Hifiman Edition X
Sep 11, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #3,992 of 4,030
also , just a fun check

who else here is still using HEX V2? do you still like it?
Yes! But my pair is stuck in my firm's office (my mainstay in my office setup, the only headphone there) and I've been working from home since middle of March. :disappointed:

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3,993 of 4,030
also , just a fun check

who else here is still using HEX V2? do you still like it?

Yup 100% HEX v2 the past 4 days as I prepare to sell them. They really need EQ and a capable cable - then they really open up and stomp the Ananda and a bunch of others. Would never sell them but for desire for Susvara

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #3,994 of 4,030
Yup 100% HEX v2 the past 4 days as I prepare to sell them. They really need EQ and a capable cable - then they really open up and stomp the Ananda and a bunch of others. Would never sell them but for desire for Susvara
I'm using stock cable at the moment but you opened up this idea neatly. I shall try and pair my V2 with other cables next time i'm at an audio store or an offline/event.

Hope you'll get your Susvara soon, i think it's one of few dream/TOTL headphones for most people :D

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,995 of 4,030
I've spent a lot of time on my HE-500 and HE-6se v1 the past few years. Mods, EQ, EQ of ringing areas, etc, but I didn;t really update the HEX v2.

Here is a much better EQ than what I've put here in the past:

38 Hz +1.7 db 1.00 Q Low Shelf 2
95 Hz +1.2 db 2.00 Q " "
455 Hz -1.1 db 0.40 Q Digital bell 2
1829 Hz +3.4 db 3.40 Q
4240 Hz -3.6 db 8.00 Q "
5500 Hz +4.0 db 9.00 Q "
8100 Hz -3.6 db 8.90 Q
11020 Hz +4.4 db 1.20 Q High Shelf 2

Try Ronstadt "Prisoner in Disguise" Side 1, a lot of that hash/haze in her voice gone because of 4.2k and 8.1k settings

Other stuff: new cables, stock bot good. I bought mine used with an Arctic Cardas. Later added a Ted silver litz which did seem to brighten the highs a bit.

Cups should be forward touching your ears, then twist head piece forward to crown of your head - that works for me. Play around, its important.

They are revealing, open, and clean - however in the treble there is missing detail EQ won't fix it. Bass can be enhanced a bit but it doesn't have slam much like the Ananda.

There is much it does at a top level and only a few things its short of. Originally priced too high, with the XS coming on, the used price might drop to $500 range. I was going to sell it, but its just too good.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #3,997 of 4,030
Changes. A friend has the XS - says with the HEX v2, HE-500, and HE-6SE v1 in hand I won't find a place for the XS. Too bad he's in Concord CA...

Also heard an estat amp for cheapish money than drives a Voce. Maybe that takes over for the Susvara, or maybe the LCD-5 will.

For now the HEX stays.

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #3,998 of 4,030
I've learned more. You cannot get the rear screen off unless you disassemble from the front. They are metal and ring in a number of modes. Can't coat the driver side bars with felt/glue strip - it won't cut correctly, and the benefit small at best. So with the age of these and the XS - the market on these is sinking. I'm ready to do irreversible mods for better sound. IMO, the screens go (they already did). Make up for the lost height from removing the screen and thin gasket with blue tack.

The driver body has this nice fabric material well attached that and stators is mote than enough protection.

Attachments

• 20220212_213154_HDR.jpg
    20220212_213154_HDR.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #3,999 of 4,030
The next issue is the internal wiring. I was very careful and still one pulled off. It's probably 28 GA which is very thin.

I'm taking the tips off of my Ted Allen silver platated cable. Testing that to fix which is what. Pulling cable through hole, attach the Allen wires (guess 22 or 24 ga). Close it up and test.

Edit add: silver plate and Litz? May take a lot longer to solder which is a danger. Pause.

Attachments

• 20220211_210358.jpg
    20220211_210358.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #4,000 of 4,030
I've learned more. You cannot get the rear screen off unless you disassemble from the front. They are metal and ring in a number of modes. Can't coat the driver side bars with felt/glue strip - it won't cut correctly, and the benefit small at best. So with the age of these and the XS - the market on these is sinking. I'm ready to do irreversible mods for better sound. IMO, the screens go (they already did). Make up for the lost height from removing the screen and thin gasket with blue tack.

The driver body has this nice fabric material well attached that and stators is mote than enough protection.
What is it that you are addressing? And when you say the screens go, do you mean they break down?

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #4,001 of 4,030
The next issue is the internal wiring. I was very careful and one pulled off. It's probably 28 GA which is very thin.

What is it that you are addressing? And when you say the screens go, do you mean they break down?
Basically I decided I can't sell mine anymore given the arrival of the XS, their age, and reputation for systemic failures.

