Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,611 of 2,784
Hi everyone! I would like to ask about something related.
How would you rate the Edition XS in bass quality, suitability for heavy metal music, performance among Hifiman headphones (maybe Audeze too), and value among Hifiman and maybe Audeze headphones.
If you have no idea, you can sort it like this x > Edition XS > y > z
HFM HE-6 6 screw>LCD-4 OG>LCD-3>LCD-2>X-2021>HE-6 SE>HEK Stealth>HE-500>Arya Stealth>XS>Ananda Stealth

That is for metal. For accuracy the LCD-3 and LCD-2 take a tumble due to serious dips in the upper mids/low treble and high treble.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #2,612 of 2,784
Do you recommend a non-parametric graphic equalization for the xs , to make it sound great.
How many bands, and where? Great? No, Better than not, probably, but Parametric 6 band or higher would be the best way IMO.

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #2,614 of 2,784
10 bands, i use uapp, eq graphic.
All EQ systems used on a phone or computer are digital.
The "Graphic" bit, only means how it is presented to the user. It means, there is a graphical interface, to control the equaliser. The slides you use, up & down, that's the graphical interface.
You can control the very same equaliser , using parametric controls. That means, telling the software what frequency , how sharp the filter, and by how much. One can type these numbers (parameters ) using a keyboard into a text file, or in the correct boxes of a parametric equaliser.
At the end, it is the same equaliser in either case, what differs, is how one controls it.
For EDXS, I only used a one band equaliser!
1750 Hz , Q 3 , +3dB.
That's it.
But if you want more bass, or less treble, have fun and indulge yourself, but EDXS, doesn't need it.

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,616 of 2,784
Can HEK Stealth come close to HE6se slam ?
According to my friend it's closer to the SE v1 than the Arya Stealth, though it might be 1.25 > instead of 1.0. Serious listening session coming next week to be sure.

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #2,617 of 2,784
Jul 27, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #2,618 of 2,784
All EQ systems used on a phone or computer are digital.
The "Graphic" bit, only means how it is presented to the user. It means, there is a graphical interface, to control the equaliser. The slides you use, up & down, that's the graphical interface.
You can control the very same equaliser , using parametric controls. That means, telling the software what frequency , how sharp the filter, and by how much. One can type these numbers (parameters ) using a keyboard into a text file, or in the correct boxes of a parametric equaliser.
At the end, it is the same equaliser in either case, what differs, is how one controls it.
For EDXS, I only used a one band equaliser!
1750 Hz , Q 3 , +3dB.
That's it.
But if you want more bass, or less treble, have fun and indulge yourself, but EDXS, doesn't need it.
For me. they need a bit of taming at 6.2k and 12k. Your 1.75k adjustment is for sure the most critical. I think a 2.5 db bass shelf at 20-50 hz is nice too, bass heads more of course.

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #2,620 of 2,784
Another thing, but don't know where to ask it, why is the Deva ignored practically everywhere? Isn't it versatile enough? It definitely has weak bass, but other than that I heard it being said to be "mellow". Also what about the Sundara? Is it a better deal than the Edition XS or not?

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #2,621 of 2,784
This is a wild question, I realize, but how much of what I love in the Edition XS is amplified in something like the eye-wateringly expensive Susvara? I’ve heard some flagships (most notably the DCA Expanse, Meze Empyrean), but not the Susvara.

Aug 5, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #2,622 of 2,784
What pads are a good alternative to tame the treble bite with the XS?

Aug 5, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #2,623 of 2,784
This is a wild question, I realize, but how much of what I love in the Edition XS is amplified in something like the eye-wateringly expensive Susvara? I’ve heard some flagships (most notably the DCA Expanse, Meze Empyrean), but not the Susvara.
I have.
Its a very smooth, controlled EDXS!
needs four times the power and more.
But, blow your mind, day and night, it ain't .
Neither is Stealth.
Very good, true but ten times better? naah

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #2,624 of 2,784
I have.
Its a very smooth, controlled EDXS!
needs four times the power and more.
But, blow your mind, day and night, it ain't .
Neither is Stealth.
Very good, true but ten times better? naah
Quantatively if an earbud is a 0, the XS is probably ~82% as good as a Susvara. The HEK Stealth ~95% as good as a Susvara.

Price differences in audio might start out as linear: HE-400->Sundara->XS. But at some point it turns into a sine wave.

You can buy 13.33 XS's for the price of a Susvara, or 3.1 XS's for the price of a HEK Stealth. I had 3 meals ~40 years ago that cost ~$450 total, back then that was about 65 Big Mac's, Fries, and a drink. Make it 650 forgettable meals, never lay a hand on my memory of those 3 meals.

Then there is budget, current equipment... The quantatative argument doesn't work on me W.R.T. the XS since I have a HE-6 SE, 500, and HEX v2. To me the difference between the XS, and my stuff vs a HEK Stealth/Final D8000/Rall CA-1a/LCD-4/Susvara is quite a lot. Everyone has to decide for themselves.

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #2,625 of 2,784
Quantatively if an earbud is a 0, the XS is probably ~82% as good as a Susvara. The HEK Stealth ~95% as good as a Susvara.

Price differences in audio might start out as linear: HE-400->Sundara->XS. But at some point it turns into a sine wave.

You can buy 13.33 XS's for the price of a Susvara, or 3.1 XS's for the price of a HEK Stealth. I had 3 meals ~40 years ago that cost ~$450 total, back then that was about 65 Big Mac's, Fries, and a drink. Make it 650 forgettable meals, never lay a hand on my memory of those 3 meals.

Then there is budget, current equipment... The quantatative argument doesn't work on me W.R.T. the XS since I have a HE-6 SE, 500, and HEX v2. To me the difference between the XS, and my stuff vs a HEK Stealth/Final D8000/Rall CA-1a/LCD-4/Susvara is quite a lot. Everyone has to decide for themselves.
I sold my EDXS, because it needed a new home.
The only reason was that I needed a closed back headphone! you know, my wife, the train, the plane . . . .
So I moved on to an Audeze LCD-XC (costs $1300), which was the best sounding closed back I could find, that didn't cost ridiculous amounts of money . Sure it needed a Mod. and some EQing, but ultimately I got it to where I wanted it to be.
As for open backs, and sound quality, it is true that the EDXS is not the ultimate one, but for the price, I haven't heard better. It has issues! sure, what doesn't? but it is comparable to few $1000s headphones, costing about $500.

BTW, I use a Chord Hugo2 to power my headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back