Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 5, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #5,926 of 14,386
for how long you used the 650 and 400i? also which amp are you using?
you need to get used to it.
400i arent bright, just very detailed.

im treble sensitive too but 400i are very smooth, non fatiguing HPs.
i always give the example of the DT770, i felt like the headphones are shooting tiny nails into my ears :basshead: .

Using schiit modi and magni 2 uber. Have used my hd650 for like 4 years and my the he400i for a few hours lol. In any case I think it may be a case of the 400i just exposing poorly mastered recordings. I spent some time listening to a more wider variety of music from my collection and for some music, it does sound better than the hd650, others not so much. There is definitely some weird peak in the treble, which is causing the piercing sound. The hd650 sounds much more even and smooth.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #5,927 of 14,386
Using schiit modi and magni 2 uber. Have used my hd650 for like 4 years and my the he400i for a few hours lol. In any case I think it may be a case of the 400i just exposing poorly mastered recordings. I spent some time listening to a more wider variety of music from my collection and for some music, it does sound better than the hd650, others not so much. There is definitely some weird peak in the treble, which is causing the piercing sound. The hd650 sounds much more even and smooth.

Yeah, HE400i has an 8-10k peak. It's responsible for it sounding so energetic, like a Grado on steroids. I cut it a tiny tiny amount with EQ (like 2dB, which is barely audible) to pull a tiny bit of the edge off, but maintain the headphone's character, which I like.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #5,928 of 14,386
Mad Dog Pro, Alpha Dog, ZMF VibroX MkII, and ZMF Blackwoods all have bass tuning port if you want a good amount of cranial thump.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #5,929 of 14,386

im using the mk2 stack too (non uber) with the 400i.
i really think its just an adjusting period, it wont bother you after a day or two.

when im moved to the stack from my fulla the 400i felt a bit bright, but it wasnt actually brighter just a lot more detailed.
i got used to it very quickly and im sure you will be quite happy with the setup :) .

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #5,930 of 14,386
Yeah, HE400i has an 8-10k peak. It's responsible for it sounding so energetic, like a Grado on steroids. I cut it a tiny tiny amount with EQ (like 2dB, which is barely audible) to pull a tiny bit of the edge off, but maintain the headphone's character, which I like.

Wow, I've yet to find any Hifiman phones harsh enough to require any EQ on the treble. Spend a few minutes with a pair of Beyer DT990s... now thats some jacked up treble. I love 'em for their clarity and openness combined with that often fun V shaped sound signature, I have to EQ them on everything but well recorded jazz or classical. We all hear differently however. I'm just happy I don't need to futz wth EQ much at all.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #5,931 of 14,386
Wow, I've yet to find any Hifiman phones harsh enough to require any EQ on the treble. Spend a few minutes with a pair of Beyer DT990s... now thats some jacked up treble. I love 'em for their clarity and openness combined with that often fun V shaped sound signature, I have to EQ them on everything but well recorded jazz or classical. We all hear differently however. I'm just happy I don't need to futz wth EQ much at all.

I certainly don't think they "require" EQ by any means. And the DT990 is the only headphone I've ever truly hated. I honestly doubt most people could even hear the EQ adjustment I make in the 400i, and I use them without any adjustment in my iPhone all the time. So, it's really not a huge deal.

I was a sound guy for several years, so I don't find using EQ "fussy" at all. I also find that understating EQ is really useful for describing headphones. By messing with it you learn how to really know what frequencies are causing what effects.

It's also crazy to me, because I see people on here who go through like 20 amps and end up buying fairly distorting tube amps chasing a "warm" sound, which can easily be obtained with a really simple EQ adjustment. Or they will make all kinds of bizarre looking "mods" to up sub bass 4dB or "add a little sparkle" when, again, EQ does that with the touch of a button and doesn't uglify your $1000 audio gear.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #5,932 of 14,386
I got my pair yesterday and have had a good 5 hours or so to listen to them and I really like them a lot. Great mids with a smooth yet articulate treble and I love the bass texture. Also the soundstage is better than I was expecting though they're still a little behind the HD600 and HE-400 in width. I'll have more impressions after more time with them but so far I'm liking what I hear and at $299 they were a steal.

