Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Mar 14, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #2,416 of 2,778
I’ve been eyeing these for some time. The b stock prices on the XS at Hifiman are pretty hard to resist. I’ve been researching them in comparison to the Ananda and some other sets that are in the same general sub $500 price range. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger today.

I currently own a set of Deva Pros (wired) and I really like them a lot. The headband could be better but I don’t mind it. I can wear them for extended periods without any major issues.

Headphone wise I own HD650, DT990 Pros, HD598 and 99, Sivga Robin and the Deva Pro wired. The Edition XS feels like it’ll be a good addition.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #2,417 of 2,778
I’ve been eyeing these for some time. The b stock prices on the XS at Hifiman are pretty hard to resist. I’ve been researching them in comparison to the Ananda and some other sets that are in the same general sub $500 price range. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger today.

I currently own a set of Deva Pros (wired) and I really like them a lot. The headband could be better but I don’t mind it. I can wear them for extended periods without any major issues.

Headphone wise I own HD650, DT990 Pros, HD598 and 99, Sivga Robin and the Deva Pro wired. The Edition XS feels like it’ll be a good addition.
Please share your thoughts after some time with the XS. I have many of the HPs you do, and have been looking at these also. Yeah, that B stock price is very good. Originally I was looking at the HE560v4.

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #2,420 of 2,778
Hello, I am very interested in the XS. Maybe you can answer some questions:

- Would you say that it beats similar priced headphones like r70x, 610, hd600 and so on?
- I read that it feels loose on normal and smaller heads. I know there is a construction for the headband and you can bend it but out of the box it is not comfortable for normal heads or is it ok if you don't move your head too much?
- Would you say the hekv2 is only a small step above or a bigger improvement?
- Would you choose it for games, movies and rock / metal?

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #2,421 of 2,778

I can give some early impressions but others who have had these for a while will be better able to answer these questions. I’ve had mine for fewer than 24 hours.

- Would you say that it beats similar priced headphones like r70x, 610, hd600 and so on?

I own HD650s. “Beats” is pretty subjective. They’re different in a lot of ways.

- I read that it feels loose on normal and smaller heads. I know there is a construction for the headband and you can bend it but out of the box it is not comfortable for normal heads or is it ok if you don't move your head too much?

I think the clamp force could be stronger, but they’re not loose or floppy on my head, which is average sized. You can’t wear them to do activities beyond walking around your house, but that’s true of most full size phones.

Someone else will have to answer this one.

Yes.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #2,422 of 2,778
But does it have great depth too? Big and wide soundstage without excellent front to back depth is a turnoff for me personally.

From my EARLY impressions without any “brain burn in” I think the stage has lots of depth. I’ve come across the criticism that they don’t have much depth and so far I totally disagree. They aren’t creating artificial stage, but recordings with lots of atmosphere sound huge to me on them. Like across the room and down the hall big. Wide and tall, yes. But also deep both forward and backward.

Now, again, I’ve only had them for a few hours. Others here have had them for many months. They can probably give more authoritative comments on it than I can.

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #2,424 of 2,778
You can check that easily by focussing on the voice imaging. If the voice in front of you is wider than on a HD600 it is creating artifical width.
Voices on a HD800S (which do have an artificial stage) do image way wider than on a HD600.

I can do some A/B this evening between the HD650 and the EXS. The EXS is presenting vocals dead center and very focused. Imaging/layering seems particularly good on them. As I said above, recordings with lots of ambiance seem to really bloom on them. I was listening to some Bach pipe organ last night and it was especially large and 3D.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #2,425 of 2,778
I can do some A/B this evening between the HD650 and the EXS. The EXS is presenting vocals dead center and very focused. Imaging/layering seems particularly good on them. As I said above, recordings with lots of ambiance seem to really bloom on them. I was listening to some Bach pipe organ last night and it was especially large and 3D.
What equipment have you been running them with on your first listening?

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #2,426 of 2,778
What equipment have you been running them with on your first listening?

Schiit stack. Modi/Magni+ combo. Also my HiBy R6 2020 but in single ended it’s not delivering quite enough power. I have a balanced cable on the way, but honestly, I don’t anticipate using them on the go. I also have a BTR7 (they work well with it, surprisingly.)

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #2,427 of 2,778

HEK v2 is well more technical IMO. Headband is much better. But it requires better source. The XS has a pleasing tuning and not too much detail so it can be run by more modest equipment.

The XS is for SS amps. Its quite different from the HD-600, which is more pure for acoustic recordings, but not for metal.

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #2,428 of 2,778
You can check that easily by focussing on the voice imaging. If the voice in front of you is wider than on a HD600 it is creating artifical width.
Voices on a HD800S (which do have an artificial stage) do image way wider than on a HD600.
Interesting. On what amp do you use to conclude that the 600 has a proper imaging?

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #2,429 of 2,778
Schiit stack. Modi/Magni+ combo. Also my HiBy R6 2020 but in single ended it’s not delivering quite enough power. I have a balanced cable on the way, but honestly, I don’t anticipate using them on the go. I also have a BTR7 (they work well with it, surprisingly.)
They do like power and the more the merrier! But the BTR7 is interesting. I read over on the Hiby RS2 thread that someone said they really liked their XS's straight out of the balanced 4.4mm which puts out 320mW at 32 Ohms. So raw power isn't the whole story synergy-wise.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #2,430 of 2,778
This makes no sense at all. So the HD600 is now the measurement rig for imaging and soundstage and all HPs that sound wider are creating an artificial stage then...

Well, first of all, there's no such thing as an artificial stage. Every headphone presents the music acording to it's tuning and acoustic properties, and the HD800s are far from artificial, they just sound wider than most of other headphones. This includes the HD600 series, which are not known for having the best imaging at soundstage at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back