Hifiman HE-400 with a PA2v2?
Jun 14, 2014 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tanner116

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there! I'm looking into purchasing a pair of Hifiman HE-400's. I know they are very efficient and can be driven easily, but I'm still wondering. So, will a PA2v2 drive the HE-400's well? If not, would an O2 do any better? Please let me know! Thanks.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hello there! I'm looking into purchasing a pair of Hifiman HE-400's. I know they are very efficient and can be driven easily, but I'm still wondering. So, will a PA2v2 drive the HE-400's well? If not, would an O2 do any better? Please let me know! Thanks.

Certainly the O2 will do better...but you already knew that.
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 4
PA2V2 will give you the truly portable option as well as the wall wart option, it is also a high current amp from what i gather and does well with orthos. I run a bunch of mine on it often. You may have to adjust the two gain screws insidie a bit higher. Just my two cents on that thing.

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 4

Certainly the O2 will do better...but you already knew that.
wink.gif

PA2V2 will give you the truly portable option as well as the wall wart option, it is also a high current amp from what i gather and does well with orthos. I run a bunch of mine on it often. You may have to adjust the two gain screws insidie a bit higher. Just my two cents on that thing.

Recently went on vacation for a few days.  The only amps I brought with me were two O2's.  As we know, they're not playing-card sized,
but to go in and out of the luggage and sit on the nightstand they were perfectly OK.  (I brought 2 in case one went defective for some
reason.)

Headphones were Beyer T51p, and Thinksound on1 with an aftermarket cable.

DAP = DX50, cables are customs.
All FLAC files.

Well, the music sounded terrific.
I really didn't miss my home system very much at all.

One rainy afternoon, I'm going through my stuff with nothing much better to do, and -
Here it is!  My PA2V2 that I bought from Gary about 5 years ago.  

Perfect condition...well of course - it had been inside this suitcase the whole time.
I switched it on - the light went on.
I unscrewed the case > two high quality rechargable batteries.

So, oddly, I had a chance that rainy afternoon to compare the O2 and the PA2V2.

Though I was quite surprised at the bass and dynamics of the smaller amp,
there was really no comparison.  The O2 was clearer, more dynamic, more
detailed > in fact, it was better in every way (except portability, of course).

So, while the EA amp still maintains very good value,
it (IMO & IMO) simply does not compete favorably with the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back