Jan 3, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #2,341 of 2,784
I'm finding that I need to EQ the EDXS and Amanda SE
Try just 1500Hz, 4dB.
you would be 90% there.
That's for EDXS.
This is mine:
Screenshot_20230103_200708.jpg

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #2,342 of 2,784
I'm a bit late to the game I decided to buy the hifiman XS and still waiting for them.
Just out of curiosity does anyone have the audeze isine 20 and compared them to the hifiman XS? Or maybe compared them to other audeze headphones?

Must say I was really impressed by the openness, bass, warmth, details, imaging and soundstage these audeze isine 20 inear's were giving.
I felt when comparing they sound like "the little brothers" of audeze LCD2/LCD3.

I also have been auditioning couple other expensive can's 4 years ago in London,
The only one that I really liked was the Ananda back then, they also sounded like a step up compared to my isine 20's.
So I'm very curious and exciting now if I will Like hifiman XS as I have been reading previous posts it has a simelar sound signature/capabilities like the Ananda's.
I have both the XS and an LCD-X 2021 in case you're interested in my experience. let me know

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #2,343 of 2,784
I received them 2 hours ago and did my first set of tests and I used equalizer APO combined with my a simple iFi Audio ZEN Air DAC.
I tested them first on my old good soundblaster Z but the poor card couldn't handle them.

My first impression: Boy they sound BIG and immersive, sound came from every direction and I was feeling IN the music for the first time.
Didn't expect the soundstage sounding massive but controlled and realistic at the same time and oh boy the energy!
Going trough my metal playlist, psytrance, trap, hiphop bringing my listening experience on a new level.

Bass sounds extended, like comparing to a big system with a subwoofer depth of bass and impact without bleeding into other frequencies, didn't expect this.
Guess you can drive these badboys where you want it with some Equalizer and a good matched DAC that can handle it.
Mids and highs warm, very resolving open and airy more textured than compared to my Audeze. (I still slightly prefer the meaty mids from Audeze though).

I must say it's the first time I had a hard time to drive these can's with my soundblaster Z soundcard so yes I guess they are indeed semi-hard to drive.
I feel that the XS also like higher volume levels, it's like they asking for more more every time I bump up the volume levels. (While I should be careful because I have tinnitus on my left ear).

@Kentajalli
I agree with you compared to my isine 20's from Audeze, the Audeze sound more mellow/creamy/meaty in the mid and midbass (I still like them though).
Bass sound more rounder/rolled off in the Audeze isine 20's.

When comparing soundstage, the XS sound way bigger though for me they have more impact in bass too, more extended.
The hifiman XS has more textured-ish mid's but still warm in same time and sound extremely balanced, I don't feel missing any instruments while playing some heavy core metal for example.

For me they are comfy I agree but i'm having a big head :wink:
Yes i'm a big fan can't say more for me they sound immersive, energetic and calm/intimate when needed at same time.
I'm glad these can gave me a other way/new experience to listening to my music playlist.

A small sidenote: I played the callisto protocol game with the XS and I think I got scared for the first time in a very long time in a horror game lol.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,344 of 2,784
does anybody know how to unmount part 2 from part 1
is there any trick to do so?

Attachments

• 908DCF45-284B-4CF6-86F9-7F82AA7A2F3B.jpeg
    908DCF45-284B-4CF6-86F9-7F82AA7A2F3B.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #2,345 of 2,784
does anybody know how to unmount part 2 from part 1
is there any trick to do so?
The end plastics on the head-band slide down (towards the yokes) and then you can dismantle the thing.
The end plastics are very tightly pushed up in place and have two catches (locks) on the inside of the narrow sides.
You need a small metal pry-tool, thin enough to slide in on the narrow sides to disengage the catches to be able to slide the end plastics gently down all the way.
I did mine a year ago, so I am going by memory, but 90% sure .
Be careful ! you can damage the thing.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #2,348 of 2,784
Hey everyone 👋🏻

I’m just about to go for Edition XS and in the process of selecting an amp for it. Which in your opinion is a better choice?

1. Schiit Asgard (Will cost me $300 shipped)
2. FiiO K7 + FiiO PL50 Linear Power supply (will cost $310 combined)

I’m not looking for good measurements, just want a warmer sound with good dynamics.

