on removal of the grill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back