Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #3,467 of 14,386

If you aren't happy with the HD650 bass you won't like the 700 either.

HD700 bass is much faster / tighter, does not get bloated with bass heavy music as HD650 does. HD650 bass (midbass) is always present.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #3,469 of 14,386
A new set of 400i's now adorn my headphone stand.  I never should have sold my first pair, and I won't make that mistake again.  For the prive, they are still the best all-around set of headphones I have ever heard or auditioned.  Not the best, but for the price and flexibility, the best performance per dollar.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,470 of 14,386
  A new set of 400i's now adorn my headphone stand.  I never should have sold my first pair, and I won't make that mistake again.  For the prive, they are still the best all-around set of headphones I have ever heard or auditioned.  Not the best, but for the price and flexibility, the best performance per dollar.

can i ask what do you mean by flexibility?

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #3,471 of 14,386

can i ask what do you mean by flexibility?

Works wonderfully with my cell phone, FiiO E10, Magni/Modi, Benchmark and my Burson.  All genre's, including video and movies.  Extremely good all-around headphone!

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,473 of 14,386

This post blew my mind :O

Oh crap.  I forgot about that post.

Yeah.  I was in a real intense place when I wrote that, man.  Sorry if it freaked you out!

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,474 of 14,386

If you aren't happy with the HD650 bass you won't like the 700 either.

That's good to know but I have to mention that on the HD650's I didn't have my Mont Blanc either so maybe I wasn't satisfied with the overall sound I was getting maybe? I'm still very much a newbie & just trying to find my way to a comfortable setup. But now instead of buying & then returning like I did with the HD650's Beyerdymanic DT990's I will just keep & compare. I've noticed from reading a lot posts & replies that sometimes it takes a few weeks or even months to really get an "ear" or feel for the headphones. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #3,475 of 14,386
I don't have a strong headphone "vocabulary" yet I'm still very new to my new electronic love! So I will speak in very simple, newbie terms.

I have a pair of AKG K545's & I know we're talking 2 completely different headphones but  one thing I kind of understand a little now is "soundstage". The AKG's although I still love them sound like all the instruments are pushed up against my ear. Where as the HE400i's actually do sound & even feel separated. I'm guessing that's the difference between a "sealed" back as opposed to open configuration?

I've only listened to my 400i's now for about an hour but I'm impressed! They got me to smile when listening to a few tunes. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,477 of 14,386
  Oh crap.  I forgot about that post.

Yeah.  I was in a real intense place when I wrote that, man.  Sorry if it freaked you out!

I wanted to reply about the "serious" listening definition. It didn't seem to be appropriate at the time...
I did appreciate your honest answer.  I was hoping some others would say something about what they meant when they used the term.

Anyway... I hope things work out for you. Glad  hear that you got another set of 400i phones.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #3,478 of 14,386
  I don't have a strong headphone "vocabulary" yet I'm still very new to my new electronic love! So I will speak in very simple, newbie terms.

I have a pair of AKG K545's & I know we're talking 2 completely different headphones but  one thing I kind of understand a little now is "soundstage". The AKG's although I still love them sound like all the instruments are pushed up against my ear. Where as the HE400i's actually do sound & even feel separated. I'm guessing that's the difference between a "sealed" back as opposed to open configuration?

I've only listened to my 400i's now for about an hour but I'm impressed! They got me to smile when listening to a few tunes. 

Interesting... the 400i is the first set of phones that has done that for me in awhile. I was smiling from the first song! Before that I think it was the NAD HP 50 and then all of the way back to the HD 600 lots of years ago. Usually I have to listen for awhile before I warm to a new set of phones.

BTW, this includes the HE 560s that I got a couple of weeks ago... I am still working on getting used to and tweaking them.

The 400i just does so much right... to my ears.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,479 of 14,386

Interesting... the 400i is the first set of phones that has done that for me in awhile. I was smiling from the first song! Before that I think it was the NAD HP 50 and then all of the way back to the HD 600 lots of years ago. Usually I have to listen for awhile before I warm to a new set of phones.

BTW, this includes the HE 560s that I got a couple of weeks ago... I am still working on getting used to and tweaking them.

The 400i just does so much right... to my ears.

I hear ya on the 400i doing so much right! I can't wait to listen to almost everything I have! LOL
Next attack is the amp. I think the Mont Blanc is awesome but I know that as I step up in headphones I can also maybe take one or 2 steps up on my amp as well. But what I've noticed so far about amps is that there doesn't seem to be a large gradual step up in price like headphones. HP's you can go from $50 to multiple thousands & everything little increment in between. But amps is like sub $100 then $150 then it jumps to like $499, then $799 & UP??? I'm like WTH??? Where's the $200-$400 range? 

Also, when I do find a nice amp I can't get the right configuration to my setup. I use an iPad/iphone setup which requires the 3.5mm jack. Everything in the higher price ranges all go with what looks like RCA cables or USB for input? Kind of frustrating. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #3,480 of 14,386

I hear ya on the 400i doing so much right! I can't wait to listen to almost everything I have! LOL
Next attack is the amp. I think the Mont Blanc is awesome but I know that as I step up in headphones I can also maybe take one or 2 steps up on my amp as well. But what I've noticed so far about amps is that there doesn't seem to be a large gradual step up in price like headphones. HP's you can go from $50 to multiple thousands & everything little increment in between. But amps is like sub $100 then $150 then it jumps to like $499, then $799 & UP??? I'm like WTH??? Where's the $200-$400 range? 

Also, when I do find a nice amp I can't get the right configuration to my setup. I use an iPad/iphone setup which requires the 3.5mm jack. Everything in the higher price ranges all go with what looks like RCA cables or USB for input? Kind of frustrating. 

Schiit Asgard, Lyr for the $200 + range.  3.5 to RCA  cable is cheap, especially from Monoprice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back