Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #2,042 of 14,386
  I bought two of them. They are not as nice in person as in the picture. I got them about a week ago.
First the plexiglass has some kind of marks on it on both of them. It is not scratches so much as surface clouding or streaks. They look like they may have been caused when they bent the stand into shape. Second one of the pins that the phones hang on was loose in the packaging. It appeared that the threaded part for the cap nut had broken. There was no longer enough length for it to go through the material and engage the nut.  It turns out that there is a stud or threaded rod that threads into the hanger pin. I was able to unscrew it enough to engage the nut.  All of the nuts were loose and required tightening. The fit of the threaded rod into the pin and nut is very loose. This means you can't torque them too much or you may well strip the threads. Before I use them, I want to get some thread locker and use it on all of the connections. I don't have faith that those pins will not loosen and maybe dump my phones at some point.

These things are OK. They will hold your headphones. Just don't expect a solid well made beautiful display stand... or you will be disappointed.

Of course, the price is pretty cheap for any kind of a headphone stand. I think this is a classic case of getting what you pay for...

Oh bummer :/ crap i hope i have a little better experience than that.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,044 of 14,386
The stands will get better with time, like everything else
biggrin.gif

ya, after some burn-in, those stands really hold your headphones a lot more securely =P

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #2,046 of 14,386
I would vote Spotify $10/month (or $5/month for students)

I recently switched from Spotify to Beats. Although Spotify claims to offer  "up to" 321 kbps streaming, the vast majority of the streams are significantly lower. Beats is the only provider with 320 kbps on all of its streams. It is a flat $10 per month. There is no less expensive option. I listened to both Spotify and Beats: the quality difference is obvious. Beats is significantly better when using WiFi. All fail miserably using 3G and 4G.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,047 of 14,386
  I recently switched from Spotify to Beats. Although Spotify claims to offer  "up to" 321 kbps streaming, the vast majority of the streams are significantly lower. Beats is the only provider with 320 kbps on all of its streams. It is a flat $10 per month. There is no less expensive option. I listened to both Spotify and Beats: the quality difference is obvious. Beats is significantly better when using WiFi. All fail miserably using 3G and 4G.

that's false. currently, there is no streamer that has all songs in 320kbps due to certain limitations from recording studios.

From the beats website: "On the web, we stream in 320kbps MP3 quality audio - industry standard high quality audio for streaming services.  A small minority of tracks may not be available for 320, in which case we'll stream in 256kbps." Mog, which was the streaming service that beats was based on, was notorious for lying about the quality of their library, claiming that their entire collection was 320kbps when in reality it was not the case. There was actually a trick that you could do to check the bitrate.

Also, spotify is available for $5/month for students if you have access to a "xxx@xxx.edu" email address.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #2,048 of 14,386
  that's false. currently, there is no streamer that has all songs in 320kbps due to certain limitations from recording studios.

From the beats website: "On the web, we stream in 320kbps MP3 quality audio - industry standard high quality audio for streaming services.  A small minority of tracks may not be available for 320, in which case we'll stream in 256kbps." Mog, which was the streaming service that beats was based on, was notorious for lying about the quality of their library, claiming that their entire collection was 320kbps when in reality it was not the case. There was actually a trick that you could do to check the bitrate.

Also, spotify is available for $5/month for students if you have access to a "xxx@xxx.edu" email address.

You are correct, only a "majority" of the Beats stream is 320kbps. Spotify only says "up to" 320kbps. There is no more specific statement as to how much of the service is at the highest rate.  With that advertising, if only one song was streaming at 320kbps, the statement would be true.
Of course, there may be another alternative on the distant horizon: Deezer. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d4dd61f4-3833-11e4-9fc2-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3DRUFkxdk

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,049 of 14,386
  You are correct, only a "majority" of the Beats stream is 320kbps. Spotify only says "up to" 320kbps. There is no more specific statement as to how much of the service is at the highest rate.  With that advertising, if only one song was streaming at 320kbps, the statement would be true.
Of course, there may be another alternative on the distant horizon: Deezer. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d4dd61f4-3833-11e4-9fc2-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3DRUFkxdk

Majority is just an advertising keyword. Mog said "all songs were" 320kbps but when I actually checked, totally not true. At least Spotify is honest about it.

The dirty truth is that all subscription-based models are using the same tracks as each other. They have to cut deals with the record labels & the record labels gives everyone the same $hit. If a streaming service buys the license for the song is owned by a certain record label, it's not like different buyers get different $hit. they all have the same $hit. lol! It's not like you can get the song anywhere else legally.

edit: i'm not saying beats subscription music streaming is bad or spotify is better or anything like that. beats has cool features & whatever. but your argument about quality is simply not true. it's just marketing lol.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #2,050 of 14,386
Spotify be default goes at 192 I think, but if you get premium, you can set it to 320.  This is assuming your internet connection can handle it.  That's what I have it set at.  If Beats says they are 320, they most likely are.  Apple Radio is 256 AAC.  Deezer is variable, but they are coming out with a premium streaming service (read, about twice the cost of Spotify premium) that offers lossless.  

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #2,051 of 14,386
  Spotify be default goes at 192 I think, but if you get premium, you can set it to 320.  This is assuming your internet connection can handle it.  That's what I have it set at.  If Beats says they are 320, they most likely are.  Apple Radio is 256 AAC.  Deezer is variable, but they are coming out with a premium streaming service (read, about twice the cost of Spotify premium) that offers lossless.  

lol yes. we should just blindly believe whatever the company tells us.

http://www.marcurselli.com/2014/03/03/the-truth-about-music-streaming-services-and-the-ultimate-audio-quality-shootout-test-beats-vs-mog-vs-play-music-by-google-vs-rdio-vs-spotify/

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2,052 of 14,386
I switched from Mog ($5/month) to Spotify student ($5). Was happy with Mog till it was bought by Beats. Am happy with Spotify now. Also on Soundcloud for a lot of EDM that's not available elsewhere.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,054 of 14,386
^^ Even though you are all off topic,
tongue.gif
, I was about to post this. I'll be all over it when it's released this fall. I'll have to cancel my beats account (awh, my kids will be so sad). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back