Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 14, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #3,691 of 14,386
Writerhead,

May I ask you, I notice you are connecting directly to your ipod with the 30 pin connector instead of a 3.5mm jack. I've seen this a few times with other members. Is this a personal preference or is there a sound quality difference connecting this way? If I'm not mistaken I think I read you're bypassing the internal amplifier?

I'm just curious?

Thanks!
Quote:

+1

With DX90 I don't even have to switch to medium gain with most recordings. Recently I have been using spotify on the iPhone 4 with this combo: 

Writerhead,

May I ask you, I notice you are connecting directly to your ipod with the 30 pin connector instead of a 3.5mm jack. I've seen this a few times with other members. Is this a personal preference or is there a sound quality difference connecting this way? If I'm not mistaken I think I read you're bypassing the internal amplifier?

I'm just curious?

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,692 of 14,386
  Writerhead,

I'm just curious?

Thanks!

It's an iPhone 4. Yes the point of using a line out cable is bypassing the amp section of the iPhone/iPod to get better sound quality.  

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #3,693 of 14,386
Hello! Just received my pair of the HE-400i's yesterday, love them, though I need a DAC/AMP setup. Thinking of getting the Schiit modi/magni setup since I hear a lot about it around here. Does this setup work well for the 400i's?

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #3,694 of 14,386
  Hello! Just received my pair of the HE-400i's yesterday, love them, though I need a DAC/AMP setup. Thinking of getting the Schiit modi/magni setup since I hear a lot about it around here. Does this setup work well for the 400i's?

I think the modi/magni stack is pretty good, but when I use my bifrost/lyr2 or Teac AH01 the sound is fuller with better bass extension and smoother highs, IMO anyway.  I have a project ember on the way so will see if its a better match to the HE-400i.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #3,695 of 14,386

I think that is a good place to start :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,697 of 14,386

Yes.  Though, I would consider the Modi/Vali pairing.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,698 of 14,386

Yes.  Though, I would consider the Modi/Vali pairing.

Second hand knowledge here but I thought in general it's not a good idea to pair tube amps with planar magnetic headphones.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #3,699 of 14,386

Second hand knowledge here but I thought in general it's not a good idea to pair tube amps with planar magnetic headphones.

It depends on the planars.  The 400i are incredibly easy to drive.  The Vali handles them with ease.

I'm also using the Vali with the HE-500 with very good results.

Something like the HE-6, on the other hand, needs far more juice.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3,700 of 14,386

Depends if you mean pure tube, or tube hybrid.

Lyr 2 is one of the most commonly recommended amps to drive HiFi man headphones, including HE-560.
Personally, Lyr 2 is stellar with my HE-560 and HE-400i.

Unsure tho how Vali noise floor does with HE-400i.

These hybrid tube amps are generally amazing, even the new HiFiman amp is a tube hybrid.
For a reason- Dr Fang told me at RMAF he prefers a bit of tube warmth (with power) for his headphones.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #3,701 of 14,386

Lyr 2 is one of the most commonly recommended amps to drive HiFi man headphones, including HE-560.

These hybrid tube amps are generally amazing, even the new HiFiman amp is a tube hybrid.
For a reason- Dr Fang told me at RMAF he prefers a bit of tube warmth (with power) for his headphones.

+1 What he said. My lyr2 made my demo set of HE 400I sing like a muse of old. I still miss the He-400i's and still might get a pair sometime.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #3,702 of 14,386

Agree, my lyr2 is sweet with my HE-560/400i/400

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #3,704 of 14,386
Black background.  Going from the Lyr 2 to the Vali left me wanting nothing.

Thanks!
Very good to know, enjoyed Vali with HD600 awhile ago and maybe will try again with HE-400i, especially if a Vali 2 ever materializes.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back