Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #2,326 of 2,788
I would like to ask if there is a optimal position for the placement if the XS on your head? Like as the ear cups are so large, I could manage to get a best fit when my ears are located at the lower end of the ear cups. but according to theory, your ear should be placed right at the Center of the diaphragm. Does my weird placement affect soundstage or increase bass(I think it does?) thanks.
If they don't seal right in the middle than its not the best fit. I find I like most cans with my ears against the rear of the cup, with my ears slightly pushed forward, and the headband on the highest part of the top of my head (at a slight rearward angle if viewed from the side) to keep the bottom of the cups and the front of the cups positioned on the side of my face where they seal the best. Works with my HEX v2. But I have a pretty big head.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #2,327 of 2,788
I would like to ask if there is a optimal position for the placement if the XS on your head? Like as the ear cups are so large, I could manage to get a best fit when my ears are located at the lower end of the ear cups. but according to theory, your ear should be placed right at the Center of the diaphragm. Does my weird placement affect soundstage or increase bass(I think it does?) thanks.
I wouldn't chalk it up to weird placement, as much as physical compensations.
Myself, I have a small head (probably small enough that I might not have bought the XS if I had a chance to try em first). I need to adjust them so that my skull dent (sorry for the fancy anatomical talk - basically the part between my eye socket and the top of my ear, where my eyeglass arm would normally be if I wore glasses when listening) gets a good seal. That means I have to keep the earcups high on my head to get the best contact patch (my lobes touch the bottom of the earpads). Any other way and I will get a gap in that temple region and it has be measured that any lack of seal will increase the bass amount.

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #2,328 of 2,788
Is there any sound comparsion Edition XS vs 1000 SE
i could not find anything - thank you

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #2,329 of 2,788
SE is well more technical, and a bit brighter. Did not compare them directly. What do you listen to for music, chain. What cans do you like and not like. If I chose from all long cup HFM's, per my tastes:

Susvara, v2, SE, Arya 3, XS, Ananda SE. The SE, Arya 3 most need treble tuning via EQ.

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #2,330 of 2,788
Great info - thank you

I hear with rme adi-2 pro via ipad - i like airy treble with good bass and clear sound

here is a small mixture of my songs http://open.qobuz.com/playlist/12820197
actual, i hear this song

i like L700, Clear, TH900, K812, RR1 - for each song a specific hp 🤪
i do not like HD800 because of the piercing trebles

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #2,331 of 2,788
I heard them both, side by side at CanJam London this year.
The HE1000SE is smoother, more balanced and less distorted, for sure, but the XS was no slouch either.
Consider the price difference, the XS was the champion of the day!
If you think, the XS would sound like a "transistor radio" compared to HE1000SE being a HiFi. you are mistaken! The 1000SE is better by 20 to 25%. no more.
Frankly, and praising my own work! ( 🧐) , my own slightly modified EDXS (I had it with me together with my Hugo2), was half way between a factory XS and the 1000SE.
The XS and 1000SE are not night and day to each other.
Of all the Hifiman range, I dare to say that the XS has the highest value for money, next to it is Sundara.

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #2,332 of 2,788
The HE1000SE is smoother, more balanced and less distorted, for sure, but the XS was no slouch either.
If you think, the XS would sound like a "transistor radio" compared to HE1000SE being a HiFi. you are mistaken! The 1000SE is better by 20 to 25%. no more.
Frankly, and praising my own work! ( 🧐) , my own slightly modified EDXS (I had it with me together with my Hugo2), was half way between a factory XS and the 1000SE.
Of all the Hifiman range, I dare to say that the XS has the highest value for money, next to it is Sundara.
Interesting. I sold my EDXS as soon as I heard the Ananda Stealth

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #2,333 of 2,788
I wouldn't chalk it up to weird placement, as much as physical compensations.
Myself, I have a small head (probably small enough that I might not have bought the XS if I had a chance to try em first). I need to adjust them so that my skull dent (sorry for the fancy anatomical talk - basically the part between my eye socket and the top of my ear, where my eyeglass arm would normally be if I wore glasses when listening) gets a good seal. That means I have to keep the earcups high on my head to get the best contact patch (my lobes touch the bottom of the earpads). Any other way and I will get a gap in that temple region and it has be measured that any lack of seal will increase the bass amount.
Do not fret my friend, there is an easy cure for your hifi issues.
It is called, Doner Kebab!
A daily large portion, washed down with two cans of coke, would increase the size of your head, fatten it up to a more cushioned round figure.
After a month or so (if you survive!) your EDXS would sit on your head a lot better, making a better seal. so you can enjoy the deep sub-bass you were always after.
Problem solved!
:beerchug:

