Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,561 of 2,784
I think it's just that an amps' balanced output has more power and in some cases, depending on the design, sounds better. iFi basically made that explicit, that their SE output is an afterthought and the balanced will sound obviously better. That's not necessarily the case with every amp. I found, using my NightOwl in unbalanced and balanced mode with the iFi Zen DAC, that it was louder and the soundstage was wider using balanced.

Apr 7, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #1,562 of 2,784
I think it's just that an amps' balanced output has more power and in some cases, depending on the design, sounds better. iFi basically made that explicit, that their SE output is an afterthought and the balanced will sound obviously better. That's not necessarily the case with every amp. I found, using my NightOwl in unbalanced and balanced mode with the iFi Zen DAC, that it was louder and the soundstage was wider using balanced.
Hmm, interesting.
I was considering the EF400 but I'm still not sure yet.

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,563 of 2,784
Balanced done correctly has a lower noise floor than SE. In many cases it puts out more power with a lower impedance ( better) than SE. Haven't had a non balanced amp since the 99's cept my BHCs for high a cans.

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,564 of 2,784
Can someone explain how listening to the XS fully balanced (or any headphones in general) would be beneficial to a noob like me?
I currently use single-ended on an Asgard 3.

I was under the impression that balanced just reduces noise in the audio signal, but with short headphone cables and my current setup, there is no audible noise.
I tried looking this information up, but people where going into things that I wasn't really comprehending.
When you say “balanced just reduces noise in the audio signal” is mostly referring to long mic cable runs and balanced amps are something different.
Do you need balanced simple answer No. A lot of my gear is balanced so yes I use it. One big reason for balanced is most of the time on amps is that it is twice the power over single ended and having some fairly inefficient planars that does help in driving them. The XS is not that hard to drive and your Asgard 3 has plenty of power for them.

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #1,565 of 2,784
When you say “balanced just reduces noise in the audio signal” is mostly referring to long mic cable runs and balanced amps are something different.
Do you need balanced simple answer No. A lot of my gear is balanced so yes I use it. One big reason for balanced is most of the time on amps is that it is twice the power over single ended and having some fairly inefficient planars that does help in driving them. The XS is not that hard to drive and your Asgard 3 has plenty of power for them.
So when the Asgard 3 says:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 3.5W RMS per channel

And Hifiman EF400 says:
Maximum Power Output: 4.4W per channel (on balanced)

The Asgard is supplying more power?
Or am I missing something because of no ohm rating on the EF400?

Any reason why the EF400 would sound better?

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #1,566 of 2,784
So when the Asgard 3 says:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 3.5W RMS per channel

And Hifiman EF400 says:
Maximum Power Output: 4.4W per channel (on balanced)

The Asgard is supplying more power?
Or am I missing something because of no ohm rating on the EF400?

Any reason why the EF400 would sound better?
What is missing, from Hifiman spec. sheet, is at what impedance it gives out 4.4W ??
As you can see max. power changes with impedance (see Asgard proper spec. sheet).
At any rate, for EDXS, you need no more than a Watt max. unless you intend on equipment and or ear damage!
But since EDXS is a revelaing/transparent headphone, then it requires the cleanest of Watts.
On a similar question on ASR, they were talking about needing a Zen Can amp or more, because EDXS thrives on power 🧐.
Cut the long story short, it got shown that the Zen dispite having 1.6W output, but that output was only clean up tp 0.1W max (infact it was really 0.02W).
So those numbers are meaningless on their own.

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #1,567 of 2,784
Yes, different things, noise is not the issue here. eventhough balanced headphone outputs can actually be noisier!
Do you need balanced simple answer No.
Yes, I meant correct, I agree.
A lot of my gear is balanced so yes I use it. One big reason for balanced is most of the time on amps is that it is twice the power over single ended
Actually it is Four times the power (twice the voltage swing)
and having some fairly inefficient planars that does help in driving them. The XS is not that hard to drive and your Asgard 3 has plenty of power for them.
Yes absolutely.
0.5W to 1W of good clean power is all one needs.

Some Dacs are designed in balanced mode from ground up, so to give SE output, the internal output of the DAC is either summed up, or half gets switched off to save power consumption. Look at ifi stuff, the battery lasts longer in SE mode, because half of the DAC section gets switched off!
However, to get high output from an amp (not the DAC side) one needs large output voltage (and low output impedance). If the amp is battery operated, the max. voltage will be that of the battery.
Unless you go balanced! it means you use that battery voltage twice - once in each half of the balanced amp.
So from a 4V battery, one can get 8V voltage swing, which means you get 4 times as much power out as you would do with mere 4V, this is desired!
Also, using two DAC chips working opposite each other, some of their distortion artifacts (even ones) can cancel out, reducing total distortion.
The negative is, that noise floors double up (usually not a big-e) and output impedance doubles up too (a big-e).

