Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Aug 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #286 of 510
Quote:
I guess soundcard can sound misleading, but the NFB 11.32 is both an Amp/DAC, and connecting it through the USB allows it to bypass the built-in DAC for the computer (or soundcard if there is one), and my laptop has the option of SPDIF so that is also an option if I wanted to connect the NFB 11.32 through that instead.  

Okay, you were kind of vague as to how you were hooking it up without the SPDIF.  

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #287 of 510
He500 vs alpha dog?

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #288 of 510
Quote:
He500 vs alpha dog?

Not sure about the Alpha Dog (it's not out yet, and very few people have heard the prototype)

HE-500 was considerably better than the Mad Dog 3.1 I had. I would say a different league, not even close. But I did think the Mad Dog was a great proposition for the money all things considered.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #289 of 510
I feel that even if the alpha dog outperformed or was on par with the he500, that the he500 would scale way past them with a decent amp and the jergpad mod. Would you agree?

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #290 of 510
Quote:
He500 vs alpha dog?

These are certainly in the same league. If they were the same money I'd still pick the AD. The he500 has a really lush and sweet mid range but is matched by the AD. With regards to overall bass presence and quality the AD presents an impressive linear response that can go very deep and with tangible weight to match ANY material that I've used with it. The he500 is not quite as linear and it not able to match the natural texture of instruments like the AD. 

The treble extension and accuracy is good on both. The AD will have a hint of darkness where the he500 will retain a hint of brightness. But overall they are very close. The he500 will reign over the AD in overall spaciousness of sound stage but the margin is not as big as you might think. 

Both are excellent. The AD is $100 less and more comfortable by a fair margin IMO. The fact that the AD is closed but sounds open is a huge plus for me...ymmv on this issue. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #291 of 510
These are certainly in the same league. If they were the same money I'd still pick the AD. The he500 has a really lush and sweet mid range but is matched by the AD. With regards to overall bass presence and quality the AD presents an impressive linear response that can go very deep and with tangible weight to match ANY material that I've used with it. The he500 is not quite as linear and it not able to match the natural texture of instruments like the AD. 

The treble extension and accuracy is good on both. The AD will have a hint of darkness where the he500 will retain a hint of brightness. But overall they are very close. The he500 will reign over the AD in overall spaciousness of sound stage but the margin is not as big as you might think. 

Both are excellent. The AD is $100 less and more comfortable by a fair margin IMO. The fact that the AD is closed but sounds open is a huge plus for me...ymmv on this issue. 
I feel as if it is just hyped to be as good as you say...

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #292 of 510
Quote:

Time will tell. I'm certainly waiting on the measurements and accompanied reviews from various obj/subj reviewers (IF, CS, GE, etc).

Even then we'd have to extrapolate, since not many people have modded earpads on their HE500s.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #293 of 510
Time will tell. I'm certainly waiting on the measurements and accompanied reviews from various obj/subj reviewers (IF, CS, GE, etc).

Even then we'd have to extrapolate, since not many people have modded earpads on their HE500s.
Agreed, I think that midrange would most likely be outmatched by using jergpads over velour.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #294 of 510
Main reason I'm asking is I can still return my he500... I don't really want to but if it truly does outperform them then...

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #295 of 510
Quote:

This is not unfounded hype. I spend at least 10 hours with the AD. I've owned the he500 2x. I'll stand by what I hear. 
Quote:

It's true, the jergpads do take the HFM to the next level and I did not have the he500 and jergpad at the same time. I would love to hear them together though. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #296 of 510
Quote:
Agreed, I think that midrange would most likely be outmatched by using jergpads over velour.

HE500 with velour sounded terrible....the meat of the midrange is thin and completely drowned out by upper mids/ treble. I tried it a bit last week to give me some refreshed perspective vs Modulor's jergpads, and my ears couldn't stand the velours on vocal music.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #297 of 510
S
HE500 with velour sounded terrible....the meat of the midrange is thin and completely drowned out by upper mids/ treble. I tried it a bit last week to give me some refreshed perspective vs Modulor's jergpads, and my ears couldn't stand the velours on vocal music.
its the same impression with me. I can't stand the velours anymore. And if Matt has those impressions with the velours only, I'd assume the jergpads would put the he500 at a much higher level. Also, when paired with the emotiva, which I will be getting, I'm sure it will smoke the AD. Although I must say, for a closed HP competing this well, I am impressed.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #298 of 510
There is no question that the he500 is a very fine hp. But to say that it will "smoke" the AD might be a little strong. I'm excited to have another contender in this bracket that brings some wonderful things to the table. The fact that it's closed can mean all the difference to those of us who need that benefit. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #299 of 510
Quote:
Main reason I'm asking is I can still return my he500... I don't really want to but if it truly does outperform them then...

I would say don't return them. It'll be a big mistake. Even if the Alphas are in the same league you can always save up money and buy the Alphas at a later time. Remember, they're not even out until the end of September. Product launches have been known to be delayed on Head-Fi. Not saying it's going to happen with the Alphas, but you never know. It's not out until Dan starts shipping. I can totally imagine a scenerio where Dan tells us due to circumstances beyond his control the Alphas will be delayed till end of October instead of September.

Once they're out we have to wait a few months to see all the various impressions/reviews/measurements until the hype dies down to a manageable level and we get some sort of consenous to the sound vs the HE-500. The HE-500s are world class phones; when they were released they were being compared to the HD800/T1/HE-6 and coming up on top often. This of course no longer happens as people have downgraded the HE-500/LCD-2 for some reason I can't fathom...

For the money the HE-500s are a steal. No doubt. Even if something better comes along it'll be worth keeping in the stable for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back