I have a DT990 and they're highs are way brighter and more harsh than the 400i. The highs imo are about perfect on the 400i in terms of not being to bright or to dull. Even the original HE-400's highs are less harsh than the DT990.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #5,933 of 14,386
I certainly don't think they "require" EQ by any means. And the DT990 is the only headphone I've ever truly hated. I honestly doubt most people could even hear the EQ adjustment I make in the 400i, and I use them without any adjustment in my iPhone all the time. So, it's really not a huge deal.

I was a sound guy for several years, so I don't find using EQ "fussy" at all. I also find that understating EQ is really useful for describing headphones. By messing with it you learn how to really know what frequencies are causing what effects.

It's also crazy to me, because I see people on here who go through like 20 amps and end up buying fairly distorting tube amps chasing a "warm" sound, which can easily be obtained with a really simple EQ adjustment. Or they will make all kinds of bizarre looking "mods" to up sub bass 4dB or "add a little sparkle" when, again, EQ does that with the touch of a button and doesn't uglify your $1000 audio gear.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from a 2db adjustment is negligible. I've worked in the video industry for decades and I understand the usefulness and necessity of proper EQ. Working for a local TV station, I've been witnessed situations where audio is treated second fiddle to video and people who did not know what they were doing caused more harm than good by misusing EQ and other audio tools. Don't get me started on all the comprssion and limiting we do. My speciality has always tilted to the video side so I've often taken a less is better approach when dealing with audio. I do applaud those who know what they are doing and take the time to learn how to do it well when it comes to audio production.

Yeah, I happen to have a love/hate relationship with the DT990s. Lucky for me EQ makes a great relationship counselor. It is one of the headphones I do think about selling but never do.

Regarding tube amps, I've tried a few but I've always come back to solid state. I've never felt the warmth and euphonic qualities were worth the added distortion, heat, and inconsistencies of tubes. Please, tube lovers, I don't want to start a flame war. These are my opinions and mine alone. There will be just that many tubes left for you since I won't be buying them.

Post edited for spelin erors :rolleyes:

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #5,936 of 14,386
  Also how is the 400i bass compare to DT990 in terms of bass? I thought the DT990 has more bass ?

i have not listened to 400i
i owned 990 pro. and the right side driver just died on its own for literally no reason. no falls, no jerks, no drops, nothing at all. many have reported that their either driver just dies cause of very poor QC.

but the sound of those 990 is just excellent. yes they are too bright, at least in the start. the best thing about 990s that i found was that they reacted so well to burn in. after 50+ hours, treble just gets recessed on its own. bass becomes more deep. though they are hard to drive. i had 250ohm version. 
sound stage is very very wide. lacks depth but its very very stereo wide. 
my fav thing about them was bass. details were ok, and treble got balanced after burn in. 
one more thing, the clamp is too damn tight. i can confirm the change in their hardness did not decrease more than 10% after even a year. very fatiguing for me at least, and i have a normal size head!
so unlucky cant sell them with one side working, also dont want to invest at the moment in to replacement driver. honestly would personally not invest in any beyerdynamic product ever. i know it might be just my bad luck but thats my decision.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #5,937 of 14,386
  Also how is the 400i bass compare to DT990 in terms of bass? I thought the DT990 has more bass ?

The DT990 has more bass impact compared to the 400i but imo that's the only thing you can say they do a little better. I think the texture of the 400i's bass is much better and has better speed and resolution. The detail in the bass is very good and I think except for bass impact the 400i is better than the original 400's bass.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #5,938 of 14,386

The DT990 has more bass impact compared to the 400i but imo that's the only thing you can say they do a little better. I think the texture of the 400i's bass is much better and has better speed and resolution. The detail in the bass is very good and I think except for bass impact the 400i is better than the original 400's bass.

Bass on 400i is at least 2 orders of magnitude better than dt990. Tight, textured, deep, layered, fast. Wonderful!

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #5,939 of 14,386

I think of it like the DT990 hits you with a hammer, really hard, in one spot. The HE400i clobbers you with a snow shovel that somehow moves at lightning speed.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,940 of 14,386
I think of it like the DT990 hits you with a hammer, really hard, in one spot. The HE400i clobbers you with a snow shovel that somehow moves at lightning speed.

That's a good description. The hammer feels like more impact (impulse) because the impact of the shovel is distributed (diffused) over much more area. But, I think it is a false impact that is more showy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back