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,568 of 2,784
Can someone explain how listening to the XS fully balanced (or any headphones in general) would be beneficial to a noob like me?
I currently use single-ended on an Asgard 3.

I was under the impression that balanced just reduces noise in the audio signal, but with short headphone cables and my current setup, there is no audible noise.
I tried looking this information up, but people where going into things that I wasn't really comprehending.
A simple way of looking at it is in a single ended hook up the signal goes in the + then out the - to ground , with balanced a signal is pushed in both directions one into the + as normal but then an inverted signal into the - . So the driver is actively pushed and pulled and the left and right channels no longer share a ground .
It is confusing because balanced interconnect and balanced drive are different things sharing the same method . Noise reduction is not really a factor in balanced drive in fact because balanced drive often employs separate amplifiers for the + and - signals the noise can be increased but you get double the power .

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #1,569 of 2,784
Just to confuse things even more there is push pull amp topology which also uses an inverted signal and is sometimes referred to as balanced although generally both the input and output are single ended .

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,570 of 2,784
Look at ifi stuff, the battery lasts longer in SE mode, because half of the DAC section gets switched off!

I'm not in 100% sure and I'd have to ask internally whether we sum or switch of our circuits, but is there any specific DAC of ours we're discussing here?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 10, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,571 of 2,784
I should be joining the XS club during the week and I will compare it to the Sundara, which I got earlier last week.

I had the Sundara when it came out back in March 2018 but I found it uncomfortable due to shorter head strap, which has since been lengthened in the newer version. The pads in the newer version seem to be nicer than the older. The sound seems to be better but I have newer and more powerful gear to drive the Sundara better.

I reckon that the Sundara is very nice sounding and a bit of a bargain at 300 Pounds! It does vocals very well and I will compare that aspect to the XS.

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #1,572 of 2,784
I should be joining the XS club during the week and I will compare it to the Sundara, which I got earlier last week.

I had the Sundara when it came out back in March 2018 but I found it uncomfortable due to shorter head strap, which has since been lengthened in the newer version. The pads in the newer version seem to be nicer than the older. The sound seems to be better but I have newer and more powerful gear to drive the Sundara better.

I reckon that the Sundara is very nice sounding and a bit of a bargain at 300 Pounds! It does vocals very well and I will compare that aspect to the XS.
Better late than never, LM!
I really should dig my 400i out and make a feeble attempt at a comparison too - I'm really not good at that sort of thing

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,573 of 2,784
I'm not in 100% sure and I'd have to ask internally whether we sum or switch of our circuits, but is there any specific DAC of ours we're discussing here?
You are correct, Not ifi but Fiio! my mistake! (Phew :sunglasses:) I was talking about Fiio BTR5.
BTR5 in SE mode had a longer battery life when I had it (and I believe it is quoted in specs.)
Before anybody tries to point to the fact that on balanced mode there is more power, I need to say, at same power out levels, battery lasts longer in SE mode.
Since this model, uses a DAC chip with an amp onboard (Uses two stereo DAC/amp chips), I am fairly certain one of them get switched off as they woundn't be needed in SE mode.
Thanx

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #1,575 of 2,784
I am a happy owner of the Sundara. I would not mind upgrading to the XS. What kind of upgrade to expect?
Hopefully others will chime in also!

I reckon that if you are happy with the Sundara, then stick with it and maybe look at improving your other gear if required.

I have both and reckon that the XS is more of a side-grade with a different tuning, which could be largely due to the different driver shape and pads shapes as well as sizes.

I just got the XS yesterday and need more time to form my impressions.

Perhaps you could post some favorite pieces of music that you like, and then we can give our views between the two headphones?

Also, what gear that you are driving them with, this would be helpful as we might be able to suggest other ways of improving your sound?

So far, I find the Sundara to be more incisive and the XS sometimes has a bit of a bass bleed effect on the mids and highs, but a lot depends on the music being played.

I probably like vocals better on the Sundara.

Both are good and I reckon that opinions will be divided as to which is better! :darthsmile:

I will only keep the one that I like best, as I try not to be a headphone collector! :ksc75smile:

I will try to explain more of my views over the weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back