Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 2, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #4,291 of 14,386
@Hifi59
, thanks for the reply, I've tried where my girlfriend would switch the cables or not and put the headphone back on my head without me being able to see or feel the cable and there were only two times that I was able to notice a difference, on my HD-700 and HD-800, the stock cables vs self made canare cable.  I was using them with the stock cable for a few months before building the new cables so I was quite familiar with the sound of them.  After changing the cables the sound of the stock cables seemed on the thin side and seemed to lacked dynamics compared to the new cables, this was a very subtle change but still noticeable.  A cable change with all my other headphones didn't have any effect on the sound that I could hear, mid/high end cables I've bought and tried include a used Forza Audioworks Hybrid Silver/Copper ($215) for my HE-560/400i/400 and a used Double Helix Hybrid Silver/Copper ($375) for my LCD-2f, couldn't hear any difference from the canare cables that I built.  If going for looks these two cables are gorgeous and definitely look like high end custom stuff.

I can believe that you did'nt hear a difference with the Forza cable. I didn't hear any difference with a Gotham cable on my HE560s but the Cardas cable did make a difference for the better with them. Bass went deeper,punchier,fuller. Midrange moved forward a bit and the highs took on a bit more air and sparkle. Again, these differences are not huge, but they are definitely there. Enough to justify the 100.00 investment to me. The changes the Cardas made to the 400i were even more pronounced. It was always easier for me to hear these difference going from the stock cable to the Cardas more so than going the other way.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #4,294 of 14,386
I can believe that you did'nt hear a difference with the Forza cable. I didn't hear any difference with a Gotham cable on my HE560s but the Cardas cable did make a difference for the better with them. Bass went deeper,punchier,fuller. Midrange moved forward a bit and the highs took on a bit more air and sparkle. Again, these differences are not huge, but they are definitely there. Enough to justify the 100.00 investment to me. The changes the Cardas made to the 400i were even more pronounced. It was always easier for me to hear these difference going from the stock cable to the Cardas more so than going the other way.

Just to be clear I was comparing the Forza and Double Helix to the canare or mogami cables that I made, not the stock ones.  I change the stock cables on most of my headphones because of the length, my amps are on a coffee table and my recliner is about 7ft away so I usually make 9-10ft cables and 3.5ft cables for headphones that I may want to take out.  Others that I've changed are due to being too stiff (SR-225e and RS2e), getting tangled to easily (HD700), none removable to removable (TH-600, DT-990 (dual entry mini XLR-Audeze type), Grado RS2e & SR-225e (HifiMan SMC connectors)

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #4,295 of 14,386

Any specifics on that $100 cable. Checking ebay... there are lots of Cardas cable makers.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #4,297 of 14,386
Just got these in the mail, and I'm very happy with these. The soundstage is wide (albeit not as much as the DT990s), the bass is meaty and well reproduced (albeit not as much there as the T90s when pushed to be), the details don't take a back seat, mids and vocals are rich, treble is great, needless to say..bye bye T90s. Definitely sticking to HiFiMAN with my ext upgrade when the time comes.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,299 of 14,386
  Just got these in the mail, and I'm very happy with these. The soundstage is wide (albeit not as much as the DT990s), the bass is meaty and well reproduced (albeit not as much there as the T90s when pushed to be), the details don't take a back seat, mids and vocals are rich, treble is great, needless to say..bye bye T90s. Definitely sticking to HiFiMAN with my ext upgrade when the time comes.

Ahh. the feel of a new headphone.
Enjoy.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #4,300 of 14,386
  bye bye T90.

That's a strong word... congratulations. enjoy your new headphone.

That really is a strong statement. But loving these headphones as much as I do, I get it.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #4,301 of 14,386
What do you think about the new Audeze EL 8 vs 400i?
I'm very interested 
smile_phones.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #4,302 of 14,386
I'm very interested 
smile_phones.gif

I only listened to a pre-production pair of the EL-8, but I honestly did not think it was better than the 400i in any way. (And unless the production EL-8 significantly changed, I would probably still think this if I listened to the final version.) Combine that with the fact that the 400i is cheaper, and I believe that the 400i is the better buy.

*Edit: I want to clarify that I listened to the open EL-8, not the closed one.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #4,303 of 14,386
I'm very interested 
smile_phones.gif

Have both the HE-400i and EL8 open, for the price the HE-400i is a winner, IMO it better than the EL8 even if there were the same price.  The EL8 is very efficient for a planar, I can get great sound of my Galaxy S5 or Fiio X1 while the HE-400i will need a better dac/amp to sound its best.  @ $600 or so for the EL8 I think its over priced but it is still a pretty good sounding headphone, just not quite like the LCD line which is what many were expecting.

If you go to the EL8 thread there are a lot of comparisons to many different headphones.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,304 of 14,386

Have both the HE-400i and EL8 open, for the price the HE-400i is a winner, IMO it better than the EL8 even if there were the same price.  The EL8 is very efficient for a planar, I can get great sound of my Galaxy S5 or Fiio X1 while the HE-400i will need a better dac/amp to sound its best.  @ $600 or so for the EL8 I think its over priced but it is still a pretty good sounding headphone, just not quite like the LCD line which is what many were expecting.

If you go to the EL8 thread there are a lot of comparisons to many different headphones.

it's $600? it's $850 where I'm at, haha
i didn't know the official price of el8 is $600....

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #4,305 of 14,386

I agree though my comparison was between the EL-8 closed and the HE-400i. personally preferred the HE-400i & also think the official MSRP of the EL-8 is overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back