Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,261 of 14,386
Ho
Hi,
Just want to say something very quick about that bass response of HE-400i. This is something we actually debated very heavily internally during the initial design process and also seeked feedback from a lot of our customers. At the end we decided that quality is more important than quantity, and HE-400i should produce a more accurate bass.

So yes the sheer amount of bass you will get from HE-400i is slight less than HE-400, BUT we believe it is definitely more accurate and true to the music. The market is not short of bass heavy headphones, so we decided to stick to what Hifiman does the best.
How about compared to HE-500?

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,262 of 14,386

Foobar2000 with WASAPI or ASIO (if DAC have native ASIO driver support) + http://www.windowsxlive.net/fidelizer-5-0-released-major-update-with-windows-88-1-fully-compatible/

I spend 50$ for this RCA cable (length 2m)  http://www.avinity-cable.com/portfolio/audio/cinch-stereo (HIGH PERFORMANCE SERIES). I'm very much pleased with this cable (add micro details in music and improve sound quality overall). If your files in MP3 and you still want download MP3 files then try to download 320CBR and lame 3.93.1 files.

one of my favorite songs ever (MP3 VS MP3 VS FLAC)

Thank you for your advice!  $50 definitely seems more reasonable for RCA cables haha.  Do you know if USB cable is worth upgrading too?  I'm just confused because I thought digital is generally the same regardless of cable (I don't buy into the $80 Monster HDMI cable propaganda).  

I'm not a big digital cable geek, but I thinking to get this  http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Starlight--USB-A-to-Mini-B-
Analog signal is more sensitive, then digital signal.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #1,263 of 14,386
  I'm not a big digital cable geek, but I thinking to get this  http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Starlight--USB-A-to-Mini-B-

$90 is too much, get the Chroma. $27 is a far more reasonable price for a USB cable.

The whole point of digital is that noise doesn't matter, but if you have a very noisy USB and a USB-powered DAC then a galvanic isolator could help improve SQ. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,264 of 14,386

$90 is too much, get the Chroma. $27 is a far more reasonable price for a USB cable.

The whole point of digital is that noise doesn't matter, but if you have a very noisy USB and a USB-powered DAC then a galvanic isolator could help improve SQ. 

I think so too... can you give a good link of galvanic isolator?

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,265 of 14,386
Actually, may be good for me.  I'm looking for a good full bodied HP that would mate well with my AK100 MkII for around the house use and maybe for travelling.  I'll probably get a 10 foot Toxic Cable to plug into my main rig.  Appreciating all the impressions so I'll probably buy these blind.  I did get a chance to audition the HE560 and was duly impressed.
Quote:
The cable is only 5 feet actually which is kinda saddening, I would have liked for more.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #1,267 of 14,386
Hi,
Just want to say something very quick about that bass response of HE-400i. This is something we actually debated very heavily internally during the initial design process and also seeked feedback from a lot of our customers. At the end we decided that quality is more important than quantity, and HE-400i should produce a more accurate bass.

So yes the sheer amount of bass you will get from HE-400i is slight less than HE-400, BUT we believe it is definitely more accurate and true to the music. The market is not short of bass heavy headphones, so we decided to stick to what Hifiman does the best.

What HiFiMan did best was make the most open sounding headphone under 600 have the best bass under 1000 already. All it needed was more linearityfrom the mids on up. I'm sure the majority would agree despite the feedback mentioned here. I just want to see if it has less bass than the he500 because if so I'm prob not interested and a bit dissapointed tbh.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,268 of 14,386
Just got a shipping notice for the upcoming 400i, I'll be comparing it w/ the 560 extensively, and because I don't wanna mod the 400i as it is a] a demo unit, which I may or may not keep and b] only one of them will most likely stay after the comparison is done [which will receive the grill mod treatment], the comparison will be done stock with the Focus production pads [which will be present on both headphones].
I'll try to post as objective a comparison as I can with subjective remarks added in but highlighted accordingly.
I'll test various music, games and some movies/series. I'll simply try to test as many things as time will allow in the 1 month demo period, possibly even more if the 400i stays [but in that case the 560 might go...]
From the stuff I've read, it seems like both have their advantages and that it might very well come down to preference [duh!], which will be all in my comparison/review.
I'll of course post some first impressions soon after I receive it, but these will be edited accordingly over time as the headphone/my brain burns in and with more time for evaluation.
I'll probably post it here and then add it to my Ultimate Reviews thread in my sig...
Just FYI, don't expect miracles but I'll do my best 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,272 of 14,386

If your files in MP3 and you still want download MP3 files then try to download 320CBR and lame 3.93.1 files.

one of my favorite songs ever (MP3 VS MP3 VS FLAC)

So what are we plotting here on the vertical axis, that we have more of as we move from chart to chart, left to right ? Dynamic range ? (Sorry this is off-topic, but this is where it came up.) 

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,273 of 14,386
This afternoon I received confirmation that DHL will deliver tomorrow my tour unit for review. I am looking forward to comparing it to the HE-500 on various sources and amplifiers. Pictures and thoughts to follow.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,274 of 14,386
  Hi,

hiii!! as an official hifiman person, what would you say to customers looking at both the he-560 and the he-400i? I would love to hear a lil descriptive summary of their sonic characteristics and strengths. a bass comparison between the two would be great too! :) thank youu

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,275 of 14,386
Is the thing above the headband metal or plastic?
I dunno if it's driver burn in or brain burn in but these headphones are sounding better and better to me.  I really appreciate the comfort and how the grills let heat out.. they get way less hot than my zmf.  Wish my geek pulse x was here to use with these.

headphone stand photobomb.  ignore messy house.  blue braided paracord xlr cable is by bestintheverse.  full res photos on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/theuncola/sets/72157646296568887

Users who are viewing this thread

Back