HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #286 of 903
I thought of returning them, but the thing is, buying them would nearly bankrupt me of my spending money, and I didn't want to end up liking them because then I'd be out the $350. I'll wait...
Plus, they might only cost some $300 on the used market after a bit.

Quote:
Sneaky? You make it sound like Head-Direct is somehow trying to deceive you. Besides, if you don't like how they sound then you can get your money back.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #288 of 903
Jan 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #289 of 903
To be honest though, Mike just got this headphone and he tried to do a comparison already, not sure if you guys believe burn-in period ? I heard even with the He-500, it does require a period of burn in.  Maybe this darkness will clear up a bit.. which I hope .

Dont' like dark headphones too...

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #290 of 903
If you haven't done so, read Tyll's recent article on burn-in: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Some interesting stuff in there.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #291 of 903
Mike's review actually confirmed my expectations. I wanted a headphone that was a but more bassy to compliment my HD600, so this review is good news to my ears.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #292 of 903
Just preordered a pair. Was tossing up between the HE400s or the K701/702/Q701s.... but went with the HE400s just for something different (upgrading from AD700s)

What amp should I get to pair with it? Thinking Matrix M-stage? Will that provide enough voltage? Any others I should look at? Source is my PC with a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, out via optical or RCA?

Keen to get them :D

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #293 of 903
Mike said that he was able to drive it off an iPod adquately but he belives that a filio e17 can drive it preatty well. I'm not sure about how it scales with better amps...

Quote:
Just preordered a pair. Was tossing up between the HE400s or the K701/702/Q701s.... but went with the HE400s just for something different (upgrading from AD700s)

What amp should I get to pair with it? Thinking Matrix M-stage? Will that provide enough voltage? Any others I should look at? Source is my PC with a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, out via optical or RCA?

Keen to get them :D

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #294 of 903

Quote:
Mike said that he was able to drive it off an iPod adquately but he belives that a filio e17 can drive it preatty well. I'm not sure about how it scales with better amps...

Yea but I probably wouldn't want to power it off an iPod :p

I mean the TiHD has a discrete amp circuit that can take up to 300ohms..... but whether or not it can provide the voltage (since it's only powered by the PCIE bus).... Hence why I want to get an amp, and everyone i've talked to seems to rave about the Matrix M-Stage... and I can get it locally for pretty cheap ($289).... so yea.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #295 of 903

Quote:

I'm hoping it sounds good on my Burson. But, if it's darker than the HD650, paso for me.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #297 of 903

Quote:
Any word on if these come with velour pads?

Doesn't seem like it, at least not with the early impressions box that Mike from Headfonia got from Fang.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #298 of 903
Reading the description from Mike on Facebook is a bit confusing. He says it's darker than the HD650, but then says it's not as dark as the LCD-2 rev. 1 but about as dark as the LCD-2 rev. 2, which to my ears isn't really a dark headphone. The treble on the rev. 2 is pretty lively and engaging, actually.

I'm actually quite intrigued to hear a "dark but forward and engaging" headphone.

Edit: But then I read in the comments section where Mike says "bottom line I think ALL full sized headphones NEED to be driven with an amplifier" and I kind of lose a bit of faith in the accuracy of what he's saying.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #299 of 903

Quote:
Reading the description from Mike on Facebook is a bit confusing. He says it's darker than the HD650, but then says it's not as dark as the LCD-2 rev. 1 but about as dark as the LCD-2 rev. 2, which to my ears isn't really a dark headphone. The treble on the rev. 2 is pretty lively and engaging, actually.

I'm actually quite intrigued to hear a "dark but forward and engaging" headphone.

Edit: But then I read in the comments section where Mike says "bottom line I think ALL full sized headphones NEED to be driven with an amplifier" and I kind of lose a bit of faith in the accuracy of what he's saying.

Take it with a grain of salt. And let's not forget he compared the SRH940 to the HD800. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back