Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #13,606 of 14,386
I have wanted a pair of HE-400i for awhile, but after reading these horror stories, I was hesitant, even at the $200 Amazon price. I had a Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so I ordered a pair. Well....got them today and I am really liking the sound. Far better to my old ears compared to what I own now. But I have a few questions.

The pads look like crap and after reading through some threads here, I hear those will fall apart eventually. What is a recommended replacement? I would prefer something in leather/pleather.

The cable is a joke, and while it is working for now...it's way too stiff and too short. What is recommended that won't kill my pocketbook?

Last question....As I really like the sound of these. Is there an equivalent in sound that is not too far off in price? I mean if these disintegrate within the return window, I will like to buy something else. The Monoprice Monolith 1060? .....Anything <$300.

Thanks

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #13,607 of 14,386
I have wanted a pair of HE-400i for awhile, but after reading these horror stories, I was hesitant, even at the $200 Amazon price. I had a Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so I ordered a pair. Well....got them today and I am really liking the sound. Far better to my old ears compared to what I own now. But I have a few questions.

The pads look like crap and after reading through some threads here, I hear those will fall apart eventually. What is a recommended replacement? I would prefer something in leather/pleather.

The cable is a joke, and while it is working for now...it's way too stiff and too short. What is recommended that won't kill my pocketbook?

Last question....As I really like the sound of these. Is there an equivalent in sound that is not too far off in price? I mean if these disintegrate within the return window, I will like to buy something else. The Monoprice Monolith 1060? .....Anything <$300.

Thanks

I'm happy with the Brainwavz angled pads and this $23 replacement cable

And I do prefer my M1060s overall (very similar signature but just better overall to my ears)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #13,608 of 14,386

Thanks
The issue with the pads falling apart is more common with the current production where QC or manufacturing materials have gone down hill. The Focus pads on my HE400i/HE560 are over 4 years old and they are still in great condition and even the Focus-A pads that I got for my HE400 is still in great condition. I have a set of Dekoni leather pads for the TH-900 which fit but it does alter the sound a bit and many say the Ori pads are pretty good for the HE400i.

As for a cheap cable get one of the cheap ones from Amazon/Ebay $15-30,most are decent quality.

If you like the sound then I'd look for a older SMC jack HE400i since these have much less QC issues and to me they sound a little better but will need the grill mod

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #13,609 of 14,386
My he400i’s are about a year old now. They have the new 2.5mm connectors. They function with the factory pads like the day I bought them and they are my favourite headphones to date, I will never part with them. The recent horror stories are very strange as they sold for years without these kinds of issues happening. I’m sure there were complaints about the pads in the past but the headband cracking on this level is totally strange and a recent production issue. It’s really too bad because at the price they were selling for they are an absolute steal. Of course the great deal is completely null if they fall apart.

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #13,610 of 14,386
My he400i’s are about a year old now. They have the new 2.5mm connectors. They function with the factory pads like the day I bought them and they are my favourite headphones to date, I will never part with them. The recent horror stories are very strange as they sold for years without these kinds of issues happening. I’m sure there were complaints about the pads in the past but the headband cracking on this level is totally strange and a recent production issue. It’s really too bad because at the price they were selling for they are an absolute steal. Of course the great deal is completely null if they fall apart.

Yeah, it's weird. So many of these have been sold and honestly, while I know many have broken....many many more have not. Looking at mine, they look like decent quality and I cannot see that HFM would intentionally lower the quality of the polymer to save a few pennies, especially since HFM has a decent rep outside of a few threads here and there. I mean I still have my HFM RE-0's that were known for falling apart and mine have been through hell.

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #13,611 of 14,386
Ditto - mine have been used as the "kicker" cans when travelling - thrown in the laptop bag/car/boot etc and no issues (other than the original set having 2 left hand side cups - swapped over by HiFiMan for a new set without any real problems)

They definitely haven't been treated delicately but are still awesome.

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #13,612 of 14,386
I have a case of upgradeisis :). Does anyone have a pair of 660s they can compare to the sound signature of the he400i’s?

