Hifiman Edition XS Launched
May 5, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #1,666 of 2,784
Unfortunately have to send my headphones back to Amazon, after about 10 hours of listening the left head adjustment is so loose that it opens itself by only the weight from the ear cup, the build quality is under all criticism, I have owned headphones that have better build quality than these for 50 dollars, as the situation feels now, I do not dare chance to get a better copy, the build quality is what it is, I feel very sad about this as the sound quality is really top class 😞

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #1,667 of 2,784
Unfortunately have to send my headphones back to Amazon, after about 10 hours of listening the left head adjustment is so loose that it opens itself by only the weight from the ear cup, the build quality is under all criticism, I have owned headphones that have better build quality than these for 50 dollars, as the situation feels now, I do not dare chance to get a better copy, the build quality is what it is, I feel very sad about this as the sound quality is really top class 😞
Sorry to hear that. Would you please kindly email us at customerservice@hifiman.com with your order details, our support team may be able to replace the headphones for you.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 5, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #1,669 of 2,784
About to sit 'n relax enjoying tunes and doing some XS rolling.

qiydoA7.jpg

Hmmm, also to try some flavor tamers. (filters)..giggle....

EAdmPFc.jpg
Interested in learning your findings!

May 5, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #1,671 of 2,784
Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,673 of 2,784
Just finished this excessive cable, now the Edition XS can enjoy an SW-XSive (giggles) cable to match.

fnIJk2c.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,674 of 2,784
Sorry to hear that. Would you please kindly email us at customerservice@hifiman.com with your order details, our support team may be able to replace the headphones for you.

I've also had problems with the Hifiman Edition XS I bought last month. Apparently in the right speaker there is something that resonates and should not do it. This causes an audible reverberation in practically all frequencies, being very present in low frequencies. It could be a minor problem (maybe a loose screw, the internal cable rubbing against the speaker wall, something badly fitted.... but it is true that it is something that with a strict QC this problem should not occur in a product already on sale.

Tomorrow they come to pick them up to take them to the technical service to see what happens to them. It's a shame that the good sound quality these headphones produce is tainted by details like these. Below I attach several videos where I compare the response of each headset of the hifiman edition XS with the Sennheiser HD650. The DAC used has been an ADI-2 DAC and the microphone used has been one of acoustic measurement with a Scarlet Focusrite. It is easy to see the problem of parasitic reverb due to something vibrating on the right speaker of the hifiman edition XS.

You can download test files here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/epoagjnvheefgsc/AAB0PHMnDl_1UwjJPl1K0-Jza?dl=0

May 9, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #1,675 of 2,784
I was really impressed by the sound of these. They are very light, the top headband is comfy, the cushions are long and wide and they were running from a very basic (relatively speaking to the show floor) amp stack and they sounded great. Detailed and natural. I liked them so much that I might buy them, even though I have a few open headphones already. But they are priced so well that I find it a really good deal.

May 12, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #1,677 of 2,784
Anyone have any advice on improving comfort? I've tried different headband pads but the real issue is that the lack of clamping force causes the entire headphones weight to rest on the headband and as a result it causes quite a bit of pain after 20-30 minutes. The Arya in comparison has the perfect balance of clamp and weight distribution between the pads and headband strap.

May 12, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #1,678 of 2,784
^ Indeed they are very loose! I usually use maximum adjustment on my headphones but I could use the XS without extending it at all (or very little).

The XS have massive pads with plenty of padding on the headband but they can still cause a pressure spot on top of the head.

I also have the Sundara (2020) and I find the head strap more comfortable but of course they clamp the sides of the head quite a bit but I have got used to it. I also use the Sundara at maximum extension.

BTW, I still have not decided which I prefer between the Sundara and the XS. I reckon that anyone who has the Sundara and likes it should just stick with it and just fight off the urge to upgrade. :darthsmile:

May 12, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #1,679 of 2,784
Anyone have any advice on improving comfort? I've tried different headband pads but the real issue is that the lack of clamping force causes the entire headphones weight to rest on the headband and as a result it causes quite a bit of pain after 20-30 minutes. The Arya in comparison has the perfect balance of clamp and weight distribution between the pads and headband strap.
I'm hearing you with the discomfort of this headband. It sux. I get the same painful experience with the 400SE and 560v4 as well but also having the HE35x with the suspension style headband which feels like there is nothing on your head, I knew I was going to have to try something with the XS.

So I did a variation of the mod by @Kentajalli

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-edition-xs-mods.961413/post-16749279

Instead of using double-sided tape and tucking the leather into the band, I used elastic hairbands on the ends of the leather strap and affixed with strips of hook/loop tape. This gives me a bit of elasticity and I can adjust the tension by moving the hook/loop tape up or down the hairbands :).

20220512_161103.jpg
20220512_161112.jpg

May 12, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #1,680 of 2,784
Non angled memory foam pads from @NtraX helped a lot in the clamp consistency on both these and my HE1000se. I really don't like angled pads on egg shaped hifimans and finally having an option to get away from angled pads really changed my whole idea of comfort on them. I thought I was stuck for like 5 years but it's finally a possibility and if you upgrade to a higher tier egg can it swaps right over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back