Hifiman HE-1000 coming
Mar 30, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #406 of 446
confused.gif

i dont like its look ..
am i the only one?

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #407 of 446
Mar 30, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #408 of 446
  Just went to CanJam today, and listened to the HE-1000 again (after listening to it for the first time at CES). It still sounds excellent, pretty much like what I remember from CES in terms of detail retrieval, soundstage, and overall technical ability. So I'll just refer people to my CES impressions if they want more details on what I think about the HE-1000. Here's the post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/225#post_11197631

However, I will note that the tuning seems to have changed a bit since I heard it at CES. The HE-1000 seems to have been tuned to be a bit warmer, which is what I heard and what Fang Bian confirmed to me when I asked him about it there. However, you still have that Hifiman sound, so that you means you still have a well-extended treble and definitely not Audeze sound.

I was also very lucky to be able to listen to the HE-1000 with the Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil combo. First off, I'm going to say that while I thought the Schiit combo was good, it's not going to make current owners of other high-end gear be very jealous. Don't get me wrong, the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combo sounded very good, excellent even, but to me did not sound really better than any of the other high-end combos that I heard at CanJam (for example, to me it didn't sound any better paired with the HD-800 or the Ether than those same headphones paired with the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold paired with some really expensive DAC that I forget the name of). Also, the HE-1000 sounded really, really bright with the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil combo (to the point of being harsh at times in my opinion). However, if I look past that, I found the HE-1000 paired with the Schiit combo to be really, really good. With well-recorded music, once again there was this realistic layer to the sound that no other headphone at the show (with the exception of the SR-009 paired with Frank's amp) could really come close to. I especially remember some kind of orchestral/chorus track that I randomly picked at the Schiit table, and I was pretty impressed with what I heard in terms of actually feeling like being in the actual concert hall for such a thing. I think a lot of people will be extremely pleased with the HE-1000/Schiit combo, but personally I found the HE-1000 to pair better with Hifiman's EF-1000 amp (which is warmer but still not lacking in detail, and much closer to my tonality preferences). I do wish that I could've plugged in the HE-1000 into one of the Cavalli Audio amps (which I was extremely impressed with), but Mr. Bian wanted to keep the HE-1000 in the room where Hifiman was, and so I respected his wishes.

Once again, the HE-1000 impressed me a lot. To be honest, I'm actually starting to think that it's actually worth the $3000, because I have heard the Abyss (back at CES) and have heard the SR-009 (here at CanJam) and I don't think the HE-1000 is lacking in any way compared to either of those headphones.

Also, does anybody know why the other HE-1000 thread was locked?

beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #409 of 446

Exactly what I've been saying but no one believed me, seems like people think that latest = greatest.

I'm quite sure that my (upcoming) setup Auralic Vega -> Audio-gd Master 9 will be at least as good as or even better than Schiit Reference stack.

I'll have the added ability to change volume with a remote control (Which I already have actually, though digitally through the Vega) everyone was crying on the Schiit thread about lack of a remote control is why I'm talking about it

Also the added option of DSD/DXD :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #410 of 446
What's funny to me is the comments in the CanJam thread.  People are hearing Amps, DACs, and Headphones for the "FIRST" time and saying things like....  The Yggy is a game changer..  or  I noticed a lose in SQ going front he Yggy to other high end DACs.  

What???

What about the amps?  How do they know what they where hearing wasn't the amp that they never heard before as well?  With out being very familiar.... and I mean very familiar with your chain, it's very hard to tell what is what - Especially the DAC.  The DAC was so hyped up - the expectation bias was already set in most peoples head.  

I read one person say it didn't do anything for him...

Anyway..  What seems to be very consistent is the impressions about the HE-1000.  Now if the build quality can hold up this may be a winner after all.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #411 of 446
  What's funny to me is the comments in the CanJam thread.  People are hearing Amps, DACs, and Headphones for the "FIRST" time and saying things like....  The Yggy is a game changer..  or  I noticed a lose in SQ going front he Yggy to other high end DACs.  

What???

What about the amps?  How do they know what they where hearing wasn't the amp that they never heard before as well?  With out being very familiar.... and I mean very familiar with your chain, it's very hard to tell what is what - Especially the DAC.  The DAC was so hyped up - the expectation bias was already set in most peoples head.  

I read one person say it didn't do anything for him...

