Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 8, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #3,647 of 14,386
  So, I'm sitting here writing a paper for my philosophy class while listening to a variety of jazz on my 400i. I had to take a break so I can post just how amazing these headphones perform under these circumstances. I feel like I can write a whole book...
tongue_smile.gif

They work pretty well for my graduate school as well!

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,648 of 14,386
Hi Everyone, new here on Head-Fi but spending a lot time in the forums.  Anyway, I've had my HE-400i for about 6 months now, really loving it with most of the music that I listen to.  I got the HE-400 in Feb of 2014 after I retired, a present to myself.  I've enjoyed it for a few months and found this Head-Fi site and my wallet has been hurting ever since.  I've done the grill mod on these and that really helped open up the sound stage to me and got the highs smoother to my ears and  I also made a custom head band to make them really comfortable, to the point where I can fall asleep with them on.  I've posted a picture in the HE-400 thread.

Back to the HE-400i, I got these a few months after they came out along with the HE-560 after I had a few great investments payoff.  I was going to sell my HE-400 and keep either the HE-400i or HE-560 after I listened to them for a few weeks  but ended up keeping all three.  The sound of the HE-400 and HE-400i is different enough and since I listen to music in my living room, lanai and bedroom it made keeping them easier to justify.  My impressions of the HE-400i is that its a really great headphone if you can only have one, its sound is great for pretty much all the types of music that I listen to (jazz, classic/soft rock, rock, classical, pop, J-pop, K-pop, some EDM and punk/alternative).  They may not be the best for any one type of music but are more like a jack of all trades and don't really offend much.  I really hate the stock cable, way to short and too stiff.  I got a cable off Amazon (silver plated copper) 8 wire braid and its be great.  The comfort is pretty good but not in the same class as my HD-700, HD-598, SRH-1840, and X1.  Also did the grill mod on these (see picture) which made the sound stage wider and smoothed the highs like it did with the HE-400.

My son was over on a break from college and listened to the HE-560 and begged me for them so I gave it to him after only having it for 2 months.   All of his friends can't believe the sound of them and I've gotten a few calls from their parents asking about the HE-560 and getting them for birthday or x-mas presents.  Most freak when I tell them the cost and then go silent when I tell them that they may need an additional DAC/AMP to get the most out of them.  I'm still thinking of getting a second one (sorry wallet).

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #3,649 of 14,386

Dear Matt TCG
I'm new to this and your review on the HE-400i is very helpful. I am wondering if you can help me further?
Being new to headphones is odd because I am a true audiophile and have been for over 40 years. I have had this opinion / believe that headphones are like 3-D glasses or hats that give headaches. I currently have a Focal model, which is ok but the signature sound is bass forward and closed end headphones are not as airy and put a bit too much pressure in my ears.
My next purchase I am strongly leaning towards Plannars & open back, but certainly that is not final. I am a critical listener finding myself listening to details, instruments and vocals instead of enjoying the songs.
Having said all this, I have a short shopping list of models I have never listened to, which perhaps you have and would size up for me:
HE-400i,  Mrspeakers Mad Dog,  Senn HD 600 and Beyer DT 990. 
I understand your references may be very different than mine, but with your experience it can only help.
In addition, if you are of the opinion that I should consider another model, please do advice.
I hope I am not offending you for your opinion.
Roland 

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #3,650 of 14,386
Would the HE400i be a good first headphone to get into the 'headphone game'? I've had previous cheap headphones and earbuds before but want to spend an investment on something nice. I currently only have a Sony laptop for a source but plan on getting a dac/amp in the next month or so.

I'm also looking at the HD650 as well btw.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,651 of 14,386
Would the HE400i be a good first headphone to get into the 'headphone game'? I've had previous cheap headphones and earbuds before but want to spend an investment on something nice. I currently only have a Sony laptop for a source but plan on getting a dac/amp in the next month or so.

As with any headphone, it all depends on what kind of music you listen to and what are your sound preferences. Share a little about your love for music, that will help us see if these are the right ones for you.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #3,652 of 14,386
As with any headphone, it all depends on what kind of music you listen to and what are your sound preferences. Share a little about your love for music, that will help us see if these are the right ones for you.

