HiFiMAN HE-400 review by an audiophile newbie
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

skinnygamer12

Head-Fier
While I was researching which headphones to purchase I felt that there wasn't as many reviews of the HE-400 as I would like, and now that I have them I thought I'd add my thoughts. First off I'm new to the world of audiophile; I've been interested for quite some time but I never had any really good equipment. Before these cans I had the Sennheiser HD 280 which would be a pointless comparison. So instead I will do my best to describe the sound without comparisons to any other cans. Perhaps this review will be of more use to other newbies like me who gain little or no info from comparisons.

This is my first in depth review...

All listening was done using the ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card and foobar2000 with ASIO output.

Build quality/comfort and packaging
The packaging is simple, no extras or fancy cases, only a small carrying pouch, no extra earpads, just the headphones and the cable. Makes sense seeing as this is HiFiMAN's budget model. I have no need for a carrying case anyway so I'm glad I'm not forced to pay for one... First thing I notice upon taking them out of the box is the weight and feel. Heavy, mostly metal, built like a tank. These are very unlikely to break no matter how rough you treat them (although mine are going to be cared for like a small child). The cable is nothing special, I have no complaints; it is a little stiff, but I appreciate that it does not try to retain the shape it was in within the box. The screw-type connectors feel very sturdy once you get them on, but it is a little difficult to screw the cable on. I have some of the skinniest fingers you'll ever see and it still took me a few minutes to get it right. The earpads are simple enough to replace, but I'm not sure how easily the tabs would break if removed repeatedly, they do seem a little fragile. There is up/down, pivot, swivel adjustments for the headphones, and once you have them properly adjusted I am confident they will stay that way (for those like me who are annoyed by constantly re-adjusting). Overall these cans are fairly comfortable, although a bit heavy (they are significantly heavier than most dynamic 'phones) which could be a problem for some. They have a comfortable amount of clamping force IMO (but then again I feel that the clamp force of the HD 280 is perfectly fine, so I'm not sure my opinion here means much).

Sound
Now on to what really matters... I should note that these are the rev. 2 drivers; also I am reviewing these using the velour earpads, many reviews said they sound better and they're only $10 so I figured its worth the upgrade (more on the sound differences later). I have only been listening for a few hours, so they are not yet burned in much, I will update if there are any major changes.

Overall
When people say planar-magnetic have a sound like no other, I now know what they mean. Its difficult to put into words, its just better in every way. Highly linear with no peaks, the bass midrange and treble just blend together seamlessly. There is a fluid-like smoothness that is just on a whole different level compared to dynamic drivers.

Bass
The bass response on these cans is all I had hoped for and more. The bass is plentiful without being overpowering. I am a bit of a self-proclaimed basshead, and these completely satisfy that craving. They should have enough bass for most people, except maybe the ones who want pulse-pounding skull-shaking quantities of low end. The bass is also of amazing quality. It extends lower than I can hear (maybe <15 Hz) and has zero muddiness or distortion, amazing clarity. I can hear every finger pluck of the strings on a bass guitar. The impact of drums or the punch in the chest bass of dubstep is just awesome. **Note: it takes at least an hour of burn in for the impact to be apparent, I was a little disappointed at first but now its great**

Mids
I used to be a fan of the v-shaped response curve, but these cans may have just converted me... The mids are by far the clearest I have heard and incredibly linear. Vocals sound as though I am on stage or in the recording studio next to the singer. Acoustic guitar is absolutely jaw-dropping. I simply cannot find the proper words to describe the clarity and detail of the midrange.

Treble
The highs are again super detailed, with zero fatigue or harshness even at loud volumes. There is no silibance unless the recording is of low quality, and even then only slight. Extends higher than I can hear with no major peaks, very linear. I can hear the pick hitting against every string in a guitar solo. High female vocals are just awe-inspiring.

Sound stage/
Incredibly wide, the music is all around me. Its as if I am in the studio while they are recording. Live recordings sound as if I am up on stage overlooking the crowd right next to the lead vocals.

Overall
These cans are great for any genre I can imagine. I would recommend them to anyone who has the money. The only con I can think of is that they are so detailed that low quality recordings will be just that: low quality. Every error will become apparent. *More on the earpads: I tried the leather to see the difference for myself. The treble is just not as present or detailed, definitely get the velours, for only $10 its a great improvement.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 24
It's certainly no placebo.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 24
With the HE-400 I wouldn't say the vocals place you right next to the singer, I always feel they're quite far away. If you want the 'singer in the room' effect i'd grab a pair of HD650s 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
With the HE-400 I wouldn't say the vocals place you right next to the singer, I always feel they're quite far away. If you want the 'singer in the room' effect i'd grab a pair of HD650s 
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends on your definition of far away I suppose. Also these are my first cans with any discernible sound stage at all so maybe its just my lack of perspective

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 24
Bleh.  I never experienced the HD650 vocals to be far away more forward than the HE-400.  

Anyways, it is the 'planar-placebo' to some extent.  All of those things aren't really a characteristic of a planar magnetic so to say, but just characteristics of a better headphone.

And honestly, you shouldn't be getting such drastic differences from burn-in, if there even is a burn-in.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Anyways, it is the 'planar-placebo' to some extent.  All of those things aren't really a characteristic of a planar magnetic so to say, but just characteristics of a better headphone.

And honestly, you shouldn't be getting such drastic differences from burn-in, if there even is a burn-in.

Maybe to some extent, but my stepdad has very expensive studio monitor speakers, not sure what brand, and they dont have the same smoothness as these.

I always have very noticeable changes within the first few hours of playtime with any cans/speakers. Of course after they settle in the changes arent so drastic...

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 24
An Update
I tried them with my iPod just to see how they would perform. They certainly can get enough volume out of a portable device, but the quality is just not the same. I have no idea why anyone would want to use these for a portable setup though anyway, there's zero isolation and they're huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back