Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Feb 18, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #467 of 510
If by EDM you mean electronic dance music then based on their profile I'd say the 400.  If you only intend to listen to that then imo it's not worth paying extra for the 500.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #468 of 510
  If by EDM you mean electronic dance music then based on their profile I'd say the 400.  If you only intend to listen to that then imo it's not worth paying extra for the 500.

Yes...I almost listen to EDM music...I think that the price difference (300$) between between a new HE-400 and a used HE-500 is too much high for what I need.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #469 of 510
Yes...I almost listen to EDM music...I think that the price difference (300$) between between a new HE-400 and a used HE-500 is too much high for what I need.
New he-400 and used he-500 is like $250 apart. Not mentioning that the he-400 new is on sale rather than full price.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #471 of 510
  The new HE-400 that I intended was the first version and not the version He-400i. I'm going to grab this at 290,00 eur

Oh, that's unfortunate :/

Honestly, I will say that if you think your music preferences will change at all or if you even listen to a decent amount of other genres, the HE-500 might be worth the price difference to you. From what I've read people that even enjoy the HE-400 eventually look toward upgrading to the HE-500 regardless. HE-500 would compete VERY well in EDM, and even if it is sub-par compared to the HE-400, it will dominate in every other genre IMO. Definitely spend time considering both options as both will soon be discontinued, and you will also likely build your rig around either one, making it difficult to reverse your decision. I chose the HE-500 with the help of everyone in this thread and could not be happier with my purchase. I do listen to a VERY WIDE variety of genres, however.

Again, be very careful with your decision, and make sure it is the right one. If you have to, find someone near you that has one of these headphones to see if it is what you want.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #472 of 510

Oh, that's unfortunate :/

Honestly, I will say that if you think your music preferences will change at all or if you even listen to a decent amount of other genres, the HE-500 might be worth the price difference to you. From what I've read people that even enjoy the HE-400 eventually look toward upgrading to the HE-500 regardless. HE-500 would compete VERY well in EDM, and even if it is sub-par compared to the HE-400, it will dominate in every other genre IMO. Definitely spend time considering both options as both will soon be discontinued, and you will also likely build your rig around either one, making it difficult to reverse your decision. I chose the HE-500 with the help of everyone in this thread and could not be happier with my purchase. I do listen to a VERY WIDE variety of genres, however.

Again, be very careful with your decision, and make sure it is the right one. If you have to, find someone near you that has one of these headphones to see if it is what you want.

I sometimes listen to Afro and Pop music but certainly not jazz,classical,punk,rock. (I listen to EDM 90%)
My limitation is the budget because I've just purchased the Dunu Dn-1000 and Xiaomi Pistons for 200 $ total and I think it's very difficult for my wallet put on the table another 500$.
I spent all my today morning to understand what is the best for me, I've read many reviews and this thread and I've understood that HE-500 is a way better of HE-400 except for bass but I think that I have to be content for HE-400.
Meantime I go searching someone to ask these headphone near me.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #473 of 510
I posted in this thread a while ago wondering which of these two cans I should go for myself. Just wanted to post back and add that I actually ended up buying both and after spending a good amount of time with each, I found that to me the HE-400's were harsh in the highs recessed in the mids and very fatiguing to listen to for any length of time. The HE-500's seemed to fix all the issues of the HE-400's suffered from and I found this to be true for all kinds of music as I listen to a very wide variety. I will also add that for each the velour pads helped tame the highs but for the HE-400's it just still wasnt enough.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #474 of 510
It seems like for many but not all, like above, the 500s are better. However the 400s fall strongly into the category of more than good enough especially when you consider the price. One of the other factors I hear is that the 400s are easier to drive. Anyone have experience with both and like to comment?

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #475 of 510
I have the 500 and the 6 (different beast, the last one).

Haven't heard the 400 but based on sensitivity figures: the 400 is 92.5, the 500 is 89.  It looks like a small difference but it's larger than  you might think in terms of impact and the 400 are easier to drive for sure if you want to achieve the same listening levels.  I don't own them so can't say for sure HOW easy but I can guarantee you that you'll need a reasonable amp to drive the 500 well, an ipod or the likes definitely won't fly.

Tonality wise and if one listens exclusively to electronic then I think the 500 might be considered a bit on the warm side.  I know all about up-gradeitis so bottom line:

- If you want to save cash and it's exclusively electronic music:  get the 400 or wait for the  new model
- If upgrades look even remotely possible and if you also listen to slower and/or more vocal music then it might make sense to wait, save up for some decent amplification and get the 500.

...or save big time and build your system around the 6, that one does everything and it's worth building a system around it.  At the end some of us end up there anyway :)  but it's a costly journey, sorry about your bank account :)

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #476 of 510
Feb 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #477 of 510
I've been on the fence between the 500 and the 6 for a long time, having them both in my stable so to speak.  For my music the midrange is extremely important and sound signature wise I like a touch of warmth, which is why the 500 are just my ticket.  The main issue I have with the 6 was the treble which is occasionally a bit harsh.  But the biggest advantage for me in the end were its resolution, clarity and better soundstage, I don't think many people who heard both will disagree there.  

This is while listening to them on my Violectric setup which according to many HE-6 veterans doesn't drive them to their full potential.  I have a high quality speaker amp on the way so that's an issue I'll find out about once it gets here.  When I listen to the 6 on my -heavily modded by a previous owner and seriously more powerful than stock, going to open them up next time I'm in Europe to take a peek at the power supply and capacitors- DV337 tube amp then the tubes bring just a bit of warmth to the 6 without eating away too much in terms of clarity and resolution.  Very nice surprise.  

That being said, the 500 are extremely good and vastly more affordable than the 6 if one considers total system cost, no doubt about that.  With some types of music I still prefer them to the 6 in my present setup.

What's your bone of content with the 6?

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #479 of 510
I agree with Xenophon's comment about the HE500 and HE6 as I currently own the 500 and am auditioning the 6. I dont find the treble to be much trouble though, especially if you have a tube amp to roll with. I use the Project Ember from the guys at Garage1217 and it drives the HE6. With a 12 volt tube, the 12:00 volume position is too loud for me personally. Maybe if the HE6 is on sale used for a good deal I would go for it but personally Im content with the 500. I will miss the improved soundstage though when I have to return the HE6 :frowning2:   not that the HE500 is any slouch. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #480 of 510
I have had my HE-400 for almost a week and I really enjoy them. For me it was that I had some nice IEM's, good closed cans and honestly what I paid for the HE-400's for me it wasn't worth more than 300.00 the difference in sound to buy the HE-500, next wekk that may change
wink_face.gif
. When I tire of these I will sell them or else I will buy something else. Look for a good deal on the HE-400 be happy with them and don't give it a second thought. I am driving them from a FiiO X3 and it has great sound quality. I also have a  FiiO e11, sometimes I use it sometimes I don't. My deal included velour pads that I haven't put on yet. I read the sibilance of the HE-400 and what others said but I don't have that issue. When you find something that sounds good to you ...enjoy it. It just make the sound that much sweeter now that I have more money in my wallet. There will always be better, there will always be newer technology....makes you crazy searching but it is a great hobby and actually cheaper than my golf hobby I had for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back