Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #3,286 of 14,386
  Are the HE400i relatively easy to drive? My amplifier is rated as 1w max output at low impedance, are they much easier than the HE500? Also can anyone compare the bass and soundstage on them to SRH 1540, HE400, D2000, HD650 etc. Will probably try the HE400i and decide out of the SRH1540 and HE400i which one to keep. Hoping the HE400i would be capable of similar / more sub bass (with EQ) compared to 1540 and maybe have a bigger soundstage etc. The HE400i are probably better than HE500 as can be purchased new for same amount as used HE500, are lighter, easier to drive, warranty and more comfortable so I think I will try the HE400i instead of the HE500. Also are the HE500 a big step up from the HE400i in sound quality and worth all the negatives eg. comfort, weight, no warranty, used, hard to drive etc. mainly I listen to electronic music but also most other genres as well.

Think DAPs like X5 and DX90 has have a little more than enough power to properly drive HE-400i. HE-500 requires about 2x the power needed by HE-400i at a given sound pressure level.

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #3,287 of 14,386
Hi All, I purchased a pair of HE-400is a few weeks ago. Coming from HE-400s, I am very happy with the HE-400i (minus the purple color). I wanted a longer cable (16') with a balanced connection,  so I made my first headphone cable using 30 strand 26 AWG Oxygen free copper (Japanese). I also made a balanced 4-pin XLR to 1/4" adapter. I can't hear a difference between my cable and the stock HE-400i cable (a copper/silver hybrid cable). I consider that a good thing as the stock cable seems to be good quality, retailing for $130. 
I have a Audio-GD NFB-28 (balanced) and a Elekit TU-8200 (single ended), which I built last week. As much as I love the NFB-28 as a preamp, DAC,  and headphone amp, I much prefer the sound of the NFB-28 DAC (Sabre ES9018) running to the Elekit TU-8200 headphone amp. The HE-400is sound fantastic with this set up. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #3,288 of 14,386
  Hi All, I purchased a pair of HE-400is a few weeks ago. Coming from HE-400s, I am very happy with the HE-400i (minus the purple color). I wanted a longer cable (16') with a balanced connection,  so I made my first headphone cable using 30 strand 26 AWG Oxygen free copper (Japanese). I also made a balanced 4-pin XLR to 1/4" adapter. I can't hear a difference between my cable and the stock HE-400i cable (a copper/silver hybrid cable). I consider that a good thing as the stock cable seems to be good quality, retailing for $130. 
I have a Audio-GD NFB-28 (balanced) and a Elekit TU-8200 (single ended), which I built last week. As much as I love the NFB-28 as a preamp, DAC,  and headphone amp, I much prefer the sound of the NFB-28 DAC (Sabre ES9018) running to the Elekit TU-8200 headphone amp. The HE-400is sound fantastic with this set up. 

They sure are pretty and awesome work on the balanced cable!

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #3,289 of 14,386
I put in an order for these and the EF2A (combo) last Thursday -I went from wanting the SRH1540 to the Mad Dog Pro's to the HE500 to the HE400i, and hopefully I made the right decision.

These will be my first set of headphones that aren't completely consumer grade and I'm excited to experience the 400i's based on the last 220 pages I've read (I've read every single post).  These will serve as my new office headphones and will be replacing unamped Shure 425's and Bose QC15's.

I haven't heard read any discussions on the 400i and EF2A pairing.  I'm interested to read other people's impressions as surely I can't be the first person to buy/try this combo?

Looking forward to receiving this combo and posting my impressions!

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3,290 of 14,386
  I put in an order for these and the EF2A (combo) last Thursday -I went from wanting the SRH1540 to the Mad Dog Pro's to the HE500 to the HE400i, and hopefully I made the right decision.

These will be my first set of headphones that aren't completely consumer grade and I'm excited to experience the 400i's based on the last 220 pages I've read (I've read every single post).  These will serve as my new office headphones and will be replacing unamped Shure 425's and Bose QC15's.

