Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 15, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #2,026 of 14,386

anyone else notice this beautiful stand? and only $20? Picked myself up the he 400i's and this beauty of a stand today :)

I bought two of them. They are not as nice in person as in the picture. I got them about a week ago.
First the plexiglass has some kind of marks on it on both of them. It is not scratches so much as surface clouding or streaks. They look like they may have been caused when they bent the stand into shape. Second one of the pins that the phones hang on was loose in the packaging. It appeared that the threaded part for the cap nut had broken. There was no longer enough length for it to go through the material and engage the nut.  It turns out that there is a stud or threaded rod that threads into the hanger pin. I was able to unscrew it enough to engage the nut.  All of the nuts were loose and required tightening. The fit of the threaded rod into the pin and nut is very loose. This means you can't torque them too much or you may well strip the threads. Before I use them, I want to get some thread locker and use it on all of the connections. I don't have faith that those pins will not loosen and maybe dump my phones at some point.

These things are OK. They will hold your headphones. Just don't expect a solid well made beautiful display stand... or you will be disappointed.

Of course, the price is pretty cheap for any kind of a headphone stand. I think this is a classic case of getting what you pay for...

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #2,027 of 14,386
Thanks for the feedback, I just want to hear how a balanced amps sounds, and I think the mjolnir will fulfill this need of mind. Although, I admit I would like to get the Ragnarok and have a amp that should power almost any headphone. Please have a good morning.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #2,028 of 14,386

that's weird. I feel like flagship headphones may have a certain tonality or sound signature, but they perform admirably across all genres & all applications (music/movies/gaming) as long as you like their sound signature.

I do like to have a pair of reference headphones that I am very familiar with compare new headphones/amps/dacs against, but if I find something I like better, then I would just switch over to the new pair. I've tried the multiple headphones for multiple applications, but personally found that I just ended up sticking with the headphones I like best. 

Same here. I'd rather have one headphone that I like and that's the best I can afford than two that are at more or less half that level. 

If I had a ton of money, sure, I'd have multiple headphones. For example, I just participated in the Grado PS500e tour and even though I preferred my HE-400 for 90% of music, New Order just sounded so good on the Grados. 

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,029 of 14,386
Same here. I'd rather have one headphone that I like and that's the best I can afford than two that are at more or less half that level. 

If I had a ton of money, sure, I'd have multiple headphones. For example, I just participated in the Grado PS500e tour and even though I preferred my HE-400 for 90% of music, New Order just sounded so good on the Grados. 
we all would love to have only one pair and be satisfied. (Alot less money)But unfortunately we have to buy many pairs to achieve the perfect headphone you a referring to.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2,031 of 14,386
Ha! The gungnir or mjolnir? Yes for both. What would you like to know?

I have the G/M combo and they sound great for almost all orthos that I have tried except the HE 4 and the HE 6 (IMO). Is there a hint of sibilance with the 400i with that combo? I found that the 400 could be unbearable at times which is why I switched to the Audez'e line up. In fairness the best HFM HP with the G/M was the 500 with the Jergpads.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,032 of 14,386
Well all I have decided to return the demo set. I would love own these amazing cans but do to my Dads health, and only one job, I feel it's prudent to wait till next year before I get these sexy, great sounding cans. I still can not believe how good they sound in my lyr2, powered by a pair of Telefunken tubes.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,033 of 14,386
I have the G/M combo and they sound great for almost all orthos that I have tried except the HE 4 and the HE 6 (IMO). Is there a hint of sibilance with the 400i with that combo? I found that the 400 could be unbearable at times which is why I switched to the Audez'e line up. In fairness the best HFM HP with the G/M was the 500 with the Jergpads.

Imo, the 400i with the G/M is a great pairing with no sign of harshness or sibilance. 

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,034 of 14,386
New to the Hi-Fi community, making the jump from my original Beats that introduced me to the idea of expensive headphones as a teenager and just ordered a pair of HiFiMAN HE-400i's as well as a Magni/Modi Schiit stack. The 400i's should arrive tomorrow and I'll be sure to leave my impressions soon.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has advice on some future gear purchases:

1.) I am looking for a nice travel case for the 400i's that has a hard shell.

2.) I am looking for some 6-10 ft. headphone cables for the 400i's. I am not too familiar with expected price ranges for starter cables but the value/performance is a consideration of mine. Right now, I will just be using the default 4 ft. cable with a cheap 3.5mm extension from Amazon.

3.) What future purchases should I look towards next? Will a new Dac/Amp set be the next upgrade based on my setup described?

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,035 of 14,386
New to the Hi-Fi community, making the jump from my original Beats that introduced me to the idea of expensive headphones as a teenager and just ordered a pair of HiFiMAN HE-400i's as well as a Magni/Modi Schiit stack. The 400i's should arrive tomorrow and I'll be sure to leave my impressions

3.) What future purchases should I look towards next? Will a new Dac/Amp set be the next upgrade based on my setup described?

My vote would be to get a few hundred $ in good music, and enjoy it.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,038 of 14,386
New to the Hi-Fi community, making the jump from my original Beats that introduced me to the idea of expensive headphones as a teenager and just ordered a pair of HiFiMAN HE-400i's as well as a Magni/Modi Schiit stack. The 400i's should arrive tomorrow and I'll be sure to leave my impressions soon.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has advice on some future gear purchases:

1.) I am looking for a nice travel case for the 400i's that has a hard shell.

2.) I am looking for some 6-10 ft. headphone cables for the 400i's. I am not too familiar with expected price ranges for starter cables but the value/performance is a consideration of mine. Right now, I will just be using the default 4 ft. cable with a cheap 3.5mm extension from Amazon.

1) Hifiman has a travel case for their headphones: http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=118
note that since the he-400i is open & requires an amp, it cannot be used as a pair of portable headphones, so unlikely that you will actually need a travel case
2) don't waste your money on expensive cables
3) if you already got the M&M stack, you don't need to get anything else in terms of your set-up. spend your money on music as suggested by others.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,039 of 14,386
  1) Hifiman has a travel case for their headphones: http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=118
note that since the he-400i is open & requires an amp, it cannot be used as a pair of portable headphones, so unlikely that you will actually need a travel case
2) don't waste your money on expensive cables
3) if you already got the M&M stack, you don't need to get anything else in terms of your set-up. spend your money on music as suggested by others.

I don't believe that travel case will work for the 400i.  It says all HE models except 560, but I would bet that they just haven't updated that yet and it should read 560/400i.  The 560 and 400i share essentially the same design, so if it doesn't fit the 560, I bet it won't fit the 400i either.

This is likely the case you want: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=207

I'd confirm with HFM first though.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #2,040 of 14,386
  I don't believe that travel case will work for the 400i.  It says all HE models except 560, but I would bet that they just haven't updated that yet and it should read 560/400i.  The 560 and 400i share essentially the same design, so if it doesn't fit the 560, I bet it won't fit the 400i either.

This is likely the case you want: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=207

I'd confirm with HFM first though.

hahah... most likely you are right. OP shld check w/ HFM which one would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back