Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Apr 6, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #3,856 of 14,386
curious as to what amp you were using for the HD-650 and HD-700, I've found that these two headphones are picky with amps or even tubes in my case, using a Lyr2/Project Ember.

Using the Schiit Vali/Modi stack which sounded great with the HD650'S not so with the HD700'S unless it was at low volume. The bass on the he400i has less impact than the HD650'S on first impression but bizarrely just listenong to them out of my fiio e18 on high gain and with bass boost on and they sound really good. If they didn't look so goofy, with that short cable I might have considered taking them outdoors!

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,857 of 14,386
Using the Schiit Vali/Modi stack which sounded great with the HD650'S not so with the HD700'S unless it was at low volume. The bass on the he400i has less impact than the HD650'S on first impression but bizarrely just listenong to them out of my fiio e18 on high gain and with bass boost on and they sound really good. If they didn't look so goofy, with that short cable I might have considered taking them outdoors!

Thanks for responding and giving your take.

I tried the HE-400i on my modi/magni stack and it didn't sound good, the highs were too bright and there was not much low end.  Using the Project Ember (bugle boy tube) and the HE-400i has the low extension that I was expecting and the mids/highs are just right with good detail and sound stage.

The HD-700 pairs better with the Ly2 (telefunken tubes), probably because of the higher impedance, the highs are smooth and the bass goes low and has some weight, not like a HE-400i but its not bad.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #3,859 of 14,386
Personally, I find the Vali does not have enough guts to really drive the HE400i bass to its potential.  I have the combo and now the Vali is regulated to a drawer as a backup if I need it. The HD700 are capable of fabulously deep and tight bass, closer to the HD800 well driven (versus the HD650) and that was with the Lyr and Amperex tubes. Although the Vali is good, the HE400i would go to another level with the Lyr.

Quote:

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #3,860 of 14,386
The HD700 are capable of fabulously deep and tight bass, closer to the HD800 well driven (versus the HD650) and that was with the Lyr and Amperex tubes. Although the Vali is good, the HE400i would go to another level with the Lyr.

I have a HD-800 on the way so good to know that the lyr is a good match.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #3,863 of 14,386
400i has a little more mid-bass and less lower-treble than the 560, making it darker sounding in general, but it also has more mid-trebel than the 560, and a lot of people can be sensitive to that area.  400i bright or not depends on the person.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #3,864 of 14,386
I have been digging this monster thread. The question of which amp has very good synergy with these HP is quite elusive :p
I infer from many comments that the Magni-2 sounds very good, but it lacks authority at the bottom end (?). The Ifi micro iDSD seems to be doing good (but it is significantly more expensive!). No clear contender. I guess I am looking for a big sound, with a solid bass, fast mids and sweet highs. Does such an amp or amp/dac combination exist at <$300? :)

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #3,865 of 14,386
  I have been digging this monster thread. The question of which amp has very good synergy with these HP is quite elusive :p
I infer from many comments that the Magni-2 sounds very good, but it lacks authority at the bottom end (?). The Ifi micro iDSD seems to be doing good (but it is significantly more expensive!). No clear contender. I guess I am looking for a big sound, with a solid bass, fast mids and sweet highs. Does such an amp or amp/dac combination exist at <$300? :)

I've been running:

Flac --> Schiit Modi 2 uber --> Garage1217 Project Polaris

If you get a standard Modi 2, you'd be looking at about $350. I've been really happy with what I'm getting from this setup. (Relatively) affordable goodness, I'd say.

[Although now I've got my eye on the Project Solstice and the Alpha Primes. Does it ever end??..]

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3,868 of 14,386
Great thread! I actually bought the 560s and the 400is and returned the 560s as I preferred the 400is signature and bass response.

My favourite amp/dac combo is a little dot 1+ with the usual Sylvania Gold Pins and BB Op-Amp and an Aune T1 Mk2 with Genalex tube and cap upgrades. Sound is divine! I've used this on my Oppo HA-1 and Bifrost/Lyr2 and and the latter is very good - tho not as warm and involving as the LD/Aune. The HA-1 is too bright in the mid-treble/treble for this can, IMO.

My experience is that the 400i really shines with an warm tube setup. Every genre sounds fantastic, bass is thick yet defined, and the mid and treble are well balanced without brightness.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #3,869 of 14,386

I've been running:

Flac --> Schiit Modi 2 uber --> Garage1217 Project Polaris

If you get a standard Modi 2, you'd be looking at about $350. I've been really happy with what I'm getting from this setup. (Relatively) affordable goodness, I'd say.

[Although now I've got my eye on the Project Solstice and the Alpha Primes. Does it ever end??..]

Actually, it can end.  the combination of 400i and Primes have really quelled my interest in other cans.  I think they are fantastic compliments for each other.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #3,870 of 14,386
Actually, it can end.  the combination of 400i and Primes have really quelled my interest in other cans.  I think they are fantastic compliments for each other.

Well, then maybe there's hope. Although I'm not sure what I'd do with my idle time. Oh, wait... I'd listen to music!

How would you describe the bass of the primes, relative to the 400i? I don't *think* I'm a basshead, but I do have to have it. For example, I recently let go of a pair of hd700's that, however great they were, really didn't have the bass I needed (and didn't seem to like EQ, either).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back