Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Apr 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #3,963 of 14,386
Well that's good to hear at least. I've got a 15' CablePro Earcandy for my 400s right now and I plan to use it with any HiFiMAN hp I end up owning so stock cable doesn't concern me too much. I've just always questioned HFM's cable choices after the HE-400 and RE-600. Well I think I have a friend who would gladly buy my 400s so I'll be moving to the 400i shortly. Can't wait! Do they come with Focus Pads or the Focus Pad As?

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #3,965 of 14,386
legit question,

why do they make the cable really short? Did hifiman design them to be marketed to casual music listeners at large in mind?
Like, designed them to be used with an LG or a Samsung cellphone in mind ?
because there is no way in heck that the he-400i is a "portable headphone"...

1.2 meter is excessively short

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #3,966 of 14,386
legit question,

why do they make the cable really short? Did hifiman design them to be marketed to casual music listeners at large in mind?
Like, designed them to be used with an LG or a Samsung cellphone in mind ?
because there is no way in heck that the he-400i is a "portable headphone"...

1.2 meter is excessively short

I wonder the same thing. I guess not so much to be portable themselves so much as just using with a portable device. Too be honest my Note 4 doesn't push these very well. My iPad Air is better, but I like them powered from my Lyr best.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3,968 of 14,386
  Does the combination have good bass presence? Have you compared it with the Magni 2? I cannot stand any glare in the upper end!

Bass presence improved when I went from the HRT MSII to the Modi 2 Uber.

The Vali isn't known for really slamming bass, but I didn't find it lacking.

No glare in the upper end for me.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #3,971 of 14,386
  Great! Just out of curiosity, which amp is know for slamming bass? :wink:

Ha!  Great question.  None of the amps that I've owned.

Perhaps I should have worded things more carefully.  I've heard people complain about the bass on the Vali.  Those complaints may be founded, but it wasn't an issue for me personally.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #3,974 of 14,386
  Great! Just out of curiosity, which amp is know for slamming bass? :wink:

...did I mention "within my budget" ? :wink:

It the Lyr/Lyr2 is out of your budget then the next amp I have down from that is a Project Ember, mine gives pretty good bass slam with bugle boy tubes.  If you get the supercharger option and socket adapter for 6sn7 tubes then you might be able to get even more bass with a careful selection of tubes known for bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back