35 Hz low shelf +2.2 db Q 1.0
74 Hz low shelf +1.4 db Q 1.0
200 Hz analog bell -1.8 db Q .8
1.7k Hz analog bell +2.8 db Q 1.8
4.6k Hz analog bell -2.4 db Q 6.2
8.2k Hz analog bell -2.8 db Q 7.8
9.8k Hz analog bell -4 db Q 8.0
11.5k Hz analog bell -4 db Q 4.2

Unit to unit variation means that all the settings 4.6k and above might be shifted, the 3 highest more so. Final tuning must by ear on the best recordings you can muster.

The last 3 are so close you may need to raise the area from 7.5-13k and the apply the settings a bit deeper.

The 35, 74, 1.7k, 9.8k are the most critical, then 200, 4.6k, 11.5k
You got a like from me because of your clause regarding upper band figures.
I only used the 1.7kHz , and I arrived at that by ear, on my early version I got direct from China, when EDXS was not released anywhere else.

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,462 of 2,784
You got a like from me because of your clause regarding upper band figures.
I only used the 1.7kHz , and I arrived at that by ear, on my early version I got direct from China, when EDXS was not released anywhere else.
The treble settings are very narrow - except the 4.6k which is just narrow. Planars tend to be very flat from 20 Hz -1k. Many have a dip in the 1.5k-2.5k area because of the depth of the housing being a specific depth. Say a can has 1 inch depth on both sides (which is a lot), if you could make them slanted so they would go from .3 to 1.0 inches, the dip would be spread out much more and if you tucked in 6 divots in those slanted faces of say 3 different depths, the dips would be even less extreme. Study up on baffle effects, recessed drivers, etc with speakers and its the same sorts of things.

The CSD issue centered around 9.2k is easy to hear. Not just one recording. Try 50 of different types w/ and w/o the suggested parametric settings (you would NEVER be able to do this with a fixed freq EQ - even of 31 bands BTW).

I don't have my preferred visible parametric to model that these days. I'll mine some of my prior posts to demonstrate. and post if I get a good one. Hmmm could not dig up a good one. When I say very narrow, I mean a run of 1 with a rise of 5+. Its to address colorations so the headphone can be heard at its best. I eschew following crinicle because below 100 Hz (its quite wrong), and the 3-5k settings are a bit too aggressive as well. OK as a baseline - and if you are a basshead you may agree with the colorations they endorse. But hearing differs, and there is notable differences in headphone treble unit to unit even in the same run. Its probably worst with planars since the tension of the mylar altered just a smidge has big audible consequences. Every user must decide whats right based on their standards.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #2,463 of 2,784
It's been half a week and since everyone's talking about EQ I decided to finally setup peace + equalizer apo after all these years. Using oratory1990's harman preset:
1680809479104.png

The highs without EQ were pushing the limits for me. With EQ, it's a lot easier on my ears, and the bass bump is much appreciated. I'll probably roll with EQ for this headphone for the time being.

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #2,464 of 2,784
EQ really helps. I was a skeptic/foe for a long time, and then I tried it. It has made some very good headphones even better.

My previous opposition to EQ was stupid. I used EQ on car stereos, boom boxes and other audio equipment through the 80s and 90s and never thought twice.

To me, EQ is like your favorite condiment. Sure, an omelette with basic spices is fine. But an omelette with basic spices and Frank's Red Hot sauce splashed on it? DIVINE. :)

Apr 6, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #2,465 of 2,784
It's been half a week and since everyone's talking about EQ I decided to finally setup peace + equalizer apo after all these years. Using oratory1990's harman preset:
1680809479104.png

The highs without EQ were pushing the limits for me. With EQ, it's a lot easier on my ears, and the bass bump is much appreciated. I'll probably roll with EQ for this headphone for the time being.
Whoa. That sample was a lot different than the one I used. -5.5db at 68 Hz for an open back... wow.

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #2,466 of 2,784
Apr 7, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #2,467 of 2,784
Well, the +5.5db at 105Hz is probably the reason for the -2.5db at 68Hz, and overall -5.5db to avoid clipping. I have plenty of headway in terms of volume power on my magni 2 as these aren't too difficult to drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djhxtkvqne01kxv/Hifiman Edition XS.pdf?dl=0

Measurements and graphs for reference
Hmmmm... dropbox just ate all my memory in just the dialog, so I cannot see it at this point.

My point was that your copy and system was different than mine - because a boost in the mid-bass didn't seem to be the formula in the set-up I heard it in.. Every XS EQ graph I've seen shows a drop below 65 Hz also.

Viva la difference.

Apr 7, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #2,468 of 2,784
Hmmmm... dropbox just ate all my memory in just the dialog, so I cannot see it at this point.

My point was that your copy and system was different than mine - because a boost in the mid-bass didn't seem to be the formula in the set-up I heard it in.. Every XS EQ graph I've seen shows a drop below 65 Hz also.

Viva la difference.
Hm yeah that's interesting. Other than the settings you posted I haven't looked at any others really. I'll need to spend more time playing around and seeing what I like.

