Hifiman HE-1000 coming
May 9, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #436 of 446
  Ether puts you to sleep......
L3000.gif

In a good sense or in a good sense?

As in, is it boring or is it so "Nirvana" like?

May 10, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #439 of 446
Just came back from the Vancouver Audio Show 15 and got a chance to demo the HE1000. Thanks for the Heads(fi)-up Peter otherwise I would have totally missed it.
First off handling the HE1000 felt exactly like I thought it would from the pictures -- lighter than I figured, being used to wearing the HE-500 it felt like it was comparatively much lighter, very comfy and well-cushioned.

Sound wise this is quite difficult to zero-in on with demo set-ups even though I came away with a few impressions (below). Hifi Centre, who are going to be carrying the HE1000, were driving them balanced with an Auralic Taurus headphone amp. They also had the HE-560 accessing the same source but driven by the Hifiman EF100, so a quick side-by-side comparison of the two headphones was possible. I mostly listened to James Blake's 'Limit To Your Love' since I wanted to test the bass out. I also listened to some other tracks that don't particularly stand out. Against the HE1000 the HE560 sounded a bit edgy or perhaps strident (that's the word that came to mind). But having extensively listened to the 560 before I would say this was probably due to the amp. One just comes up against the shortcomings of demo set ups here.

The HE1000 sounded incredibly full, perhaps enveloping is the word vs the 560. It just felt like listening to speakers in an acoustically treated room (ala HE1000) (there were so many speaker audio rooms at the show), vs a room full of interrupters. Bass was incredible, didn't feel like the 1000s were breaking any sweat with the James Blake track. Detail was all there but I would put the 1000 on the warm side of detail.

I really would have loved to try the HE1000 with my own set up using familiar parameters, but the headphone really impressed and gave the sense of being miles ahead of the 560. P.S. Couldn't get the 560 to simultaneously play from the 1/4 inch headphone out of the Auralic Taurus which would have been a better comparison.

Quote:
I tried the HE1000 yesterday at the Vancouver Audio Show. Listened to my familiar test tracks for about 10 minutes on my HiFi M8, and demo tracks via an Auralic stack. First impressions were that they are very light and comfortable compared to my LCD-2F.

Instrument separation is nice and clear. Soundstage is wide like the HD800s, but I did not draw any conclusion on depth in my short listen.

Bass is tight, with lots of sound pressure from the huge diaphragm. A brighter and less colored headphone than the Audeze, but not as strident as the HD800 (which hurt my ears). Short story... A new object of desire!

May 11, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #440 of 446
I heard the HE-1000 at the Vancouver Audio Show today as well.  It was near the end of the day and the staff was talking pretty loudly when I listened so lots of ambient noise was coming through.  Overall, they are nice to hold and very comfortable to wear (for something this big).  I didn't feel any pressure point on my temple nor top of my head as I get from the Audeze LCD-3f.  Also, they don't seem to get as warm as the Audeze too.

Sound-wise, they are more natural (or neutral) than the Audeze.  In some ways, I prefer it.  I was reading some reviews from this board where people were impressed by the bass.  It may have been the material and/or the amp but I thought it could have been deeper or tighter.  Overall, I kinda liked it but I'm not absolutely sure that it's worth the CAD$3700 they were asking.  Mind you, having just bought the LCD-3f, I don't think they are worth what I paid neither. :-\

-H

May 11, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #442 of 446
We only had 10 days to coordinate attending the Vancouver show sending our new dealer in Vancouver (HIFI CENTRE), their order, so unfortunately we were not placed in the best of locations, for proper listening at the show.  We will be in a good location next year and expect to attend the Toronto TAVES show in October.  Thanks for making the time to have a listen!  D2MK... Canada HiFiMAN sales.

May 11, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #443 of 446
Hey Dale ... another thing that was missing was some kind of announcement here on Head-Fi, which would have alerted a lot more head-fiers who've been following the development of the HE1000. Yeah ... in terms of the room, not really the best spot to share the room with a speaker demo . But still the HE1000 set-up was nicely thought out and laid out. Good to know there's a Hifiman rep we can bug, eh!

May 11, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #444 of 446
Thanks Terja;

Yes, I agree with you in regard to the poor notification about HiFiMAN displaying and now that I am working with them here in Canada, I will make sure all friends, North of the border are made aware of any dealer and/or show events that are held across Canada.

Happy Listening.  D2MK

May 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #446 of 446
  Actually the HE1000 is a double side Planar, not single as you suggested.

asymmetrical double sided, so that kind of like a hybrid of single and double sided. half the amount of magnets as a traditional double sided design which reduces the weight. I heard that it has larger magnets on the outer side with smaller magnets on the inside. you will have to ask dr. fang about the exact improvements that this design brings to the table, but it traditionally it is thought that double sided gives you better driver control and less distortion while single sided gives you a lighter weight and less interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back