Anyway..  What seems to be very consistent is the impressions about the HE-1000.  Now if the build quality can hold up this may be a winner after all.

really? i thought all the impressions seemed pretty honest with the person's background & everything usually included.

ya, seems like the he-1000 and oppo ha-2 generally got a lot of favorable buzz. also ether too though a few people whose opinion i value didn't seem that impressed or described the sound in a way that made it seem a bit overpriced at $1.5k. I think at $1.2k the ether would be a real game changer and killer. at $1.5, you can get a hd800, t1, k812, he-560, lcd-2, th900, or he-6 for cheaper. i still really excited about the ether and other new goodies coming out regardless of first impressions. meet conditions are hardly the best place to get an accurate judge of stuff, but it was very enjoyable to read everything nonetheless.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #412 of 446
HE-1000, Ether and Dharma are still the three I'll be watching :) :D

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #413 of 446
What does one's background have to do with:  Putting on a pair of headphones for the first time, Hearing an amp for the first time and plugging in a DAC for the very first time and giving a first impression "This DAC is endgame" in less than 1 hour?

A lot of 2 channel guys I know will not even make any kind of judgment until the DAC, AMP, or Speakers are in their home where they are very familiar with the entire chain - and they will still say "Give me a week"..  

I'm just saying..  Expectation bias is a &*%$@

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #414 of 446
  What does one's background have to do with:  Putting on a pair of headphones for the first time, Hearing an amp for the first time and plugging in a DAC for the very first time and giving a first impression "This DAC is endgame" in less than 1 hour?

A lot of 2 channel guys I know will not even make any kind of judgment until the DAC, AMP, or Speakers are in their home where they are very familiar with the entire chain - and they will still say "Give me a week"..  

I'm just saying..  Expectation bias is a &*%$@

well, i agree with that. expectation bias or even price bias cannot be ignored. but I haven't really seen anyone making absurd claims on the canjam impressions thread.

note: i don't think saying that a certain set-up is the best they've heard or that a certain set-up can something that they be happy settling on for their own endgame is that unreasonable. subjective impressions in a meet environment. i think we all know how to interpret those.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #415 of 446
The only way I can "test" any type of gear would be to bring along my 60+ lbs of dac/amp, my server, my cables, and my headphones, and change out the different component I'm assessing. And at that, I would need at least a month of listening to thoroughly appreciate any differences. A/B testing is also a plus but it's too hindered by mood and environmental factors. It should always come last after extended listening imo. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #416 of 446
  well, i agree with that. expectation bias or even price bias cannot be ignored. but I haven't really seen anyone making absurd claims on the canjam impressions thread.

note: i don't think saying that a certain set-up is the best they've heard or that a certain set-up can something that they be happy settling on for their own endgame is that unreasonable. subjective impressions in a meet environment. i think we all know how to interpret those.

I don't think you're reading what I'm writing..   I said nothing about a "set-up"  I said in a setup where one has never heard any of the units say "This DAC" is end game.  

Just because you haven't read the threads don't mean they're not there - And yes I've read about 4 difference claims in that thread.  
cool.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #417 of 446
i respectfully disagree. i've read the thread in its entirety and did not feel uncomfortable abt anything said. sure, not smtg I wld take to the bank, but afterall, its personal impressions in meet conditions without extensive headtime, direct comparisons using the same setup, or any blind testing. same can be said abt a lot of posts that float around here. nothing outrageous or overhyped or too blatantly biased being passed off as objective information.

lol so this discussion may be gettin OT and not contributing to this specific thread, so maybe new thread or pm? wldnt want another he1k gettin locked down.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #418 of 446
You feeling uncomfortable was not a point of mine nor is a concern.  I was pointing out what I read in that thread in direct relation and agreeing to a post made by chowmin83.  To be frank - you just budded in. 
cool.gif

Back to the HE1000s.   

So is the sound sig of the HE1000 on the warm side, on the neutral side or a tad bit on the bright side?

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #419 of 446
  You feeling uncomfortable was not a point of mine nor is a concern.  I was pointing out what I read in that thread in direct relation and agreeing to a post made by chowmin83.  To be frank - you just budded in. 
cool.gif

Back to the HE1000s.   

So is the sound sig of the HE1000 on the warm side, on the neutral side or a tad bit on the bright side?

To be honest, for me it's hard to say. I want to say that it's a bit on the brighter side (I called the HE-1000 a somewhat warmer HE-560), but then I also noticed warmth in the mids and lows (that the HE-560 doesn't seem to quite have).

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #420 of 446
lol well, if the problem is 1-4 posts out of a entire thread that doesn't even mention the phrase 'end game' once w/ the particular post referenced taken out of context as it seems to clearly articulated a personal game changer after trying many different dacs with the disclaimer that not enough time was spent on everything... i'd personally disagree with a reaction that seems to be broadly discrediting the subjective impressions/experiences found on the thread. i imagine that it wld be quite a difficult task to match all the other components at canjam, so impressions may be affected by other factors, but nonetheless can still quite helpful & enjoyable to read. ymmv of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back