Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,396 of 3,091
  Is Oppo single sided as well? Any sound impressions for those? They sure look beautiful.

lol that's funny. i personally think they look extremely silly like the nad hp50. i think round earcups are more classic & stylish than boxy rectangles on your ears. luckily for us, it's sound quality over looks & looks are very subjective.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,397 of 3,091
if the Oppo's planar maggies are released at the rumored estimated $1000-$1200 price as the video suggests (and it almost sounds like Oppo is planning on releasing an amp for em from the video comments), it would be competing with the HE-6 and Audeze headphones.

Not really competition for the sub-$1000 planar magnetic playing field as Hifiman really has that niche cornered.

Its been confirmed a while ago about other oppo amp. Worth looking at the oppo thread for it.

The only lower competition now is hifiman vs Mr speakers. Will be interesting when the new fostex open back planar is released , as well as where it sits price wise.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #1,398 of 3,091
Its been confirmed a while ago about other oppo amp. Worth looking at the oppo thread for it.

the oppo planars will be able to work with other amps ya? have there been any rumors on the power requirements of the oppo planars? if they are too power-hungry, then the low efficiency & easy amping aspect of the new Hifiman releases would make me lean more towards those.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,399 of 3,091
They will work with other amps of course, that'd be very foolish business wise if they couldn't.

Not sure about the efficiency, I have not seen anything about that yet. Hopefully it isn't he6 like in that regard.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #1,400 of 3,091
got to audition some great phones today.  wasn't till i was about to leave i found out they had hifimans.  going to have to go back and audition them.
but omy the abyss and lcd-3 are great headphones.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,401 of 3,091
  got to audition some great phones today.  wasn't till i was about to leave i found out they had hifimans.  going to have to go back and audition them.
but omy the abyss and lcd-3 are great headphones.

Please do... we need some more impressions.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #1,402 of 3,091
i liked my $300 modded he-400's more than the lcd-xc lol the lcd-xc had the same problem i had with the 400's before modding.  it was shouty
but that lcd-3 had such a smooth all around sound it was great but the imaging wasn't that good
i heard ringing during a couple vocals
There was something about the presentation that threw me off guard.  i can't put my finger on it but the best way i can think about it is that the abyss did sound life like and less like a headphone while the lcd-3 was less life-like.  transparency maybe?

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,403 of 3,091
They will work with other amps of course, that'd be very foolish business wise if they couldn't.

Not sure about the efficiency, I have not seen anything about that yet. Hopefully it isn't he6 like in that regard.

hahaha... I meant more like would they require specific amp power requirements like Hifiman's HE-4 and HE-6. If so, it adds additional costs to budget-minded people trying to upgrade who don't have the right equipment... which would really suck IMO :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #1,404 of 3,091
  i liked my $300 modded he-400's more than the lcd-xc lol the lcd-xc had the same problem i had with the 400's before modding.  it was shouty
but that lcd-3 had such a smooth all around sound it was great but the imaging wasn't that good
i heard ringing during a couple vocals
There was something about the presentation that threw me off guard.  i can't put my finger on it but the best way i can think about it is that the abyss did sound life like and less like a headphone while the lcd-3 was less life-like.  transparency maybe?

If you are hearing ringing or other audio distortions with $1,700 headphones (like the lcd-xc) that you also hear on the $300 HE-400... I would imagine that the problem is with your source rather than the headphones. ROTFL!!!

Sometimes the track just actually sounds shouty because that's the way it was mastered. lol!

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,405 of 3,091
  If you are hearing ringing or other audio distortions with $1,700 headphones (like the lcd-xc) that you also hear on the $300 HE-400... I would imagine that the problem is with your source rather than the headphones. ROTFL!!!

Sometimes the track just actually sounds shouty because that's the way it was mastered. lol!

That's a naive state of mind, costlier cans can and often do exhibit issues that certain cheaper cans don't have. Especially things like ringing or tonal annoyances, plenty of >$1000 headphones have them to various degrees at certain frequencies.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #1,406 of 3,091

he never said he heard the ringing on the he-400 though. jerg said enough though about differences that can occur so ya +1 to jergs comments

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,407 of 3,091
Common sense dictates that a $1K+ headphone would be close to perfect in all regards. Can't be further away from the truth. It is pretty common that one would prefer a headphone to others at half the cost.

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #1,408 of 3,091
  That's a naive state of mind, costlier cans can and often do exhibit issues that certain cheaper cans don't have. Especially things like ringing or tonal annoyances, plenty of >$1000 headphones have them to various degrees at certain frequencies.

Shouty... as in how? Although what do I care I liked the un modded HE 400, and I like my W1000x with the pb1 which was a upper mid boosting amp. I think I enjoy to an extent "shouty" but to much attack and NO decay I do not enjoy 

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #1,409 of 3,091
The xc was faster than the 3 and a bit drier, more reference like. It did not seem to be fatiguing except vocals would sometimes have distance from your ears and then as the singers voice elevated the dynamics would suddenly hit your ear drums. I tried different volumes and it was not simply because I had the volume to high. They were not a bad headphone and I appreciated what they did but they are not for me. The 3s ringing I really only heard twice so take that with a grain of salt. It didn't distract me from enjoying the sound. I'm very curious about how the he-500compares and the first day my wife has off after we get our taxes I am going to go do full on review with pictures and definitely spend more time with them
The abyss was phenomenal and actually the realism reminded me of my 400s but on a totally different level with a flatter frequency response and great treble extension. The 3 also demonstrated pretty good treble extension that I most definitely welcomed and to be honest never understood it till I heard these cans

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,410 of 3,091
The xc was faster than the 3 and a bit drier, more reference like. It did not seem to be fatiguing except vocals would sometimes have distance from your ears and then as the singers voice elevated the dynamics would suddenly hit your ear drums. I tried different volumes and it was not simply because I had the volume to high. They were not a bad headphone and I appreciated what they did but they are not for me. The 3s ringing I really only heard twice so take that with a grain of salt. It didn't distract me from enjoying the sound. I'm very curious about how the he-500compares and the first day my wife has off after we get our taxes I am going to go do full on review with pictures and definitely spend more time with them
The abyss was phenomenal and actually the realism reminded me of my 400s but on a totally different level with a flatter frequency response and great treble extension. The 3 also demonstrated pretty good treble extension that I most definitely welcomed and to be honest never understood it till I heard these cans

Good attitude, I'd love to hear the XC and compare it to my modded W1000x, the XC should blow it out of the water 

I may wind up with a W5000 before I get the XC though 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back