1680894488005.png

Not sure what was up with dropbox on your side but here's the info for reference.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #2,469 of 2,784
OK so the net effect of the 2 bass settings make sense on the graph to a large extent

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #2,470 of 2,784
Has anyone heard the sennheiser HD660S2, HD650, or Neumann NDH-30 headphones, in addition to the edition XS? If so, could you provide a detailed, explained comparison? I would be primarily interested in technical aspects.

Apr 9, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #2,471 of 2,784
Has anyone heard the sennheiser HD660S2, HD650, or Neumann NDH-30 headphones, in addition to the edition XS? If so, could you provide a detailed, explained comparison? I would be primarily interested in technical aspects.
I have a HD 6XX so that probably satisfies the HD 650 comparison. Every time I do an A/B test with the 6XX, I'm reminded of the "sennheiser veil" - especially so if I compare with most planars. The 6XX to me has a very pleasant midrange and is a very non fatiguing and relaxing listen, but it really doesn't blow me away with clarity. On the other hand, the Edition XS is extremely crisp and is great at reproducing even the quickest clicks.

The Edition XS is just a little too bright for me out of the box. Treble steps a little over for my ears depending on the song - some songs I could listen without EQ, some songs I need EQ otherwise my ears fatigue quite quickly from the treble.. The midrange on the XS isn't as intimate and is a little hollower than the 6XX. Midbass slams harder on the 6XX, while Edition XS subbass brings a much nicer rumble.

Soundstage is bigger on the XS, but the imaging on the 6XX seems much more defined.

p.s. I've been running the oratory1990 eq preset since my last post and like it a lot, I'll probably keep listening with that EQ for the lifetime of this headphone.

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #2,472 of 2,784
I would like to ask the owners of the Hifiman edition XS, how do you feel about the headphones, and what do you share your experience listening to? in many tests it is written that the space is large, the stage is wide, and the imaging is very accurate, as well as that the middle frequency range is very detailed, the bass is very full, meaty and complete compared to other hifiman type headphones. I hear the headphones as having a very small stage, very intimate, almost as it sounds in my head, not something detailed, so average, and the imaging is not that good, however, I agree that the deep range is complete, it goes down quite a bit and it has a good body there is, but I don't agree with the rest of what many testers write, such as headfonia or headfonics. I listen to the headphones with a Violectric dha v590 mk2 device, which is currently one of the best and most powerful solid-state amplifiers on the market. in addition, I use a meze audio 3.5mm eight-core $150 4.4mm balanced cable. so it is out of the question that it does not drive the headphones perfectly and does not bring out the maximum potential from it. or maybe I've heard and owned and still own much better headphones, and that's why the XS seems so little?

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #2,473 of 2,784
I would like to ask the owners of the Hifiman edition XS, how do you feel about the headphones, and what do you share your experience listening to? in many tests it is written that the space is large, the stage is wide, and the imaging is very accurate, as well as that the middle frequency range is very detailed, the bass is very full, meaty and complete compared to other hifiman type headphones. I hear the headphones as having a very small stage, very intimate, almost as it sounds in my head, not something detailed, so average, and the imaging is not that good, however, I agree that the deep range is complete, it goes down quite a bit and it has a good body there is, but I don't agree with the rest of what many testers write, such as headfonia or headfonics. I listen to the headphones with a Violectric dha v590 mk2 device, which is currently one of the best and most powerful solid-state amplifiers on the market. in addition, I use a meze audio 3.5mm eight-core $150 4.4mm balanced cable. so it is out of the question that it does not drive the headphones perfectly and does not bring out the maximum potential from it. or maybe I've heard and owned and still own much better headphones, and that's why the XS seems so little?
I'm telling you this is simply the best pair of headphones you can get for 500 to even 800$. Paired with a good DAC/Amp it's a very good choice. When it comes to soundstage, it's not so wide it sounds artificial but it's very wide. Very detailed. The comfort is a bit off (at least for me) but I solved it purchasing from Amazon the Geekria Large Hook and Loop Headband Cover . You won't regret your choice providing you have a good DAC/Amp (witch you seem to do)

Apr 14, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #2,474 of 2,784
In 20+ years of being an audiophile, I've never been happier with a headphone. I've owned many, and the XS is simply the best price/performance set, as well as one of the best tuned I've ever owned. It blows away previous Hifiman and Audeze sets I've had.

With that said, I also needed to have mine repaired after almost 2 years. If it wasn't so good, I would have gone with something else, but I wanted to stick with them.

The oratory AutoEQ is perfect too. I've been getting close EQ wise without it, but AutoEQ w measurements is the best thing to happen to audio software in a long time.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #2,475 of 2,784
In 20+ years of being an audiophile, I've never been happier with a headphone. I've owned many, and the XS is simply the best price/performance set, as well as one of the best tuned I've ever owned. It blows away previous Hifiman and Audeze sets I've had.

With that said, I also needed to have mine repaired after almost 2 years. If it wasn't so good, I would have gone with something else, but I wanted to stick with them.

The oratory AutoEQ is perfect too. I've been getting close EQ wise without it, but AutoEQ w measurements is the best thing to happen to audio software in a long time.
what defiance and amplifier are you listening to? What other types of headphones do you have that you think the XS is better than?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back