I haven't heard read any discussions on the 400i and EF2A pairing.  I'm interested to read other people's impressions as surely I can't be the first person to buy/try this combo?

hahaha!!! i rmb i used to do that as well. welcome to the community man!!! hope you love ur new headphones & lookin forward to seein ur impressions :):)

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3,291 of 14,386
I think you will be happy with your choice mate, these are a fantastic all rounder and comfortable enough to use for many many hours.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3,292 of 14,386
hahaha!!! i rmb i used to do that as well. welcome to the community man!!! hope you love ur new headphones & lookin forward to seein ur impressions :):)

I read so much about this headphone that everything after page 150 lead me to second guess this HP and begin looking at the SRH1540 again (having very much liked my 425's)! Glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Shipping seems a bit slower than advertised (just got a shipping notice at 5pm today and they were ordered 9 am last Thursday), but i can hope that the shipping, brokerage, and duty will all be a breeze.

The last time I ordered something from the USA, the Canadian dollar was at 1.20 and on this purchase I got 0.77 to the dollar. Ouch!

I think you will be happy with your choice mate, these are a fantastic all rounder and comfortable enough to use for many many hours.

Are you referring to the EF2A and 400i combo? I tried to dig up some info on the EF2A -on this site and on the interweb, but didn't find much. All I found were a few posts on tube rolling and a few lukewarm reviews. I figured the manufacturer wouldn't put a combo together that sucked, right?

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #3,293 of 14,386

Well I understand the ethusiasm towards headphones but you should really avoid reading all the circlejerking because it tends to overhype a product which then could cause disapointing first impressions.

Don't get me wrong, they're a great headphone but did the exact same thing to myself.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,294 of 14,386
Quote:
Are you referring to the EF2A and 400i combo? I tried to dig up some info on the EF2A -on this site and on the interweb, but didn't find much. All I found were a few posts on tube rolling and a few lukewarm reviews. I figured the manufacturer wouldn't put a combo together that sucked, right?

No I am just referring to you choosing the 400i over the other cans you mentioned, I have only heard mine through my Lyr so cant compare any other amps.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #3,295 of 14,386
Well I understand the ethusiasm towards headphones but you should really avoid reading all the circlejerking because it tends to overhype a product which then could cause disapointing first impressions.

Don't get me wrong, they're a great headphone but did the exact same thing to myself.

I don't think there's been any over hyping at all. What I get from this thread is that they are a solid, good priced hifi headphone. When people start saying "OMGZ DIZ HEADFONE SOUNDZ LIKE THE LCD3 BUT WAY LESS DAN HALF DA PRICE" Then consider this a circle jerker lol 

I think if anyone wants a headphone that can perform close to the LCD2 and HE500 but slightly less refined that doesn't break the bank then look into this phone.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,296 of 14,386
I don't think there's been any over hyping at all. What I get from this thread is that they are a solid, good priced hifi headphone. When people start saying "OMGZ DIZ HEADFONE SOUNDZ LIKE THE LCD3 BUT WAY LESS DAN HALF DA PRICE" Then consider this a circle jerker lol 

I think if anyone wants a headphone that can perform close to the LCD2 and HE500 but slightly less refined that doesn't break the bank then look into this phone.

Well said, Becuz dez off da hook!

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3,297 of 14,386
Just put in order for these. I was considering several other more expensive headphones like the LCD-2 and HE-560 but meh. At that higher price point I expect something perfect for my tastes and thinking about it gets tiring... I should be pretty happy with these for a while, as long as the bass responds well to EQ.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #3,298 of 14,386
Just put in order for these. I was considering several other more expensive headphones like the LCD-2 and HE-560 but meh. At that higher price point I expect something perfect for my tastes and thinking about it gets tiring... I should be pretty happy with these for a while, as long as the bass responds well to EQ.

Im really happy with mine, i have it with the X5 and E12 with the Bass Boost on which sounds about as good as it gets. Ive had nay sayers say holy $%^& when they hear it for the first time.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,299 of 14,386
  Quote:

No I am just referring to you choosing the 400i over the other cans you mentioned, I have only heard mine through my Lyr so cant compare any other amps.

That's also a hybrid amp -albeit a lot more powerful than the EF2A, right?  Do you find yourself tube rolling a lot based on the music you're listening to?

I'm on the same train of hope as you sir.  Tracking says they're somewhere called Champaign, IL right now. 

Im really happy with mine, i have it with the X5 and E12 with the Bass Boost on which sounds about as good as it gets. Ive had nay sayers say holy $%^& when they hear it for the first time.

When I was looking at the MDP I was considering the M/M Schiit Stack or the E12 for amplification.  Out of Curiosity, what kind of battery life does the E12 get when on portable duty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back