Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,822 of 14,386

i wonder how it will compare to the Fiio E10.  I really loved that little dac/amp.

No Schiit.  It's a pretty good unit.  Good thing I have one, and can compare.  It does have more features with switchable gain and the bass boost.  But I have a feeling the Fulla will be overpowering.  If they can drive the Primes, that would be impressive.  The E10 can drive them, but barely.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #2,823 of 14,386
  Any one compared the Hifiman HE-400i to the beyerdynamic T90's, I very curious how they fair against each other.

I have both headphones and listening to them out of the same rig playing the same music i.e. comparing apples to apples, so to speak, the 400i's have a darker smoother sound while the T90's have beautiful retrieval and fine resolution qualities. They are both fine headphones with a different sound, kind of like ice cream, it's all good but some days you feel like chocolate instead of vanilla. Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive but suffice it to say that if you like your sound more "light", go with the T90's, but if you like a darker, "heavier" sound, go with the 400i's. Either way, you will have a fine pair of headphones that will give you many hours of musical enjoyment. Cheers.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #2,824 of 14,386
After months of debating between the 400i and the 560, I went with the 560 and couldn't be happier.

Finding a reasonably priced, protective case proved more difficult for these large cans. I wanted something big enough to leave the cables attached and believe me, the options are few.

I stumbled across this on Amazon and wanted to share my discovery. This is the Geekria EJB-0035-02. It measures out at 11 x 9.4 x 4.7. It is only available in blue at the moment, but for about $32, this is a nice, safe place for your 400i.

[/IMG]

You can spend a whole lot more (easily) for a bigger, better case but I'm happy with this one.

That looks like a good fit. Could you by chance take a picture or two with the headphones in the case? I have been looking for case where I can leave the cables on to.

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,825 of 14,386
That looks like a good fit. Could you by chance take a picture or two with the headphones in the case? I have been looking for case where I can leave the cables on to.

Thanks.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/10560#post_11100038

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #2,826 of 14,386
  Bit and ordered the 400i from amazon (thank you holiday return policy!). Really excited for it given that I absolutely LOVED the original 400's, except for the weight and comfort. I'm hoping for that the bass and soundstage didn't decrease THAT much.

Amazon sells 400i?

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2,827 of 14,386

Thanks for the link to the pic, I'm glad i saw it first. I will be looking elsewhere, I do not want to put any stress where the cable connects and I can see that case is making the cables bend close to the connection which is what I want to avoid.

I never really plan on bring mine outside and I do where this as much as possible when I'm working around the house so I bought a headphone stand instead.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2,828 of 14,386
woops wrong thread~

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2,829 of 14,386
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of buying these because they seem to suit my preferences perfectly, but there's just one thing holding me back... I've read some bad things about the soundstage.
Can anyone comment on this? Does it spoil the separation at all? If anyone could compare it to the b & w P5s or v moda m100s that would be the icing on the cake because those are the cans i can most easily refer to.
Thanks in advance

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,830 of 14,386
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of buying these because they seem to suit my preferences perfectly, but there's just one thing holding me back... I've read some bad things about the soundstage.
Can anyone comment on this? Does it spoil the separation at all? If anyone could compare it to the b & w P5s or v moda m100s that would be the icing on the cake because those are the cans i can most easily refer to.
Thanks in advance

The soundstage is intimate, but instrument separation is very good.  

No, these headphones aren't airy like the HD800, but it doesn't feel congested in any way.  

I found amp pairings to make a difference here.  The Vali was a big step up from the Asgard in terms of instrument separation and clarity.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,831 of 14,386
Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance

In this price range, I have heard B&O H6, B&W P7, Momentum Over-ear, Shure SRH1540, NAD HP50, Senn HD650, Fidelio X2, Denon D5000, KEF M500, AKG K545, HE400.

IMHO, the 400i trumps them all in overall performance and balance. It has an upfront presentation, but I don't find the soundstage small. The transparency is a league above the other headphones above. H6 has nice treble and mid, but the bass is too light for my taste. P7 has decent SQ overall, but transparency is not as good as the 400i. The Momentum Over-ear sounded congested next to the 400i. SRH1540 has pretty good balanced, but not as open/transparent as 400i. NAD HP50, I heard it once, but I don't like it so much. HD650 has great mids, but it is not as open-sounding and separation is not as good. I'm impressed with X2, I like the sound and balance, if I don't own the 400i, I'd probably get this one. D5000 has a lush tuning, but the mid is too thin and trebly, and bass is loose. The improvement in definition and imaging over the old 400 is very noticeable, but I do agree the 400 bass is more enjoyable.

Surely, the bass extension and imaging/layering could be better if compared to T1 or HE560, but the performance for this price is just unbelievable. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #2,834 of 14,386
Thanks guys that's a lot of help. The soundstage being "intimate" does not put me off since i'm mainly a rock listener
smily_headphones1.gif

The soundstage actually helps in rock and jazz performances. But pls be aware of the neutral FR, the bass is not elevated like the Momentum, but definitely not lacking like the H6, the 400i is a planar afterall. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back