Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 3, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #3,077 of 14,386
Fair enough. Unless you go to headfi meets it is hard to compare and make the right purchase because someone can recommend a certain brand until you hear them that's the ultimate factor.

True, headphones really need auditioning before taking a plunge. It's the most importance piece in the audio chain imo. This is the part that could be easily be a matter of personal preference when it comes to choices.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #3,078 of 14,386
Mmmm... I think you shld rly try both if possible or talk to someone who directly compared both side by side. But honestly, I doubt you can go wrong with either pair of headphones.

Only note is that the $200 akg k7xx on massdrop is basically identical to the k702 65th annies which are quite similar to the k712.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,079 of 14,386
Mmmm... I think you shld rly try both if possible or talk to someone who directly compared both side by side. But honestly, I doubt you can go wrong with either pair of headphones.

Only note is that the $200 akg k7xx on massdrop is basically identical to the k702 65th annies which are quite similar to the k712.

Thing is, i can't audition them. I have to trust the word of fellow head fiers. What i need to know is, are the AKG k712 mids good? I know for a fact that HE-400i mids are ortho mids, but the reduces soundstage is a big con for me.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,080 of 14,386
And which do you think brings more detail? I am thinking to buy either the he-400i, the K712 and maybe the woodies from audio technica.

I'm going to have to disagree with Ron12 here. I currently own the 400i, and have extensively auditioned the Q701 (though I have not heard the K712, personally). Based on what I've read, the K712 mainly improves on the bass of the Q701 and sounds warmer while maintaining much of the Q701's qualities like in terms of soundstage, etc.

While the soundstage will be bigger on the AKG headphones, I definitely feel that the imaging of the 400i is much better. The problem with the AKG headphones is that while you can tell instruments are playing to the left or right of you, you can't tell precisely where they are. For example, on the Q701, I would hear like a violin playing on the left. But on the 400i, I would be able to tell that the same violin is playing slightly center of left, like at 70 degrees (if we assume that the left is 0 degrees and the right is 180 degrees). Basically, while the AKG line of headphones will have a much larger soundstage (no doubt about that), I feel that the quality of the soundstage is much better with the 400i (much better imaging and everything sounds more coherent). Unless the K712 Pro is significantly better in this regard than the Q701 (which I'm not so sure about, given they use the same basic design).

The Q701 does have a lot of detail, but in my opinion the 400i does not have any less. I'm not going to say which has more detail though. (And once again, I'm not really sure if the K712 will have much more detail than the Q701 does, due to them both using the same basic design).

Mids are pretty good on both the 400i and the Q701. I'd say they're both about equal in quality, and that it really is up to preference. Personally, I like the 400i's mids better, as to me they strike a better balance of being both warm and detailed at the same time to me than the Q701 did, while the Q701's mids were very good quality, but were brighter. What I say about the Q701 may not be exactly true for the K712 here, as I hear that the K712 does have a warmer tilt overall than the Q701.

Keep in mind that this is my opinion, and just the way I hear it.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #3,081 of 14,386
I'm going to have to disagree with Ron12 here. I currently own the 400i, and have extensively auditioned the Q701 (though I have not heard the K712, personally). Based on what I've read, the K712 mainly improves on the bass of the Q701 and sounds warmer while maintaining much of the Q701's qualities like in terms of soundstage, etc.

While the soundstage will be bigger on the AKG headphones, I definitely feel that the imaging of the 400i is much better. The problem with the AKG headphones is that while you can tell instruments are playing to the left or right of you, you can't tell precisely where they are. For example, on the Q701, I would hear like a violin playing on the left. But on the 400i, I would be able to tell that the same violin is playing slightly center of left, like at 70 degrees (if we assume that the left is 0 degrees and the right is 180 degrees). Basically, while the AKG line of headphones will have a much larger soundstage (no doubt about that), I feel that the quality of the soundstage is much better with the 400i (much better imaging and everything sounds more coherent). Unless the K712 Pro is significantly better in this regard than the Q701 (which I'm not so sure about, given they use the same basic design).

The Q701 does have a lot of detail, but in my opinion the 400i does not have any less. I'm not going to say which has more detail though. (And once again, I'm not really sure if the K712 will have much more detail than the Q701 does, due to them both using the same basic design).

Mids are pretty good on both the 400i and the Q701. I'd say they're both about equal in quality, and that it really is up to preference. Personally, I like the 400i's mids better, as to me they strike a better balance of being both warm and detailed at the same time to me than the Q701 did, while the Q701's mids were very good quality, but were brighter. What I say about the Q701 may not be exactly true for the K712 here, as I hear that the K712 does have a warmer tilt overall than the Q701.

Keep in mind that this is my opinion, and just the way I hear it.

Wow, thanks a lot! Sadly im leaning towards the AKG k712 because they are cheaper. I will still debate this (and i will take a lot your comment in account). Also, from what i've read, the K712 not only have different drivers, but also (according to some reviewers) eliminate a "hole in the center" the Q701 supposedly had. Not sure about this though. Thanks anyway!

