Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #2,086 of 3,091
Hi everyone,

The pre-order of HE-560 is still being discussed internally and more details will be revealed soon. 

A lot of ppl has asked how we tune the sound of HE-560 and HE-400. The benchmark for HE-560 is our very own HE-6. We wanted HE-560 to provide the same level of sound quality as HE-6 ( (being driven properly) while reducing weight, improving efficiency and a even lower price point. It's quality we really care about, not necessarily signature. Obviously we always prefer a sound that is neutral, transparent, slightly sweet in the mids, airy treble and tighter bass. 

Same goes for HE-400i.  We wanted it to provide the same level of sound quality as HE-500 while reducing weight, greatly improving efficiency and a even lower price point. We have done a lot of tweaks specifically to target the bass response. 

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Feb 27, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,089 of 3,091
I'll let you know about that
wink.gif
 as I'm getting excited about returning to the Hifiman series of planars with your Emotiva.  Whether or not it is the HE-400i or HE-560 I haven't decided. 

Quote:
I just sold my mini x 7 hours Ago!!! I would have shipped it off too. But I believe there is better to be had for he4/500/6.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,090 of 3,091
  Hi everyone,

The pre-order of HE-560 is still being discussed internally and more details will be revealed soon. 

A lot of ppl has asked how we tune the sound of HE-560 and HE-400. The benchmark for HE-560 is our very own HE-6. We wanted HE-560 to provide the same level of sound quality as HE-6 ( (being driven properly) while reducing weight, improving efficiency and a even lower price point. It's quality we really care about, not necessarily signature. Obviously we always prefer a sound that is neutral, transparent, slightly sweet in the mids, airy treble and tighter bass. 

Same goes for HE-400i.  We wanted it to provide the same level of sound quality as HE-500 while reducing weight, greatly improving efficiency and a even lower price point. We have done a lot of tweaks specifically to target the bass response. 

Very interesting.  I will be comparing the two...

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2,091 of 3,091
I'm curious to see how these compare against the new Fostex Planers that are coming out this Summer. Its going to be reading the comparison test between the two. People saying that the HE-560 is a clear upgrade to the HE-500 is already impressive before taking in account the weight. Its going be an exciting year for new releases 
beerchug.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,092 of 3,091
  Hi everyone,

That's fantastic ... We're rooting for you to achieve those goals. Good luck!

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,094 of 3,091
  Hi everyone,

That is just evil. 
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
  I was doing good with self-control till I read that sentence. 
L3000.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,095 of 3,091
That is just evil.  :D :p   I was doing good with self-control till I read that sentence.  :L3000:
Sound quality, not sound as in freq response...which is the thing I care the most about in hi-fi.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2,096 of 3,091
Sound quality, not sound as in freq response...which is the thing I care the most about in hi-fi.

Young man, you can't have decent sound quality if your freq response is all jacked up.  They are directly related.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,097 of 3,091
Young man, you can't have decent sound quality if your freq response is all jacked up.  They are directly related.
Not exactly... You can have great detail extraction (kind of), imaging, and Soundstaging without a linear FR. Especially since only a small change in FR is a big change in our perceived sound.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,098 of 3,091
I would like to see the mids to be more direct and flat. Current iteration seems a little bit recessed. Although the relaxing sound is not bad, I think more authentic and energetic sound would be generally prefered.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #2,099 of 3,091

Not exactly... You can have great detail extraction (kind of), imaging, and Soundstaging without a linear FR. Especially since only a small change in FR is a big change in our perceived sound.

It ain't black and white. FR relates to sound quality to some extend and isn't just coloration like warm, dark, bright. I suppose nobody likes unnatural and jacked mids and highs that sound way 'off'? The FR will on the other hand also affect imaging, perceived detail extraction and soundstage to some degree. Good luck creating a superb soundstage and imaging in a headphone with a 20 dB treble roll off...

Personally, I won't officially be on the market before hifiman has released the 560 and 400i along with their Jade 2 and the new fostex and oppo is out.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2,100 of 3,091
Hi everyone,

In terms of tonality (frequency response), you guys should just go out and buy a HD600 and tune the 400i exactly the way it sounds. And I mean exactly.

For the HE-560, go out and get the Focal Spirit Professional and tune it exactly the way it sounds. Seriously, Dr. Fang if you do this you will destroy Audez'e/Sennheiser and become the #1 headphone company. Haha.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back