Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,279 of 3,091
  If you're referring to the innerfidelity measurements, basically all headphones within normalcy take a little dive after 1khz, it's part of the compensation being used.

HE500 does gently dip past 1kHz though, it has a "fat / bloomed" <1000Hz bottom end that is very apparent with frequency sweeps by ear, that is hard to change without resorting to completely different earpads, or to EQing. On the other hand the treble region behaviour is quite sensitive to a lot of different mods.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,280 of 3,091
  If you're referring to the innerfidelity measurements, basically all headphones within normalcy take a little dive after 1khz, it's part of the compensation being used.

I am referring to the difference between 1-6Khz in the figure below. Slight lack of upper mids is very noticeable, and the only thing that keeps HE-500 away from being the ultimate headphone IMHO. I realize this is very difficult to address with orthodynamic headphones. Jerg's work appears to help a lot further towards the treble range. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #1,281 of 3,091

Not sure what you meant by mass produced. No, we don't have a partner like FoxCon which makes products for Apple in thousands everyday. :)

We also don't have Dr. Fang locked in a small dark room and putting together headphones for everyone. :wink:

Our factory (owned and operated by Hifiman) has about 20 workers who assemble our headphones and IEMs by hand. Obviously headphone like HE-6 requires more man hours than HE-400, but the overall process is very similar. 

Sorry, maybe the term "mass produced" is wrong. I was referencing the offical letter sent out by HifiMan to its dealers when you guys changed the price of the HE-500 and HE-6. In it, didn't you guys say something about the HE-400 being cheaper to produce because it's assembled at a factory and not by hand? Sorry if I'm wrong about this. So the HE-400i is assembled by the hands of about 20 people?

We don't require you to lock Dr. Fang in a dark room, the room can have lights!
evil_smiley.gif
 and he may have food twice a day and 2 fifteen minute bathroom breaks every 24 hours until he creates something that destroys the Abyss. Haha.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,283 of 3,091
  I just said the HE-500's upper-mids and highs are more close the the HD650's than the HD600's. 

Sounds about right. The HD650 is "brighter" than most people think. Haha. I thought it was on par with the HE-500 and definitely brighter than the LCD-2 (at the time when I had all three)

If the 560 = Planar HD600, then OMG shut up and take my money!

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,285 of 3,091

I am referring to the difference between 1-6Khz in the figure below. Slight lack of upper mids is very noticeable, and the only thing that keeps HE-500 away from being the ultimate headphone IMHO. I realize this is very difficult to address with orthodynamic headphones. Jerg's work appears to help a lot further towards the treble range. 

That actually reads as an upper-mid accentuation on the HD600's behalf.  And it is true, the HD600 is slightly forward in the upper-midrange compared to neutral.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #1,286 of 3,091

That actually reads as an upper-mid accentuation on the HD600's behalf.  And it is true, the HD600 is slightly forward in the upper-midrange compared to neutral.

Huh. To me, it appears that HE-500 is lacking upper mids. HD600 sounds a lot more enjoyable just because of that, despite its lack of bass, resolution and speed. Though I can't claim any objectivity, if there's such a thing when it comes to sound. I've been using the HD600 for over ten years...

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,287 of 3,091
As I said earlier, it's natural for a headphone to have a slightly tapered sound after 1khz leading towards 3-4khz on the innerfidelity and headroom measurements; it's part of their compensation.  I'm not going to deny that the HE-500 has slightly recessed upper-midrange because I've never heard that headphone, but at the same time I won't deny that the HD600 isn't slightly forward in the upper-midrange as well.  The jerg-pad fixes what is shown to be a problem with both the HD600 and HE-500 in those graphs-- a dip in the lower treble region.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,288 of 3,091
My ultimate dream would be for the 560i to be able to be properly driven by my MAD EAR......plus it would have the same synergy as my RS1i & MAD

I know.....I know......but it is a dream.....

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,289 of 3,091

Huh. To me, it appears that HE-500 is lacking upper mids. HD600 sounds a lot more enjoyable just because of that, despite its lack of bass, resolution and speed. Though I can't claim any objectivity, if there's such a thing when it comes to sound. I've been using the HD600 for over ten years...

Upper midrange translates to the energy and "bite" / "attack" in music, and I too appreciate it (for instance, I really love listening to rock with my modded KSC75s, which have dead-neutral midrange from 500 - 4000 Hz, unlike most other headphones I've owned or heard).

HE500s' upper midrange is recessed by a couple of dBs, which gives it a relaxed, unoffensive sound signature; it isn't however heavily recessed, so no detail is missing per-say, just that the presentation is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back