Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Nov 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #451 of 510

Anytime you're in San Jose I have cables at the ready and Chipotle is on me bud :)

Don't forget me if Matt comes visit.  We will definitely hang out and yes, we have Chipotle every corner we turn now.  Soon, they will be like starbuck here in SJ. 
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #454 of 510
I do agree....I own the he-400 and I think they have plenty of detail, separation, clarity, and I can't see spending 300 more on the he-500....it makes no sense....just saying...

If you are totally happy with HE-400 and have listened to HE500 already then consider yourself lucky cuz you just saved $300.  It's a subjective hobby.  It's important to know the point of content.  You probably found yours.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #455 of 510
I do agree....I own the he-400 and I think they have plenty of detail, separation, clarity, and I can't see spending 300 more on the he-500....it makes no sense....just saying...

I got my HE-500 for $600 like-new (looked literally brand new, still kinda does tbh except for the grill mod). I was always curious and still am curious about the HE-400 (better bass, more "fun" signature, maybe more forgiving and more "spaciousness"). Would really like to try a pair sometime soon.

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #456 of 510

Each his own, to my ears and with the music I listen to the HE-500 and the HE-6 perform better (and I prefer the 500 to the 6) but if the 400's good enough for you, that's ok....just don't make a universally valid stement out of what in the end is a subjective opinion.  Everyone's entitled to determine what they want get/spend.  I'm sture the Stax SR-9 perform even better than the gear I have with classical music but I'm not about to drop 5k on the cans and another 5 on a good amp to drive them.  But more power to those willing and able to get 'm.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #458 of 510
This past weekend I purchased a set of 400s off a neighbor. He had a set of 500s he had recently purchased on a black friday sale. Having lived with both he decided to part with the 400s. When I asked his opinion on the differences between them he said it was subtle but noticable. Not unlike a reviewer whom had said "about 20% better". When I asked him if he were to do it all over again he said he wasnt sure if the investment was worth it, paused, and then said 'yeah, I probably would still get the 500s'.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #459 of 510
Lol, sounds about right :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #461 of 510
  this was an interesting read. i can only afford the he400, but I would love to hear a he500, he6, or the new he400i/he560 in the future :)

I've been vacillating between a preference for the HE-500 and the 6 (own both), until recently I preferred the 500 but over the last couple of days the 6 and me have renewed our relationship and now I'm definitely swinging to that one.  If you have the chance to hear it, coupled to a powerful amp, it's a moral obligation to audition it.  Only trouble is that auditioning will likely mean buying, it really is THAT good, surpasses even the HD-800 in most areas.  If you keep your eyes peeled and take your time it's possible to find a good used one for the price of a new 500.  But you need the amping power.  Never heard the 400 but if you like a slightly warm sound signature and listen to vocal or classical then I can definitely recommend the 500.  The 6 just takes it up a notch, is significantly more transparent and dead neutral.  If you need to save and raise cash I can post a recipe that'll fix you up with dirt cheap and tasty pancakes for a month :)  or sell a kidney, who needs 2?

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #463 of 510
  Can anyone comment on how the HE-500 headphones pair up with a Violectric V200-V800 stack?

I own exactly that combo and they sound just great to me, good synergy imo.  Don't need the pre-gain on the 200 either, plenty of power, the amp holds tight control.  The sound is definitely on the warm side of neutral, partly due to the nature of the 500, partly to the slight colouring imparted by the 200. But then it's generally said that the V800/200 combo presents among the most 'tube warmth' sound of any ss amps.  And indeed, I own a tube amp that's considered -in the tube world- very neutral and while the sound colour isn't the same of course, they're close with the HE-500.

The 500 are very, very nice headphones if you like good but not overpowering bass and a slightly forward middle that goes very well with vocals.  Compared to the HE-6 on the same dac/amp combo the 500 are less transparent/detailed, a lot less neutral and the treble on the 6 is better.  But my god, that midrange is glorious, for that reason alone they're a keeper and a very good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back