HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 14, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #301 of 903
Fang stated 3:45 into the Head-Fi TV CES 2012 coverage YouTube video: Sennheiser rs 220 & HiFiMAN.   "A Ipod at 80% volume will drive the HE-400's."  
Its going to be interesting to see how it scales.  I really think this is HiFiMANS version of a ath-M50.
One of the first things im going to do when it arrives is see how it is powered from the Ipod vs a cheap HiFiMAN EXPRESS HM-101.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #302 of 903

Quote:

Take it with a grain of salt. And let's not forget he compared the SRH940 to the HD800. 
biggrin.gif

I hear that also. How can you compare a closed headphone to a open back headphone without mentioning that in the review?

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #303 of 903

Quote:
To be honest though, Mike just got this headphone and he tried to do a comparison already, not sure if you guys believe burn-in period ? I heard even with the He-500, it does require a period of burn in.  Maybe this darkness will clear up a bit.. which I hope .

Dont' like dark headphones too...

I noticed no real difference with time on the HE500 . They sounded the same first day and hundreds of hours later. It not a dynamic driver so I notice less or no burn in with any ortho I have owned and this is my third.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #304 of 903
I also didn't notice any burn in with my HE-500's.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #305 of 903

As someone that owns the HD650 and LCD-2 Rev.2 I think Mike is correct. The HD650s are brighter than my Rev.2, althoug the Rev.2 has its moments with certain tracks, on a general basis I would say "darker".

Quote:
Reading the description from Mike on Facebook is a bit confusing. He says it's darker than the HD650, but then says it's not as dark as the LCD-2 rev. 1 but about as dark as the LCD-2 rev. 2, which to my ears isn't really a dark headphone. The treble on the rev. 2 is pretty lively and engaging, actually.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #306 of 903

Strange it took my brain 200 hours to be tricked into believing that the HE-500 treble had tamed and the cans had "opened-up" enough without change. This of course happened in a closet, playing normal music at 50% louder volume than I would listen to. Kind of felt like playing it louder was speeding up the process. And yes, I've had 3 three different brand new HE-500s and I only checked for change using the same reference song every 24 hours or so and did experiments to make sure it wasn't cable/earpad burn-in.

And yes I saw the Innerfidelity article. My brain is very tricky...
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I also didn't notice any burn in with my HE-500's.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #307 of 903
Yes this is my first post but I have lurked for years with no real reason to join.
I bought a pair of Sony MDR V700 a few years ago and though pleased with the sound quality, know I would like better.
The V700 are incredibly uncomfortable prompting me to finally make the plunge and look for a set of full size headphones.

I was just wondering how much more of a benefit I would get from going for the HE-400 over what I have.
I listen to electronica mostly with some Sinatra when I am studying.
Whenever I can I try and obtain high quality sources for what I listen to.
I considered picking up a used pair of HD-650's but didn't really want to invest a whole lot into appropriate amps up front.
That is why I am considering picking up the HE-400 with a cheap portable amp to drive them with the possibility of actually upgrading to a better amp in the future.
Is there anything flawed in this logic?

Thank you.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #308 of 903

Quote:
Yes this is my first post but I have lurked for years with no real reason to join.
I bought a pair of Sony MDR V700 a few years ago and though pleased with the sound quality, know I would like better.
The V700 are incredibly uncomfortable prompting me to finally make the plunge and look for a set of full size headphones.

I was just wondering how much more of a benefit I would get from going for the HE-400 over what I have.
I listen to electronica mostly with some Sinatra when I am studying.
Whenever I can I try and obtain high quality sources for what I listen to.
I considered picking up a used pair of HD-650's but didn't really want to invest a whole lot into appropriate amps up front.
That is why I am considering picking up the HE-400 with a cheap portable amp to drive them with the possibility of actually upgrading to a better amp in the future.
Is there anything flawed in this logic?

Thank you.

I see nothing wrong with your logic. If you find the HE-400 isn't worth it, you can always return it. They're easily enough to drive, so going with an inexpensive amp should be just fine.

I recommend looking into the Objective 2 as a possible amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #309 of 903
Just attempted to preorder a pair but don't think that i was successful cause when i clicked submit got error message that credit card expired with two different cards expiring in 2017 but the system registered order and assigned transaction id but with unpaid status so i called customer service and was told to emal so that webmaster could investigate what happened

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #310 of 903
Hasn't pre-order ended yesterday? Maybe that's what's screwing with your order.

Never mind, on the site it says "Save $50 by ordering by Monday January 13" ... 13th was yesterday which was a Friday so maybe they meant Jan 16.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #311 of 903
That sounds right. When I talked on the phone with customer service they said the deal would be up for a few more days, and that was on Friday. 
As for the incomplete order, try again and make sure all the info is EXACTLY right. My cards billing address had a pound sign instead of saying "box number". And that was enough to get it denied. If the order goes through you will get TWO emails, one like the one you got and another that is similar thanking you for the order. Only one of the pending charges will actually go through, the rest, from your failed attempts, will expire because they apparently dont have any record of them at all

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #312 of 903
thanks for suggestion but error was card expired not denied and don't use # sign anywhere in the address plus i checked the box billing adress is same as shipping but i will try again but will use internet explorer 9 instead firefox 9.01
Update: just tried again with exactly same result. I even contacted my bank and was told they don't have any records of attempts of transaction so looks like it's something wrong with their website so now i don't know if i will have this problem solved and get discounted price and next week shippment

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #313 of 903

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with your logic. If you find the HE-400 isn't worth it, you can always return it. They're easily enough to drive, so going with an inexpensive amp should be just fine.

I recommend looking into the Objective 2 as a possible amp.

Are there any amps we should look at to pair with the HE400? Thinking something along the lines of the Matrix M-Stage or Schiit Asgard.... in that sort of ~$200-300USD price range... any others I should look at? I'm kind of leaning towards the Matrix, but the Asgard looks better :p

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #315 of 903

Quote:

Mike say that the O2 is better than the M-Stage. So there is no need to buy the Matrix as you can order a full finished O2 but blame Mike if its not true :D

Meh, I just ordered an M-Stage from Tam so we'll see how it goes. *shrugs*

Could always get an O2 or Asgard or whatever after the fact if the HE400s don't like the M-Stage :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back