Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,756 of 14,386
I agree with most of the reviews here, I have had the 400i for about 3 days and I can say they suit my sound signature perfectly being warm and mid biased without having harsh treble. After I got used to the sound (or burn in of the headphone) the difference between them and the he300sI currently own is night and day in terms of clarity and balance. For people who are fans of the mid centric IEMs (like I am) like the westone um2 or shure 535, the 400i is a much better sounding version of those IEMs.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,757 of 14,386

For me, it was pretty much the opposite. I got my first taste of true fidelity with the Pioneer sx-650 and a pair of Large Advents back in the late 70's when I was 15. Took me two summers of cutting grass to save the money. When I got out of college and got a real job, I tried lot's of speaker system to take me to the promised land. None of them did. Then I found headphones about 5 years ago and got amazingly close to where I wanted to be in terms of music reproduction...and quickly. 

There is just too much room treatment, and high dollars with speaker systems compared to hp setups. The "room" with a hp will always be perfect. Plus with speaker setups and a house full of kids usually don't mix. 

Mine started when my brother brought a 15" cabinet home with a huge horn driver. We built some Heathkit tube stuff for an amp and pre-amp, hooked it up to the record changer in my dad's Zenith console... ancient history.
I guess I should have never done that... it was all crap fi...
BUT it was the beginning of my fascination with  and devotion to HiFi Audio..
If someone would have convinced me that I needed to spend another $50 to enjoy sound.
Maybe I would have quit right there. Thankfully, that was long before the Internet...

Anyway, to my point, did you "enjoy" your first set of headphones?
Would you have never bought them knowing that they were NOT Pinnacle FI ?
Do we all need to start at the top to enjoy music??

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #1,760 of 14,386
Actually, by cutting above 40 Hz like that, it looks like leveling instead of a boost.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #1,761 of 14,386
Wow! I can't imaging adding such amount of bass on these phones. Their bass is pretty strong already.

This is all sub bass though. HiFiMan planars have always been able to respond well technically to sub bass enhancement. You wouldn't want this for most genres but this gives EDM some smile-inducing rumble :p

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #1,762 of 14,386
This is all sub bass though. HiFiMan planars have always been able to respond well technically to sub bass enhancement. You wouldn't want this for most genres but this gives EDM some smile-inducing rumble :p

Ok, thanks. Normally I don't do EQ, but I might give it a try when I get chance. I don't listen to EDM much though.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,764 of 14,386
I got mine from Razordog. 10 minutes after I ordered, they shipped.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #1,765 of 14,386
I got mine from Razordog. 10 minutes after I ordered, they shipped.

So you have yours right now? Or are they still on their way?

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,766 of 14,386
Listening to Ozzy's Diary of a Madman as I type. Clear, articulate, glorious...

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #1,767 of 14,386
Listening to Ozzy's Diary of a Madman as I type. Clear, articulate, glorious...

Wow, I really want to re-place my order there, but I feel as though that'd be rude and inconvenient... HE-400i is a real temptress, though.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,768 of 14,386
  Wow, I really want to re-place my order there, but I feel as though that'd be rude and inconvenient... HE-400i is a real temptress, though.

It's worth the wait, and the guys at Headphone.com are righteous. 

The hyperbole building up in me regarding these headphones is epic.  So far, they are literally everything I have wanted in a headphone since I started this crazy journey.

This mids are just a touch too much relative to the bass, but that is the single easiest EQ fix possible.  Otherwise, every genre from extreme metal has been spot on.  I'm doing an evaluation of various types of metal/hard rock that sound like crap on my other headphones.  So far I have not heard anything on the HE-400i's that sounded better on another set, with the one exception of the HE-560's and their ability to portray female vocals and live recordings. But again, cutting some of the upper mids may put them on par with their big brother.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,769 of 14,386

The hyperbole building up in me regarding these headphones is epic.  So far, they are literally everything I have wanted in a headphone since I started this crazy journey.

This mids are just a touch too much relative to the bass, but that is the single easiest EQ fix possible.  Otherwise, every genre from extreme metal has been spot on.  I'm doing an evaluation of various types of metal/hard rock that sound like crap on my other headphones.  So far I have not heard anything on the HE-400i's that sounded better on another set, with the one exception of the HE-560's and their ability to portray female vocals and live recordings. But again, cutting some of the upper mids may put them on par with their big brother.

Yeah, I'll wait because I've already waited so long and I'm not that impatient and/or inconsiderate. I'm pretty sure the 400is will be everything I want and it's nice to know you're enjoying them. I'm really excited to hear how they portray bass texture and speed in person. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,770 of 14,386

Nope 
tongue.gif
 But both certainly have their place 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back