HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 15, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #331 of 903

Quote:
As long as the sound rox my sox off, I could care less if it came in a brown paper bag sealed with duck tape but that's just me. Never leave my headphones in cases anyway. 

Funny you should mention a paper bag. Back when I got the Audez'e LCD-1 for $400, it basically just came in a big ziplock baggy.

Honestly, a cardboard box is fine. It's mostly just the packaging inside that looks annoying to work with on a regular basis. Looking at the box it seems akin to the way AKG packages their headphones. I'd prefer a simpler cardboard box where the top just lifts up and there's a foam or fabric lined place to put the headphones, similar to the SA5000. Hopefully Head-Direct will include some kind of leather pouch, but I doubt it.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #332 of 903
Seriously its pretty lame to complain about the box. I rather pay less money for the headphones and do you really use the box to store the headphones? I just put mine on the table and no scratches or marks thus far. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #333 of 903

Quote:
Seriously its pretty lame to complain about the box. I rather pay less money for the headphones and do you really use the box to store the headphones? I just put mine on the table and no scratches or marks thus far. 

I hang mine on these stick-on doorknobs. Works great.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #334 of 903

Quote:

I hang mine on these stick-on doorknobs. Works great.

I built myself a ikea headphone stand with a nice block of stained timber, looks the business. Wood and brushed aluminium.... mmmmm.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #335 of 903
It shouldn't cost much to mass produce boxes like the HE-500 in China. Having a nicer package conveys a sense of quality and a valued product inside and also is the image of the company as well. 
IMO it will be a big let down if the HE-400 chooses to use a cheaper box in order to cut costs, even the HE-300 comes in the same style box as of the top tier HifiMan headphones.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #336 of 903

Quote:
It shouldn't cost much to mass produce boxes like the HE-500 in China. Having a nicer package conveys a sense of quality and a valued product inside and also is the image of the company as well. 
IMO it will be a big let down if the HE-400 chooses to use a cheaper box in order to cut costs, even the HE-300 comes in the same style box as of the top tier HifiMan headphones.

Yeah man that's what I'm thinking... even the HE-300 came in a box so i feel like I'm going to be a bit disappointed on the presentation factor.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #337 of 903
Yes, I use the box to store my headphones. When you own 90 some odd pairs you can't exactly keep them all out on your desk or buy headphone stands for every one of them.

Also easier to keep the accessories (multiple earpads, cables, etc.) in a box vs. keeping them strewn about all over the place.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #338 of 903
Shipping should start next week, so it will be nice reading more impressions of these. Storage box or not, it's nice to have new $400 orthos for the first time since the LCD-1. Hearing that they're "fun" sounding too is definitely nice, plus I'm curious to hear the slightly darker presentation. Should make them more versatile than the HE-500 and HE-6.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #339 of 903

Quote:
Those cases HiFiMan supplies cost, what, 20 bucks at most to produce? It wouldn't kill them to include one. I know some audiophiles like to assume an "only the sound matters" approach to the point of near aestheticism, but it's perfectly legitimate to want an easy way to store your headphones. It protects them from dust and scuff marks, helps keep them out of the way, and so on. Having to put them back in a cardboard box every time is really annoying.

Considering the HE-400 is supposedly all about bringing the price down you're being pretty cavalier with your twenties, no?

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #340 of 903

Quote:
Those cases HiFiMan supplies cost, what, 20 bucks at most to produce? It wouldn't kill them to include one. I know some audiophiles like to assume an "only the sound matters" approach to the point of near aestheticism, but it's perfectly legitimate to want an easy way to store your headphones. It protects them from dust and scuff marks, helps keep them out of the way, and so on. Having to put them back in a cardboard box every time is really annoying.

Then again, there is always a way to put your headphones on a stand. I have a feeling my HE-400's will look quite nice on a stand. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #341 of 903

Quote:
Then again, there is always a way to put your headphones on a stand. I have a feeling my HE-400's will look quite nice on a stand. 
biggrin.gif

~90 Stands for her would take tons of space and be quite expensive haha. I have to admit I'm a bit upset that the HE-400 most likely won't be getting a decent box :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #342 of 903
This was gonna be my first planar magnetic headphones and my first pair of headphones that would come with a nice case.  I know it doesn't really matter but would have been kinda nice.  Too bad.  Guess I remain as case virgin as it were.  

Quote:
What the crank ? Looks like the He-400 comes in a cardboard box instead of case ? hmm...

pics courtesy from headfonia...

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #343 of 903
Haha have to agree with you about the case, it would have been nice indeed. And no way it would cost them 20 bucks btw, closer to 2 dollars i'm quite positive. But sure they want to keep the price down and as long as they sound as good as i expect them to I will be very satisfied. Please don't let the sound be a disappointment! =)

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #344 of 903
Agreed about the case. I know the price is cheaper but it still isn't a 'cheap' headphone and I would think that even though they are less expensive than the other Hifimans, I'd imagine they are still considered a headphone they would be proud of enough to include a case for protection's sake. If companies like Ultrasone can provide a nice case I don't see why Hifiman wouldn't also. Just my .02.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #345 of 903
Well, I could see why HiFiMan does not include a box. After all, all other HiFiMan cans were hand built (Not sure about the 300) and now the 400 are mass produced.  Maybe the new HE-400 work flow cannot allow them to include a box. After all, boxes take extra space and add weight. Plus if the 400 takes off, putting thousands of headphones into boxes might be inefficient. But I do wish they included a box for the preorders, kinda like a special bonus since we ordered early. But as long as they sound good, I'm fine with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back