Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #1,996 of 14,386

I don't agree. . but that is what this forum is about. If the old question was asked... what would your last set of headphones be...
At one point I would have said the HD6OO I  really like them. They will not be leaving here (as long as the original premise is not fulfilled)

I have changed that thought to the HE-400i. Different ears, different brains. If you need a reason NOT to  buy the 400i,  take one persons thoughts as gospel.

BTW, if it is  a matter of budget constraints... you will be fine with your HD 600. (if you have them?)

Get what you want...

Hey, I think you misread my post, or I didn't communicate clearly.  I simply respect Bill's writing, and the same with contrary opinions.

I'm personally riding the line of fanboi-ism regarding the 400i, and quite honestly believe that they embarrass so-called "high-end" cans in terms of sonics, comfort, fit, finish and overall awesomeness!

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,998 of 14,386
Unfortunately for me, I'm a visual media mainly eadphone user, meaning I don't really listen to music on my headphones much. $500 for an articulate headphone that doesn't have the level of bass immersion I like just doesn't seem like my personal idea of money well spent. I love the idea of the 400i as much as I love the 650, but ultimately, I feel I can live with the OG 400 more, since my uses are more targeted for deeper/more bass presence.

Again, I'm positive I'd love the 400i (I've loved plenty of balanced headphones), just not ideal for my main uses. A headphone can be as accurate or balanced as it can be, I will still want a push in bass. 400 is more or less my ideal level.

I think you're right on for your needs. I like the 400i less than the 400 for gaming. Even then, I didn't like the 400 for gaming, preferred the X1 for that purpose (could never tell where anyone was due to small soundstage). Of course the TH600 are my ultimate gaming cans :p

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2,001 of 14,386
^^ very true

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #2,002 of 14,386
I think you're right on for your needs. I like the 400i less than the 400 for gaming. Even then, I didn't like the 400 for gaming, preferred the X1 for that purpose (could never tell where anyone was due to small soundstage). Of course the TH600 are my ultimate gaming cans
tongue.gif

though you could afford the hd800+nice amp if you didn't purchase the he-400, hd-400i, x1, and th600s ($1800ish+ total). heh =P

I think it's always better to have one flagship than multiple mid-fi headphones. you only have one set of ears afterall :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,003 of 14,386
  though you could afford the hd800+nice amp if you didn't purchase the he-400, hd-400i, x1, and th600s ($1800ish+ total). heh =P

I think it's always better to have one flagship than multiple mid-fi headphones. you only have one set of ears afterall :)

True, but I could afford the 800 in addition if I really wanted to go there.  For me, each headphone I have fulfills a specific need, be it a genre of music, gaming, etc. The 800 would be just for certain genres (for me) as I do prefer my other cans for specific uses. Even though the 800 is more expensive, it would not meet my needs across all usage aspects. Does that make sense?

That said, the 800 is the only other hp I'd consider purchasing at this point. But the price/performance ratio is just not there for me personally.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,004 of 14,386
  True, but I could afford the 800 in addition if I really wanted to go there.  For me, each headphone I have fulfills a specific need, be it a genre of music, gaming, etc. The 800 would be just for certain genres (for me) as I do prefer my other cans for specific uses. Even though the 800 is more expensive, it would not meet my needs across all usage aspects. Does that make sense?

That said, the 800 is the only other hp I'd consider purchasing at this point. But the price/performance ratio is just not there for me personally.

mmm I disagree, I think the hd800 would excel at everything if you find the right amp for it.

With it's amazing sound stage & clarity, I am sure it will outperform your 'dedicated' headphones in movies, gaming, and most music. The only genre/niche that the hd800 is hypothetically not as strong with is bass-heavy type stuff, but then you can just go hd800 + he400 and be done with it at the exact same budget. Or something slightly in between such as the he-560 at a cheaper price point. difference of philosophy I guess.

If I had unlimited funds, I think the best flagship combo would be something like the brighter hd800 + the warmer th900. However, with the he-560, I feel like I have the best of both worlds at a better price point. i also just love orthos! heh :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,005 of 14,386
I dunno, I've listened to HD800 on a number of occasions on different systems, and the bass just never impressed me. The treble was super smooth and textured, the midrange was great, but bass felt cheap in comparison.

People who only listen to jazz and seek ultimate microdetail plankton extraction and whatnot will find HD800s perfect, but I listen to too many genres to care for it exclusively.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #2,006 of 14,386
  I dunno, I've listened to HD800 on a number of occasions on different systems, and the bass just never impressed me. The treble was super smooth and textured, the midrange was great, but bass felt cheap in comparison.

People who only listen to jazz and seek ultimate microdetail plankton extraction and whatnot will find HD800s perfect, but I listen to too many genres to care for it exclusively.

This - there just isn't one headphone that does it all in my opinion.

On another topic, the 400i is waaaaaaaay too beautiful for the small number of photos in this thread!

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #2,007 of 14,386
The 400i would definitely be my first destination as my 'And' headphone. Though, the HD650 makes a compelling case.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2,008 of 14,386

Agreed.  My problem with 'high-end' is they tend to have awesome strangths, but their weaknesses can make them unsuitable for certain genres.

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,010 of 14,386
T1? HE-6?

Nope, I don't think. The HE-6 is just a brighter, more finessed 560. T1 is similar to 6s, just brighter and more spacious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back