Apr 4, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #13,613 of 14,386
I have a case of upgradeisis :). Does anyone have a pair of 660s they can compare to the sound signature of the he400i’s?
I still have my HE400i (older SMC back plate version - modded with sorbothane and grill) and compared it with my friend's HD660S a few times and it depends on what you are looking for. I still like my HE400i over the HD660S but since its the older SMC version and is modded this is not a fair assessment. I'd say the HD660S is more of a side grade to a different sound signature and "upgrade" over the HE400i.

The HD660S is good with almost any gear including phones and low power DAPs while the HE400i usually needs a little more power than what most phones will output. While I will probably get a HD660S in the future its way over priced IMO at the moment but if it ever gets to $200-275 (range of HD600 & HD650) I think they would be a pretty good buy. If you have a decent/good OTL amp that is fairly neutral then I'd suggest the HD6XX at $200 but if you don't want to deal with amps (or tubes) then the HD660S is a better choice.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #13,614 of 14,386
The right yoke of my HE-400i cracked today, not sure when. I noticed there was a bit of silver metal visible at the center of yoke and didn't think twice of it until I took it off the stand and put it on. Frustrating that I bought them at the end of February and have only used them part time at a desk and hang them on a stand when not in use.

Fortunately I bought them through an Authorized Dealer per their dealer's page and have started the product registration process and will then move onto addressing the actual issue once that's confirmed.

What can I expect for turn around time, shipping costs covered, likelihood of a continued issue?

I realize it's all here somewhere but I haven't been keeping up with this thread and wouldn't even know which of the 900 pages to start reading to try to gather this info.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #13,615 of 14,386
The right yoke of my HE-400i cracked today, not sure when. I noticed there was a bit of silver metal visible at the center of yoke and didn't think twice of it until I took it off the stand and put it on. Frustrating that I bought them at the end of February and have only used them part time at a desk and hang them on a stand when not in use.

Fortunately I bought them through an Authorized Dealer per their dealer's page and have started the product registration process and will then move onto addressing the actual issue once that's confirmed.

What can I expect for turn around time, shipping costs covered, likelihood of a continued issue?

I realize it's all here somewhere but I haven't been keeping up with this thread and wouldn't even know which of the 900 pages to start reading to try to gather this info.

Just curious, where did you buy them from? Also, what box did they come in. The heavy leather covered box, or the nice cardboard box?

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #13,616 of 14,386
Just curious, where did you buy them from? Also, what box did they come in. The heavy leather covered box, or the nice cardboard box?
Audio Advisors, Inc via Amazon. Came in a cardboard box with a nice lining.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #13,617 of 14,386

I just received my replacement headband this afternoon. On March 28, I contacted HiFiMan, they requested my receipt and a picture of the yoke. Once they had those, they shipped immediately. 7 days from initial contwct to problem solved. Shipped from US, IIRC. I bought from an authorized dealer, but i don't think my warranty was good. Regardless, they charged me nothing. Long-term, I can't say how they will hold up. They don't seem any different from the ones that broke, but the ones that broke didn't seem any different from my others that haven't broken. Who knows. The process was fast and simple enough that i won't hold the break against them as long as this replacement holds up.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #13,618 of 14,386
I just received my replacement headband this afternoon. On March 28, I contacted HiFiMan, they requested my receipt and a picture of the yoke. Once they had those, they shipped immediately. 7 days from initial contwct to problem solved. Shipped from US, IIRC. I bought from an authorized dealer, but i don't think my warranty was good. Regardless, they charged me nothing. Long-term, I can't say how they will hold up. They don't seem any different from the ones that broke, but the ones that broke didn't seem any different from my others that haven't broken. Who knows. The process was fast and simple enough that i won't hold the break against them as long as this replacement holds up.
That's much better than I was expecting, thanks!

*stops looking for HD700 deals to replace these*

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #13,619 of 14,386

Yeah, me too!

It sounds like this won't help you, but for others: I started the headband replacement process when the yoke was noticeable cracked but not fully broken. Which means, I was still able to use the headphones, albeit with anxiety, while I waited for the replacement. So, don't wait for them to become unusuable. If you're lucky, you'll get the replacement without losing any headtime with these.

Amusingly, the yoke basically exploded as soon as I started to physically replace it. Good timing!

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #13,620 of 14,386

I'd still keep looking for a HD700 :wink: and not as a replacement but as a secondary headphone since the HD700 has a different sound from the HE400i and to me works better with some genres over the HE400i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back