Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 13, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #6,151 of 14,386
  I just want to confirm that this is what the 400i drivers are supposed to look like because I thought I saw people with a different magnet array on theirs I just want to be sure there wasn't a mixup in the factory and I ended up getting the wrong drivers. http://imgur.com/LCoIZBC

this is what mine look like

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #6,153 of 14,386
  I just want to confirm that this is what the 400i drivers are supposed to look like because I thought I saw people with a different magnet array on theirs I just want to be sure there wasn't a mixup in the factory and I ended up getting the wrong drivers. http://imgur.com/LCoIZBC

so, this is interesting, because it looks for all the world like ours are 400s drivers.  But, there's simply no way my driver is as sensitive as the 400s driver is.  The 400s measures as more sensitive than my THX00 and my 400i is a good 8-10 dB less sensitive than my THX00 is.  I'd be more worried, but the old 400i magnet array looked exactly like the 400 magnet array, and we know they weren't anywhere near the same.  Kind of bizarre.  Maybe HiFiMan has quietly changed to this style of magnet array for all their 400 series (maybe even all the circular cup series).  It looks like it would be more open sounding, as its less obstructed.

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #6,154 of 14,386
here's mine:

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #6,156 of 14,386
so, after obsessively comparing 400i and 400s pictures, I've convinced myself that the 400i magnets are larger, and that some of the newer issued ones have the metal backing plate removed.  AFAIK the 400s always had that plate removed, because they had weaker magnets, and thus didn't need the structural strength they provided, but this would be a new development is this is the 400i magnet array, but with the backing plate removed.  The backing plate serves to hold the magnets in place, it's not a part of the sound creating process.  On the 560, great effort was made to make the backing plate smaller, and thus lose some of the closed in feeling planars are known for.  

I wonder if HiFiMan believed that the backing plate was no longer necessary on the 400i and decided to do away with it to create more air and less dampening issues?

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #6,157 of 14,386
It could also have been new manufacturing process, cheaper production cost, etc.  Or like in the HE-400 which had 4 driver revisions IIRC.

The backing plate looks more like a bass port or protective cover, its not very ridged to be used as a structural piece.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #6,158 of 14,386
  It could also have been new manufacturing process, cheaper production cost, etc.  Or like in the HE-400 which had 4 driver revisions IIRC.

The backing plate looks more like a bass port or protective cover, its not very ridged to be used as a structural piece.

well, the purpose of those backplates in planars has always been to hold the magnets in place.  That's why they all have them, and the dual sided designs (like audeze and earlier HiFiMan) have even thicker plates.  A lot of effort in recent years has gone into trying to make the backing plates more open, without compromising the magnets structurally.  That's one of the main things that the HE 560 strived for, as it had probably the most open backplate of any planar with a strong magnet.  The HE400s had weaker magnets, which allowed it to not have a back plate (but also was part of the reason it didn't have the characteristic flat planar bass).

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #6,159 of 14,386
just weighed mine, and... 360 grams... exactly halfway between the 400s and 400i.  Also measured output, and there's simply no way it's a 400s driver, it's not nearly sensitive enough.  Does appear for all the world it's a 400i driver put on a 400s driver mount that doesn't have a metal backplate.  So fascinating.  

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #6,160 of 14,386
So does removing the backplate on the 400i change the sound? Not implying that I will but just wondering.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #6,161 of 14,386
  So does removing the backplate on the 400i change the sound? Not implying that I will but just wondering.

afaik the magnets are attached to the backplate on the (normal/old/?) 400i, so I don't think you can do that without destroying the driver.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #6,162 of 14,386
I think my 400i is developing the issue I had earlier.  I'm also keep pulling the right cord out of the headphone unintentionally by the slightest of pull.  It is noticeably loose and pulls out SUPER easily.  Between these to issues I'm thinking I'm going to need a full exchange.

Having said that, what would be a natural upgrade to the 400i?  I may just exchange up to a higher end model instead of replacing for another 400i.  560? LCD-2?  I'm a little hesitant with Hifiman with the quality control issues mine has had, but I do like the sound.  I'm worried the 560 would be a little too analytical for my tastes, as I prefer a slightly to the warm side of neutral with my headphones. (I also like that deep planar bass)

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #6,163 of 14,386
  I think my 400i is developing the issue I had earlier.  I'm also keep pulling the right cord out of the headphone unintentionally by the slightest of pull.  It is noticeably loose and pulls out SUPER easily.  Between these to issues I'm thinking I'm going to need a full exchange.

Having said that, what would be a natural upgrade to the 400i?  I may just exchange up to a higher end model instead of replacing for another 400i.  560? LCD-2?  I'm a little hesitant with Hifiman with the quality control issues mine has had, but I do like the sound.  I'm worried the 560 would be a little too analytical for my tastes, as I prefer a slightly to the warm side of neutral with my headphones. (I also like that deep planar bass)

One of the reasons I like the screw on SMC connector, never have problems with accidental disconnects, but then again as some like it to be easily removable so that they don't damage the headphone if they yank on the cable by mistake.

As for a "natural" upgrade, I don't think there really is one, the HE-560 and LCD-2f are different enough that I kept them all.  Also should be concerned with Audeze workmanship as many on the LCD-2/3 thread are having driver failures.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #6,164 of 14,386
One of the reasons I like the screw on SMC connector, never have problems with accidental disconnects, but then again as some like it to be easily removable so that they don't damage the headphone if they yank on the cable by mistake.

As for a "natural" upgrade, I don't think there really is one, the HE-560 and LCD-2f are different enough that I kept them all.  Also should be concerned with Audeze workmanship as many on the LCD-2/3 thread are having driver failures.

Yea I was just reading up on the LCD-2 thread and was seeing all the talk on QC issues. Maybe I'll just exchange for another 400i. Maybe ask if they have any with the smc connectors. Otherwise maybe I'll try a 560.

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #6,165 of 14,386

According to early impressions perhaps the new Hifiman Edition X might have similar tonality. ( HE-X is said to be slightly warmer sounding than supposedly neutral HE-1000) HE-560 has different tonality, LCD-2 is probably closer to HE-400i in tonality, but in my opinion it provides only modest upgrade in sound quality yet significant downgrade in comfort. HE-X is also very efficient and light/comfortable headphone with the same ergonomic headband as HE-400i has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back