Hello! I like rock music and its variations (not so much metal or the super hard stuff) as well as classical. Really enjoy all music but those are my main genre. I guess I would be looking for something that does well with a lot of different genres maybe?

These will be for home use, so I realize the nature of open backing as something to not use where you don't want your music heard or where you don't want to hear where you're at in your music.
biggrin.gif

PS. cool avatar. Would you say your change is made of bacon? Lol

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #3,653 of 14,386
Hello! I like rock music and its variations (not so much metal or the super hard stuff) as well as classical. Really enjoy all music but those are my main genre. I guess I would be looking for something that does well with a lot of different genres maybe?

These will be for home use, so I realize the nature of open backing as something to not use where you don't want your music heard or where you don't want to hear where you're at in your music. :D  

PS. cool avatar. Would you say your change is made of bacon? Lol

I'd say the 400i is a safe choice for you, then :)

My poor piggy. Poor poor piggy. Damn you, head-fi!

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #3,654 of 14,386
I'd say the 400i is a safe choice for you, then
smily_headphones1.gif

My poor piggy. Poor poor piggy. Damn you, head-fi!

A 'safe' choice... what's unsafe about the HD650 if you don't mind me asking? It seems to be an acquired taste with different reviews from raving to ranting. 
blink.gif

The HE400i is a much newer headphone to with a cool technology not having the same components as speakers. The idea of planar magnetics or ortho magnetics (upon reading them) is a really cool concept. As well as electrostatic, but planar magnetics are affordable in a sense!

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,655 of 14,386
Sorry, I will never give input on a headphone I've never heard. Notice I said "a safe choice" not "the safe choice." Big difference...

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #3,656 of 14,386

safe choice because everything even mediocre mastered recordings sounds good out of he-400i. You may like it, you may not like it, but everything sounds good out of he-400i. It has enough micro details to satisfy people in the hobby, yet hides bad recording enough to still be musically listenable.

by the way, dt880 and he-400i has a very different sound though.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #3,657 of 14,386

safe choice because everything even mediocre mastered recordings sounds good out of he-400i. You may like it, you may not like it, but everything sounds good out of he-400i. It has enough micro details to satisfy people in the hobby, yet hides bad recording enough to still be musically listenable.

by the way, dt880 and he-400i has a very different sound though.

Oh that sounds like it might be a winner, a lot of what I listen to is Spotify and that's not exactly 'best recordings' being 320kbps on premium. Although it sounds really good to me on most albums... almost CD like. ? Anyways I'm glad you mentioned it satisfies people in the hobby but it plays well with most music.

Yes, I was looking into the DT880 as well. Between that and the Q/K7xx are the least expensive I'm looking at. The HD650 seems like a good choice too and is on sale but I don't know if it'll sound good out of a laptop. (My only source at the moment for a month or so)

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #3,658 of 14,386

If you want the HD-650 its on sale at amazon, I just ordered one for $290.  The HE-400i is $500, you can use the difference of $210 and get a pretty good amp

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #3,659 of 14,386

If you want the HD-650 its on sale at amazon, I just ordered one for $290

Yes, I saw this which is why I'm very interested on it. Thank you! I believe Adorama has it for the same price too but Amazon would be easier to order from in my case.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #3,660 of 14,386
  Oh that sounds like it might be a winner, a lot of what I listen to is Spotify and that's not exactly 'best recordings' being 320kbps on premium. Although it sounds really good to me on most albums... almost CD like. ? Anyways I'm glad you mentioned it satisfies people in the hobby but it plays well with most music.

Yes, I was looking into the DT880 as well. Between that and the Q/K7xx are the least expensive I'm looking at. The HD650 seems like a good choice too and is on sale but I don't know if it'll sound good out of a laptop. (My only source at the moment for a month or so)

What i meant by mastering was how the albums was produced, not the 320 kbps file quality. Everybody uses Spotify, it's more than good enough.
What amps are you looking to buy by the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back