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #3,082 of 14,386
Wow, thanks a lot! Sadly im leaning towards the AKG k712 because they are cheaper. I will still debate this (and i will take a lot your comment in account). Also, from what i've read, the K712 not only have different drivers, but also (according to some reviewers) eliminate a "hole in the center" the Q701 supposedly had. Not sure about this though. Thanks anyway!

No problem. Though it is unfortunate that you seem to live outside the US, otherwise I'd just tell you to get the K7XX from Massdrop for $200 when it becomes available again in the future if you were leaning towards the K712.

Also, not sure if you care too much about this, but I think the comfort would be better on the K712 than the 400i, mainly because of weight. Without taking weight into consideration, the 400i and the Q701 was about as comfortable as each other (except for the bumps on the headband on the Q701, but AKG took that out for the K712). But if weight was taken into consideration, then the K712 is probably more comfortable.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #3,083 of 14,386
No problem. Though it is unfortunate that you seem to live outside the US, otherwise I'd just tell you to get the K7XX from Massdrop for $200 when it becomes available again in the future if you were leaning towards the K712.

Also, not sure if you care too much about this, but I think the comfort would be better on the K712 than the 400i, mainly because of weight. Without taking weight into consideration, the 400i and the Q701 was about as comfortable as each other (except for the bumps on the headband on the Q701, but AKG took that out for the K712). But if weight was taken into consideration, then the K712 is probably more comfortable.

Comfort is, to me, not a priprity. But, its always a nice extra. Thanks a lot!

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #3,084 of 14,386
Not exactly what you are looking for, but pretty close. I have the HE-560 and the AKG K7xx that I have directly compared against each other. I have heard the HE-400i really quick, but it's been so long ago, I can't really make comparison comments. However, I do agree with what many people say that the HE-400i basically has 80-90% of the performance of the HE-560. The K7xx is extremely similar to the K712 (though not identical as the K712 is basically the K702 65th anniversaries).

Their physical design is identical to their counterparts though. Comfortwise, they are both outstandingly comfortable. The K7xx is lighter, auto-adjusting suspensions system, and memory foam earpads. The HE-560 has deeper earpads. I prefer the comfort of the HE-560 as my ears just slightly brush against the drivers on the K7xx. They both have great comfort with no real major complaints.

From direct comparisons, I do prefer the HE-560 sound-wise & they are definitely technically superior, but the K7xx has extremely excellent sound quality (best I've heard at the $200 price point). The HE-560 has better sound stage and imaging, but the imaging & sound stage is excellent on both to the point where I say that it doesn't matter anymore. You won't be missing out on anything with either pair of headphones regarding imaging/sound stage.

Not sure, if that was helpful, but basically, I am saying that you can go with either & be extremely satisfied. These headphones do not have any major flaws or cons, and really just comes down to sound signature preferences or other personal subjective factors. If you can't demo, just pick one. Here there will be fans of both headphones that prefer one or the other, but how applicable that is to your preferences is hard to say. Just be assured that they are both amazing headphones & you can't go wrong with either.

I personally would pick the HE-400i.

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #3,085 of 14,386
New HE400i owner here!

Tested on O2/ODAC since I just sold my bifrost / lyr ( looking around for an upgrade )

First impressions (~2hours on my home) on these cans:

-The clamp is strong, kinda like sennheiser vice grip on the 650. 

-Waaaay lighter on the head than the HE400.

-Looks really amazing.

-The soundstage is "average" for me, I was expecting a small soundstage because of all the comments here but was happy that it was not the case! (I had a HD800, Q701, LCD2rev2 and currently own a HE400, AD700 and DT990.)

-These pair of cans really has a great balance throughout the spectrum, nothing is emphasized but the highs sounds kinda weird to me... maybe due to the O2?

-Sounds bad with badly recorded tracks (duh).

I compared the 560 and the 400i before buying, used with an iphone and a theorem 720 single ended. On electronic music, mainstream RnB, and pop music both of these will sound the same (at least to my ears). Only noticed a difference when playing some ambient trance, classicals and orchestra, the 560 sounded more "real" and "further". I would most likely have given a more in depth and better comparison between these two if I was testing them both at home though.

Bought the 400i because I wasn't even considering the 560 from the start, just demoed for the heck of it :p

Will play around with these babies for a few weeks after I get a better desktop setup and will report back!

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #3,086 of 14,386

Yeah, I really think we hear things differently here... I am in no way an AKG fan (the K712 Pro I have here are not even mine so I am in no way biased towards them - rather biased towards Hifiman which is my favourite headphone brand). I may agree that some people will prefer more coherent soundstage over the more expansive one of K712 Pro but I really don't hear the superior imaging you are talking about on Hifiman headphones (maybe HE-400i are different?). K712 Pro have wider and as well a bit deeper soundstage which along with sharper imaging really helps to localise elements better in space. I love my HE-500s (and loved HE-4s)... But I have to admit this.

Just for information - soundstage of K712 Pro is basically of the same type as Q701 but feels a bit more compact due to added bass. The left-center-right (and nothing in between) soundstage phenomenon Q701s (and older models) are known for is also slightly less pronounced due to different tonality I believe but still present.

Still, nothing wrong with different opinions. The best way is of course to audition yourself. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #3,089 of 14,386
Headfonia's review is up. http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-400i-mid-fi-best/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back