Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,621 of 14,386
  So the all moding is the size of grille? I'm right?

It is the air/mesh ratio of the grills more than anything else. More open grilles = slightly more open sound.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,623 of 14,386
We've got an official graph and pro review folks! 

http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/Review-HiFiMan-HE-400i-Headphone.htm

The 400i's look quite bright compared to the darker colored LCD2 and HE500... I'm really thinking about just buying some 500's.  Comfort aside, is there any reason to prefer the 400i over the 500?  This seems to be one of the most important question to remain insufficiently addressed.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,624 of 14,386

http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/Review-HiFiMan-HE-400i-Headphone.htm

The 400i's look quite bright compared to the darker colored LCD2 and HE500... I'm really thinking about just buying some 500's.  Comfort aside, is there any reason to prefer the 400i over the 500?  This seems to be one of the most important question to remain insufficiently addressed.

What are you talking about? HE400i's are not bright at all.

It's an overall warm sound signature with a touch of lushness and treble zing.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,625 of 14,386
Maybe it is simply the scale that they used for their graphing... definitely not as long as innerfidelity or headroom. Also, I was speaking in relative terms... I know these aren't Grado's. 
wink.gif

Regardless, they appear to be undeniably hotter in the treble than the LCD-X. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,626 of 14,386
  Maybe it is simply the scale that they used for their graphing... definitely not as long as innerfidelity or headroom. Also, I was speaking in relative terms... I know these aren't Grado's. 
wink.gif

Regardless, they appear to be undeniably hotter in the treble than the LCD-X. 

About.com's measurements are by far the least readable out of the major headphone measurement sources on the Internet.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,627 of 14,386

I never ever recommend making purchasing decisions based on "some guys measurement" you find on the internet. They are often inaccurate and contraindicative of the sound actually being reproduced by the hp. 

What are you talking about? HE400i's are not bright at all.

It's an overall warm sound signature with a touch of lushness and treble zing.

This is about right. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,628 of 14,386
  I never ever recommend making purchasing decisions based on "some guys measurement" you find on the internet. They are often inaccurate and contraindicative of the sound actually be reproduced by the hp. 

it is always better to make purchasing decisions based on "some guys impressions" you find on these threads. :wink: heh

=D

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,629 of 14,386
  it is always better to make purchasing decisions based on "some guys impressions" you find on these threads. :wink: heh

=D

There's always gonna be a power struggle between objectivism and subjectivism in this hobby, personally I find somewhere in-between to be the best spot to sit.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,631 of 14,386
I think the problem with that graph is the microphone they used, or the method they used is far less reliable. Those measurements don't look anything like a planar magnetic headphone, lots of bass rolloff and very elevated upper midrange and I definitely don't think that's how the 400i will even come close to sounding. Some graphs are worse than no graphs, impressions aren't super reliable but at least people can identify relative levels of sound at different frequencies.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #1,632 of 14,386
The impressions I have read indicate that the bass is in fact *slightly* rolled off (again comparatively...) and they are a bit bright.  Tyll Hertsens described the HE560's as "Maybe my favorite HiFiMAN headphone yet, but it's a fairly bright headphone overall. I've got to get the new A pad in and have a listen and measure. Just don't know if I'll review it yet, but if you tend to like things a bit fast sounding, you'll probably want to audition these."  If the HE400i's is similar in its voicing than these might be subjectively bright...  Not saying they don't sound great, but perhaps there are some merits to these graphs.

Source:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-update-september-2014

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,633 of 14,386
HiFiMAN greatly respects Tyll Hertsens but we respectfully disagree that the HE-560 is a bright headphone. Based on the feedback we have had from other reviewers as well customers on Head-Fi and elsewhere it has not been described to us as bright. 

Peter

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,634 of 14,386
  HiFiMAN greatly respects Tyll Hertsens but we respectfully disagree that the HE-560 is a bright headphone. Based on the feedback we have had from other reviewers as well customers on Head-Fi and elsewhere it has not been described to us as bright. 

Peter

Not trying to cause conflict here...  From my reading of Mr. Hertsens reviews he has a listening taste that is self-described as towards the dark side of things.  When I hear his words I think treble along the lines of the HD800 or something similar.  He is always fair, and I would add quite generous as he has stated that these might be the best headphones that Hifiman has ever produced.  My taste is also towards a darkish sound, but there are MANY who have other preferences. 

What I am really interested is having a clear enough understanding of how a headphone sounds, that I can make a purchasing decision.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,635 of 14,386

Not trying to cause conflict here...  From my reading of Mr. Hertsens reviews he has a listening taste that is self-described as towards the dark side of things.  When I hear his words I think treble along the lines of the HD800 or something similar.  He is always fair, and I would add quite generous as he has stated that these might be the best headphones that Hifiman has ever produced.  My taste is also towards a darkish sound, but there are MANY who have other preferences. 

What I am really interested is having a clear enough understanding of how a headphone sounds, that I can make a purchasing decision.  
biggrin.gif

If HE-400i is similar in FR to HE-500 it's certainly not bright, and if anything the HE-560 is very neutral. It might have a slightly elevated midrange in a small spot depending on pads, (might) but certainly not bright by any standard. I don't think there's been any impression so far that's indicated that, although there was one user, Cute I think(?) who thought the midrange was a bit too pronounced for him, but other than that not much dispute that I'm aware of. *edit* I know these threads are quite long, but often times it seems like people who come in late haven't read most of them and jump to conclusions.. I could be wrong, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back