Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #977 of 3,091
The M-Stage did a good job at driving the HE-4 for me. It is nowhere near the level of control the SA-31 provides - which produce a much bigger and well defined sound overall - but its warm signature kinda hide its inability to provide enough power and avoid going into the harsh and glary territory.

I could immediately tell the HE-4 is a much better headphone than the K-701 I used to own before, on the very same setup (NFB-3.1 -> M-Stage).

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #978 of 3,091
  The M-Stage did a good job at driving the HE-4 for me. It is nowhere near the level of control the SA-31 provides - which produce a much bigger and well defined sound overall - but its warm signature kinda hide its inability to provide enough power and avoid going into the harsh and glary territory.

I could immediately tell the HE-4 is a much better headphone than the K-701 I used to own before, on the very same setup (NFB-3.1 -> M-Stage).

Here is to M-Stage being able to drive the HE-400i/560 nicely 
beerchug.gif

It's my only amp, but that toroidial transformer boasts some confidence 
cool.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #979 of 3,091

I won't complain about the pricing of the HD800, as it is pretty unique product with a ton of R&D behind. Nevertheless, I think Sennheiser is sometimes really aggressive in their pricing. What the heck were they thinking pricing the HD700 at $1000? But even the HD600 that I dearly love, certainly has a high profit margin (Sennheiser sells each driver for less than $50). Both HD700 and HD600 are plastic headphones with tiny drivers. 

The HE-500 on the other hand, contains a lot of metal and high quality drivers that does not seem that cheap to manufacture (though I might be blowing smoke...)

This is some most ridiculous speak right here.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #981 of 3,091

I won't complain about the pricing of the HD800, as it is pretty unique product with a ton of R&D behind. Nevertheless, I think Sennheiser is sometimes really aggressive in their pricing. What the heck were they thinking pricing the HD700 at $1000? But even the HD600 that I dearly love, certainly has a high profit margin (Sennheiser sells each driver for less than $50). Both HD700 and HD600 are plastic headphones with tiny drivers. 

The HE-500 on the other hand, contains a lot of metal and high quality drivers that does not seem that cheap to manufacture (though I might be blowing smoke...)

This is some most ridiculous speak right here.

This is the most amusing 
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #983 of 3,091
Jan 23, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #984 of 3,091

The HE-500 on the other hand, contains a lot of metal and high quality drivers that does not seem that cheap to manufacture (though I might be blowing smoke...) I am sure Sennheiser is already working on their orthodynamic headphones. And I am sure they'll sound great. Though I suspect that they'll have to do a lot of magic to keep similar profit margins.

I'm certain sennheiser poured many more times the amount of dough into R&D than Hifiman, Audeze, or any of the other well-received companies did for their phones. This is especially true for the HD800. There are nuances and special design considerations (plastic material, driver design, headband design driver positioning, just to name a few) that no other companies even bothered to attempt.

In the end, there are some qualities of sound from the HD800s that is unmatched, and may never be matched, by any other headphone maker for at least the immediate future. Soundstage is probably the most notable one. If you make measurements on the HD800, you'll be very surprised at how they compare to even many of the orthos that the Head-fi community worship.

Some of this research was definitely passed onto the HD700 which, I'll be honest, doesn't do justice for what was capable of the technology that Senn is capable of. I definitely agree with you there. In my opinion, it's like paying for the same sort of stuff that the HD800 is made of, but literally only 2/3 as good.

If profit margin is concerned, however, of anyone in the business, Hifiman's the one to blame with their identical chassis and unrefined headbands (at least with the previous generation), and overall outsourced production. I don't dare to say that Hifiman doesn't make quality products, but I don't think Sennheiser is crossing the line, relative to what other headphone manufacturers are doing. Hifiman is a small-time company in comparison and their products reflect that, and we're buying into (with good chunks of $) what Hifiman does well: something that is different from what the big names are doing, that is removed from technicalities and measurements, and that sounds absolutely spectacular to our ears.

If Senn is in fact building an ortho, though, then we've really got something to look forwards to.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #985 of 3,091
Sennheiser building a planar would be cool, but I'd be very afraid of a 6khz peak of death.  HD800 sounds subpar in its stock-configuation or unEQ'd, despite its technica merits.  HD700 just sounds horrible.  HD650 and HD600 are awesome.  Amazing how a company just makes crappier products with every successive release.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #986 of 3,091

I'm certain sennheiser poured many more times the amount of dough into R&D than Hifiman, Audeze, or any of the other well-received companies did for their phones. This is especially true for the HD800. There are nuances and special design considerations (plastic material, driver design, headband design driver positioning, just to name a few) that no other companies even bothered to attempt.

In the end, there are some qualities of sound from the HD800s that is unmatched, and may never be matched, by any other headphone maker for at least the immediate future. Soundstage is probably the most notable one. If you make measurements on the HD800, you'll be very surprised at how they compare to even many of the orthos that the Head-fi community worship.

In my opinion that amount of effort is well worth the $1500 price tag on the HD800s. If you want to criticize profit margin, Hifiman's the one to blame with their identical chassis and unrefined headbands (at least with the previous generation), and overall outsourced production. I don't dare to say that Hifiman doesn't make quality products, but I don't think Sennheiser is crossing the line, relative to what other headphone manufacturers are doing.

If Senn is in fact building an ortho, then we've really got something to look forwards to.

No, I think he was mainly criticizing the HD700 as being overpriced.
The HD800 is an amazing headphone, no question.

Obviously driver tuning is the most important. Even if the HD700 uses great acoustic materials, then the driver is to blame.

Still, Sennheiser has been in the business for a lot longer than HiFiMAN has and it is a German company, like Beyer or AKG, so it has lots of pedigree to build on.

What HiFiMAN managed sonically in what is essentially its first product line is nothing short of amazing.
Now they can focus on the other aspects, like build quality and just tune up the sound a bit, being the easier part I'd say :]

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #988 of 3,091
Yea, but the anaxilus mod really brings out the hd800 though. Seem that Senn stops a little too early on the R&D. The hd650 remains my favorite, though it would be nice to see another player in the planar market with deep pockets like Senn. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #989 of 3,091
Sennheiser building a planar would be cool, but I'd be very afraid of a 6khz peak of death.  HD800 sounds subpar in its stock-configuation or unEQ'd, despite its technica merits.  HD700 just sounds horrible.  HD650 and HD600 are awesome.  Amazing how a company just makes crappier products with every successive release.

What?? Be sensible now.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back