Also, is Edition XS still the best option below $500? 🤔 btw, it’s $370 on AliExpress right now

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #2,349 of 2,784
I power my XS from the balanced output of ZEN CAN - sweet sound :)

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #2,350 of 2,784
I'm curious on how you would compare the two. I'm using the XS right now as my main pair of headphones but was wondering if the lcd-x would be a worthwhile upgrade.
Of course, this whole thing is subjective so take my opinion with a grain of salt. The biggest upgrade if you were to switch to the LCD-X would be build quality, there's no competition, the LCD-X is built like a tank compared to the EXS.

But personally, I do not think the jump in sound is worth the almost 500-600 cost. I listen to mainly EDM/Electropop/Rap and yes, there is an improvement in the bass region, but it's not in quality exactly, its more in dynamics (slam, punch etc.), and even then, its a planar so it's not going to be the best in that category. But yes, there is an improvement in the bass, I'd call it a 10-15% improvement.

The soundstage is a straight-up downgrade, there is something about the Edition XS that makes it so 'musical', whereas I would describe the LCD-X sound as more 'clinical' or 'reference'. So I imagine genre would make a big impact on your decision.

Also, do not underestimate how heavy the LCD-X can get, you can definitely feel it and I could not imagine using them for longer periods at a time.

I hope I do not come off as an Audeze hater/Hifiman fanboy, it's just that I was in your spot a week ago and was kind of let down by the LCD-X coming from the Edition XS. This isn't an 'LCD-X is bad value', this is an 'Edition XS is insane value' post.

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #2,352 of 2,784
Of course, this whole thing is subjective so take my opinion with a grain of salt. The biggest upgrade if you were to switch to the LCD-X would be build quality, there's no competition, the LCD-X is built like a tank compared to the EXS.

But personally, I do not think the jump in sound is worth the almost 500-600 cost. I listen to mainly EDM/Electropop/Rap and yes, there is an improvement in the bass region, but it's not in quality exactly, its more in dynamics (slam, punch etc.), and even then, its a planar so it's not going to be the best in that category. But yes, there is an improvement in the bass, I'd call it a 10-15% improvement.

The soundstage is a straight-up downgrade, there is something about the Edition XS that makes it so 'musical', whereas I would describe the LCD-X sound as more 'clinical' or 'reference'. So I imagine genre would make a big impact on your decision.

Also, do not underestimate how heavy the LCD-X can get, you can definitely feel it and I could not imagine using them for longer periods at a time.

I hope I do not come off as an Audeze hater/Hifiman fanboy, it's just that I was in your spot a week ago and was kind of let down by the LCD-X coming from the Edition XS. This isn't an 'LCD-X is bad value', this is an 'Edition XS is insane value' post.

Nice username :smirk:

Did you sell the EXS? I considered LCD-X as well but I'll have to import that from US and it costs significantly more. I'll just save that cash for some decent dynamic driver headphones that I might get later

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #2,353 of 2,784
Nice username :smirk:
It's a Metal Gear Solid reference, I swear!

Did you sell the EXS?
I have not yet, but I am planning to sell them to a friend at a very discounted cost, to get him into the game, ya know?

Honestly, I really doubt the EXS can be beaten at under $500. The fact it trades blows with the LCD-X which is one of the $1k standards goes to show its value. I straight-up preferred the EXS on some of my tracks. The only issue is build quality, I had to return two pairs back to Amazon before I got a fully working pair, the other two had drivers that would 'buzz' during heavy bass. I would be cautious if I had to buy from somewhere where returns were not possible. Also, I noticed quite a bit of variance in sound between the different EXS's I had. Hifiman QC at this price is really bad, and my standards are already quite low (being a Chifi lover). But if you manage to dodge those bullets, you really can't beat it.

Talking about dynamics, I tested out a couple in the past few weeks and have settled on trying to find a pair of second-hand Denon D9200's, they are amazing and will hopefully be my end-game for a while. I missed a bargain yesterday in the Classifieds section, I'm still crying...

What dynamics are you interested in?

Jan 25, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #2,354 of 2,784

Users who are viewing this thread

Back