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,334 of 2,788
Interesting. I sold my EDXS as soon as I heard the Ananda Stealth
And yet most people say, the Ananda and EDXS are side by side.
Which I agree with that, as I also heard it at CanJam. I only had 10 or 15 minutes with it, but it was enough to confirm the rumour.
Ananda sound better is certain areas, and EDxs is some other. The selling point of Ananda is in its efficiency! which is pretty good.
Since it costs a little more than the EDXS, I still say it is better value, but if one does not have enough power, then Ananda it is, can't go wrong.
Ananda is 27 ohm 103dB for one milliwatt, while EDXS is 18 ohms at 92dB for one milliwatt.
If the amp can give a very good output at 200mW , then the Ananda at 27 ohms, will sound a lot better than an EDXS with the same amp, trying (but failing badly) to deliver 1W to EDXS for similar loudness.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #2,335 of 2,788
Which I agree with that, as I also heard it at CanJam. I only had 10 or 15 minutes with it, but it was enough to confirm the rumour.
Ananda sound better is certain areas, and EDxs is some other. The selling point of Ananda is in its efficiency! which is pretty good.
Since it costs a little more than the EDXS, I still say it is better value, but if one does not have enough power, then Ananda it is, can't go wrong.
They are, but not the Ananda Stealth, yes I've seen plenty of comparisons with the standard Amanda, and indeed I sold my Ananda and kept the XS.

But the Stealth is a upgrade, well it is for me, and tbh I've not seen any comparisons with the XS.

Tbh the Ananda makes no sense, the XS is so much more for the money.

Just not the Ananda Stealth, it's superb . YMMV
Ananda is 27 ohm 103dB for one milliwatt, while EDXS is 18 ohms at 92dB for one milliwatt.
They are, but not the Ananda Stealth imo. Yes I've also seen plenty of comparisons with the standard Ananda, and indeed I sold my Ananda and kept the XS.

Then heard the Ananda Stealth, it never ends .

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #2,336 of 2,788
What
slightly modified EDXS
do you mean?
what did you modify?

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #2,338 of 2,788
I'm a bit late to the game I decided to buy the hifiman XS and still waiting for them.
Just out of curiosity does anyone have the audeze isine 20 and compared them to the hifiman XS? Or maybe compared them to other audeze headphones?

Must say I was really impressed by the openness, bass, warmth, details, imaging and soundstage these audeze isine 20 inear's were giving.
I felt when comparing they sound like "the little brothers" of audeze LCD2/LCD3.

I also have been auditioning couple other expensive can's 4 years ago in London,
The only one that I really liked was the Ananda back then, they also sounded like a step up compared to my isine 20's.
So I'm very curious and exciting now if I will Like hifiman XS as I have been reading previous posts it has a simelar sound signature/capabilities like the Ananda's.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #2,339 of 2,788
I'm a bit late to the game I decided to buy the hifiman XS and still waiting for them./~
Just out of curiosity does anyone have the audeze isine 20 and compared them to the hifiman XS? Or maybe compared them to other audeze headphones?
Must say I was really impressed by the openness, bass, warmth, details, imaging and soundstage these audeze isine 20 inear's were giving.
I felt when comparing they sound like "the little brothers" of audeze LCD2/LCD3.
I have the LCD-XC 2021. But beware, the XC 21 is not a representative of typical audeze staple sound
The XC has a sharper, snappier sound, even compared to LCD-X or the new MM-500.
The EDXS has a more rounded / softer sound. I am not referring to brightness. Sharp sounds, like a rattle, or the pluck on a classical guitar has more bite to it on XC-21.
Also, generally the XC-21 has more resolution. Don't forget, it also costs three times as much.
On the other hand, the EDXS has more bass and sub bass. It has a thicker lower mid (better) that gives body to male vocals, violas etc. The stereo image is more expansive, in a diffused way (not accurate ) that can be sometimes appealing.
I still love my EDXS, and can not bring myself to selling it.
On comfort, EDXS is king! It is much lighter, larger, so that it engulfs my ears whole, no sweating, no pressure - something the XC-21 sucks at!
the XC-21 is heavy, bulky, sweaty and despite having large ear cups, it has smaller square ear openings, that are too small for my ears, and because they are square, it means there is only one angle possible to wear them on your head! if you move the headband forward on your head, the cups start touching your ears
Not a fair comparison, in UK we are talking £400 and £1300.
Open back vs closed back.
But both headphones are exceptional.
I also have been auditioning couple other expensive can's 4 years ago in London,
The only one that I really liked was the Ananda back then, they also sounded like a step up compared to my isine 20's.
So I'm very curious and exciting now if I will Like hifiman XS as I have been reading previous posts it has a simelar sound signature/capabilities like the Ananda's.
Ananda and EDXS are similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back