Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #211 of 3,091
Denon d2000 pads fit onto the hf pad rings. They would give you something similar to the angled audeze pads without being too expensive. They go for $40 shipped
I'll be interested to see how expensive these pads are when released. Hopefully they don't jack up the prices to Audeze's level...

Also any word on a velour/felt pad update?

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #213 of 3,091

Yes, sensitivity. Take the HE-4: it is less sensitive than the 5LE, which is the dual magnet version.

It seems they found a solution for that anyway (stronger magnets?) since the sensitivity is pretty high (for a planar).

Hmm, these look like planarmagnetics I'd be all for... light and not outrageously priced.

Waiting on graphs for the 400i. If they manage to make it sound like the HE400 without the super spike in treble, and upper mid recession.... hmm indeed.

I'm so happy to see the single sided planars making a return. The HE-4 is one of my absolute fave headphones, one quickly overlooked due to it coming out around the same time as the HE-500. It was a mistake by Hifiman to not push it a bit more.

How they're able to achieve efficiency with a single-side magnet design makes me curious. The HE-4 is a person to drive.

The connectors stay on and screw on just fine. It's the fact that they can twist up the cable as you're connecting that makes them problematic. And yes, I know how to connect them properly. Doesn't make them any more logical.

Denon d2000 pads fit onto the hf pad rings. They would give you something similar to the angled audeze pads without being too expensive. They go for $40 shipped

I'd really like to hear the HE 4 q.q

Also, yes the lack of upper mids is a big reason  sold me HE 400 :/ 

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #214 of 3,091

I've already got the Vegans on my HE-500 so the only other pads I'm really interested are these new HiFiMan ones and eventually when I stop being so lazy, I'll make up a pair of Jerg pads.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #215 of 3,091

I've already got the Vegans on my HE-500 so the only other pads I'm really interested are these new HiFiMan ones and eventually when I stop being so lazy, I'll make up a pair of Jerg pads.

Pics plz

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #221 of 3,091
Question: are the connectors straight down or angled? Sorry if this is covers already.

I'll be honest here, I don't see myself not buying this right out of the gate. It incorporates so many of the things that I'd been hoping for. I am a moth drawn to the hifiman flame. 
blink.gif

Please let these have some decent mids and they will hit all my checkboxes. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #223 of 3,091
I guess it wouldn't hurt to have begun with mini-xlr connectors, but since they have made many models with the smc ones, I think they just want to keep their headphones universal between each other in terms of cabling.

It's one of those things. You change it, people hate you for making their past Hifiman cables non-standard; you don't, other people hate you for the connectors.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #224 of 3,091
Since people are talking pads, I have to mention sticking (literally; carpet tape rules) Q701 pads on some spare HE-500 mounting rings.  They may be a bit stiff for some, but they're angled and relatively inexpensive (in the US, direct from AKG/Harman; can't speak to availability elsewhere).  They keep the driver further from ones ears, at least compared to my decently made JergulorX pads (props to modulor for his guide; can't say that enough; and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention jerg! where are my manners! his methodical experimentation and persistence is par excellence).  I assume that distance, plus angle, plus materials, changes the sound and stage somewhat.  I'd assume a little less bass impact (no lack of bass for me) and bigger soundstage, with the angle maybe helping imaging... a lot of assumptions there, I know; never compared them properly.  One can do jerg's back vent mod, or not, or tape it up if you do it and want to mess around.  Also, in some high-end cans review thread (flagships, maybe), the AKG pads passed the test (lack of resonances, IIRC).

As for the new cans and their connectors, someone mentioned consistency, and that seems a reasonable assumption.  They already know how to implement them and make it work.  Are they a bit more of a PITA than just about every other connector?  Well, duh, but as others just pointed out, once you have the method down, it's not that hard.  And for people with aftermarket and DIY cables, that consistency is a big plus.  As for the cables they'll provide with the new cans... so much room for improvement that I'd be seriously disappointed if that's not addressed (thinking HE-500 cable here). I suppose it's all down to the insulation around the wiring, and lack of sleeving.  My plusSounds cable is wonderfully light and supple, with excellent sleeving, and dead quiet.  Can't cost that much for decent sleeving.  Last thought: if they angled the connectors even a little, as the photos suggest, that's a big plus.

But hey -- enough of my yakkin'.  Whaddaya say, let's boogie!  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back