Hifiman HE-1000 coming
Jan 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #376 of 446

Ok now I think I know your point of preference… I want to hear the HE-1000 together with EF-1000 and other amps for myself before I comment further on this subject, but I am skeptical to this lacking in warmth and involvement from Hifiman’s statement amp. Especially as some people has describe the HE + HF as sounding as lush and euphonic as the HE-90, and this in direct compere.

Ok, I just want to say one last thing about this topic, otherwise it might turn into an argument.
tongue.gif

Knowing my preferences and how I evaluate things, I believe most people will find the Hifiman amps to be sufficiently warm. I'm never going to call the Hifiman amps very warm because I've been exposed to stuff like Fiio's older products, which are known for having a very warm and dark sound signature.

I never meant to imply that the Hifiman amps were lacking in warmth and involvement. They're definitely not cold sounding, they're still exciting to listen to (definitely not very laid back), and the detail coming from their amps really does help to put me into the music. However, I'd just prefer a tiny bit more warmth - but Hifiman's amps are not that lacking in warmth, far from it actually.

Hopefully this better illuminates where I'm coming from and how I feel about Hifiman's amps.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #377 of 446

I agree that the VAC’s high-class power amps is amassing, but how do you know that it’s the HF-1000 and not the HE-1000 that was “lacking in warmth and end-to-end resonance”? I mean don’t you at least have to try it on another amp to come to this conclusion. I have read that they had the HF6 on CES and it is often described as to be rather (or sometimes to) warm. Did it sound better with the HF6 in this regard?

You make a good point. I usually compare headphones as a group on a dedicated, relatively neutral system. That is how I arrived on the HE-500s some time back (I liked them over the HE-6, the HE-5, and the Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3). 

This kind of test wasn't possible, given the dedicated amp and plug/power requirement. After my initial listening session, I asked if I could test them with a different amp in the room, but was politely told by one of the representatives that it wasn't possible, given these requirements. 

It's not that the system had any true shortcomings. When the amp and source provided the sound quality in the two areas I mentioned (overall warmth, and collective points of detail that convey resonance and presence), and with songs I'm familiar with, it simply nailed these moments, and beautifully so. But overall, given my familiarity with the recordings, the ongoing representation of those two particular areas wasn't as consistent as I'd normally prefer via my own amp/source.

When those particular areas were fully realized by (apparently) everything behind the headphones, it was astounding. And it delivered a multitude of other qualities incredibly well. That is also why I indicated I'd buy them - they were that good.

And I find it is the amp (about 60-70% of the time) that will influence the two particular areas I mentioned above. It can also be the source, and even the cables. My impression was more based on personal experience than the result of a comprehensive test. But it also indicated what was possible. So the fact that these moments arrived at all, let me know that the headphones were capable of conveying them.

I tried the HE-560 immediately thereafter on a different amp (same source, I believe). They had excellent detail, bass and clarity. My HE-500s have a more integrated, cohesive approach to sound reproduction. You don't notice a sharp difference or delineation between the treble and the bass - you just listen to the music. The HE-560 seemed to separate the treble, mid and bass into distinct and different areas, but the HE-560 reproduced each of those areas with better resolution and detail than the HE-500. Almost like two different product lines and approaches. 

And in answer to your question, as I liked the HE-500 over the HE-6, then the HE-560 may likely be better than both in my system. It's probably more a matter of preference. But the HE-1000 had far better soundstaging/dimensionality, realism and clarity. And it had that same quality of musical cohesion as the HE-500s.

Again, when you hear the best, your impressions will be different thereafter. And the HE-1000 was certainly the best set of headphones I heard that day.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #378 of 446

This kind of test wasn't possible, given the dedicated amp and plug/power requirement. After my initial listening session, I asked if I could test them with a different amp in the room, but was politely told by one of the representatives that it wasn't possible, given these requirements. 

Do you mean they just didn't have another powerful enough balanced amp there?  Surely it doesn't NEED to be used ONLY with this amp...

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #380 of 446
Well, the truth certainly is out there 
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #383 of 446

But the HE-1000 had far better soundstaging/dimensionality, realism and clarity. And it had that same quality of musical cohesion as the HE-500s.

Again, when you hear the best, your impressions will be different thereafter. And the HE-1000 was certainly the best set of headphones I heard that day.

I appreciate your description of the HE-1000 sound.  For me, that could be a strong selling point depending on the price.

Mike

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #384 of 446
Anybody knows if weight will be under 300g - 350g.. this is a must for any next flagship. I will not pay 2000 for breaking my neck. Also clamping and headbang have to be perfect.

if it does not i will wait for the HD1000

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #385 of 446
  Anybody knows if weight will be under 300g - 350g.. this is a must for any next flagship. I will not pay 2000 for breaking my neck. Also clamping and headbang have to be perfect.

if it does not i will wait for the HD1000

AFAIK it's about the same as HE560 in weight. HE560 is 360g.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #386 of 446
AFAIK it's about the same as HE560 in weight. HE560 is 360g.

i thought the he560 was 380g? but ya, the he1k's weight seemed very close to my he560 when i tried it.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #387 of 446
380g is acceptable but 300g is a lot better... world of difference i find.. the headband can compensate for balance but weight is weight

they should keep same funky style but with a lightweight non resonant strong metal or carbon fiber...

--
now its kinda look like a toaster :wink:

OH AND I HATE WOOD VENEER or WOOD.. please we are in 2015..

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #388 of 446
i thought the he560 was 380g? but ya, the he1k's weight seemed very close to my he560 when i tried it.

Right, 380g.

I find it intriguing that HE1000 ends up being similar to 560 in weight, even though it's clear that 1000 has more magnets on the outside face of the drivers due to its larger driver, as well as magnets lining the inside face (whereas HE560 has no magnets facing inward). How are they keeping the weight down, is my question.

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #389 of 446

Right, 380g.

I find it intriguing that HE1000 ends up being similar to 560 in weight, even though it's clear that 1000 has more magnets on the outside face of the drivers due to its larger driver, as well as magnets lining the inside face (whereas HE560 has no magnets facing inward). How are they keeping the weight down, is my question.

Pluck some holes out of the headband . . . there ya go! 50 grams gone
biggrin.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back