Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #181 of 3,091
  Forgive me to ask this here but is the HE-400 design single ended too? Are there any theoretical drawbacks in SQ from using single ended magnets?

Yes, sensitivity. Take the HE-4: it is less sensitive than the 5LE, which is the dual magnet version.

It seems they found a solution for that anyway (stronger magnets?) since the sensitivity is pretty high (for a planar).

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #182 of 3,091
Wow, look better than I thought when worn, then again most girls looks good with headphones.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #184 of 3,091
The HE-400 has magnets on both sides.  It employs weight (and cost) saving means by only having the 'voice coil' and magnetic structure covering abound 2/3s of the diaphragm.  Essentially the diaphragm encompasses all of the circular cup area, while the magnetic structure and tracings the rectangular grill you see when you peer through the earpads of the HE-400.

In theory, single-ended planars offer more airy sound as a result of less resonance issues by only having the magnets on one side of the diaphragm, but the tradeoff is less driver control and potentially higher distortion.  

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #185 of 3,091

Yes, sensitivity. Take the HE-4: it is less sensitive than the 5LE, which is the dual magnet version.

It seems they found a solution for that anyway (stronger magnets?) since the sensitivity is pretty high (for a planar).

I think it was the HE-4 that was single ended. The Abyss is also pretty much single ended as well.

The HE-400 has magnets on both sides.  It employs weight (and cost) saving means by only having the 'voice coil' and magnetic structure covering abound 2/3s of the diaphragm.  Essentially the diaphragm encompasses all of the circular cup area, while the magnetic structure and tracings the rectangular grill you see when you peer through the earpads of the HE-400.

In theory, single-ended planars offer more airy sound as a result of less resonance issues by only having the magnets on one side of the diaphragm, but the tradeoff is less driver control and potentially higher distortion.  

Thank you very much for your informative posts. It really is a good feeling learning these kind of things.
smily_headphones1.gif

I, just like almost everyone here on this thread, am very excited to hear if these new models will perform better technically to their predecessors.
popcorn.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #187 of 3,091
  subbed...

I'd imagine this is great news for you, as you always despised the weight of orthos (right?). I remember you said you could only handle the HE-4's weight, and the others were too heavy. Well now you have more options from HiFiMaN to choose from :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #188 of 3,091

so then,how does the conductive element,and therefore diaphragm,stay controlled if there isn't a very well controlled field for the diaphragm to get sandwiched between? I see what you mean by "potentially higher distortion".

is the diaphragm really stiff on the single ended comparatively?,..or is the conductive element or magnet used/works differently?

the why of "less resonance" and "more airy" (and difference in sound stage),was instantly clear to me once I read the reviews(HE-4) and then studied the design but I still want to know how the diaphragm is properly controlled. i really haven't read any reports of distortion,...has anybody?

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #190 of 3,091
Jan 9, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #191 of 3,091
Love the strap.  Would love them even more if they retrofit to the older HEs...

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #192 of 3,091
Jan 9, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #193 of 3,091
Jan 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #194 of 3,091

Hmmm.... looks like angled pads?

Hard to tell, these are definitely the new pads Fang promised they'd be showing at CES though. The only thing for certain is these are jumbo-sized, which is welcoming in terms of ergonomics.

I guess that was not really a useful impression at all, it just went over things we already know, and pretty much no sonic impressions. The photos are useful at least.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #195 of 3,091
  Hard to tell, these are definitely the new pads Fang promised they'd be showing at CES though. The only thing for certain is these are jumbo-sized, which is welcoming in terms of ergonomics.

They mention you on the other article, do you know if the design on the pads have anything to do with the jergpads? No back vents but maybe inside the leather is vented under the pads?

Could be the shadows on this one but they do long angled:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back