I've done lots of work on the HFM round cups but outside of pads, cable, nuggets and EQ I never opened my HEX up - even after a poster said the inner cables are flimsy and sound like crap. But I just wasn't interested enough to do it.

Well they apart and this is What I see:

* the rear silver screens are very nice looking but ring - when you drop them 5", when you ping them with your finger, etc. I don't think there will much ringing at higher frequncies. But I bet lower frequencies make 'em rattle so it's either remove them or get to some sound deadner in there.

They are built much nicer than any round cup HFM from a construction POV. With two caveats: the internal wire is very small - 28 GA? and barely attached to the drivers. The other issue is the way the front and back of the driver are held together with fairly hefty screws and nuts - that are not lightweight, are magnetic, and look like dead ringers for the ones in the round cup models. I think nylon type hardware or a glue whose bond can be defeated easily is the way to go.

IMO there is no risk in taking off the rear screen - if you account for the delicacy of the wires and the looks going down the drain. The black mesh protecting the outpacing side is anchored very well. Then there is a complex network of stators covering about 80% of the Mylar. Basically unless you have finger tips that have needles on them forget danger of damaging the mylar.

Next I'm removing a screw/nut combo and studying what's the best move on that front.

More later

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #4,002 of 4,030
Has it been established that the XS sound even as good as the HEX V2 (I assume it is the V2 HEX that you have)? I wish that I had never sold my HEX V2. It was fantastic, but I had started into speaker listening more than headphones and liquidated much of my collection to fund the purchase of two SVS SB2000 Pro subs. Great addition to support my speakers, but in the ideal world I would have been able to afford to keep my headphones. Oh well, sometimes in life you have to make choices. The HEX V2 were really engaging and I loved their staging capabilities.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #4,003 of 4,030
Has it been established that the XS sound even as good as the HEX V2 (I assume it is the V2 HEX that you have)? I wish that I had never sold my HEX V2. It was fantastic, but I had started into speaker listening more than headphones and liquidated much of my collection to fund the purchase of two SVS SB2000 Pro subs. Great addition to support my speakers, but in the ideal world I would have been able to afford to keep my headphones. Oh well, sometimes in life you have to make choices. The HEX V2 were really engaging and I loved their staging capabilities.

Has it been established that the XS sound even as good as the HEX V2 (I assume it is the V2 HEX that you have)?
Not sure but the new cheaper model will draw attention. Oh yes I have the HEX v2, we've talked about them
I wish that I had never sold my HEX V2. It was fantastic, but I had started into speaker listening more than headphones and liquidated much of my collection to fund the purchase of two SVS SB2000 Pro subs. Great addition to support my speakers, but in the ideal world I would have been able to afford to keep my headphones. Oh well, sometimes in life you have to make choices. The HEX V2 were really engaging and I loved their staging capabilities.
They do many things very well, but as a natural born critic I always look for ways to fix or mitigate them.

1. Treble overall lacks detail and is a bit soft with a slight descending character. Exact ear position, nuggets, better cable has helped that some. I've got my parametric EQ cutting down ringing which makes them more pleasing but I will have to raise all of treble a bit to keep from going "easy listening".

2. Bass is clean, goes deep, is fast. But lacks visceral impact. I've rigged my EQ to add a bit of volume, but nothing crazy. Cleaning up vibrations here may allow a bit more bass to be added and still have a nice Q.

3. Overall the soundstage is tall and not quite correct. No action here.

4. Dynamic range a bit short. Probably nothing to be done. Maybe going from a LG v40 streamer to a ifi streamer (month or two) may help.

5. I also hate the 2.5 mm connectors. So I wire in direct to the drivers and pitch the wires, junction.box. Or change to a 3.5 mm box (may have to dig into the pads to do it) and keep the wires....?

Added: forget nylon screws. The through screws are custom and very narrow. Couldn't match them for special order. The short ones are tied the protective fabric screen...

I am still scared to solder cables on the drivers. I've seen the inner cable on the 5LE and 5SE - and they were 24 GA. This thing is like floss

fellow poster is sending me a 500 to mod. That'll keep my mind from the solder job for a few more days.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #4,004 of 4,030
5. I also hate the 2.5 mm connectors. So I wire in direct to the drivers and pitch the wires, junction.box. Or change to a 3.5 mm box (may have to dig into the pads to do it) and keep the wires....?

Ever considered these? I used these to seamlessly switch my Forza cable with 3.5mm connectors between my HEX V2 and Arya
€9 on Amazon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-210446_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220306-210446_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #4,005 of 4,030
Ever considered these? I used these to seamlessly switch my Forza cable with 3.5mm connectors between my HEX V2 and Arya
€9 on Amazon
It's an idea. Doing a straight solder in with premium wires is sort of too much.

Right now I'm finishing mods on a pair of HE-500 for a fellow HF'er. Later in week full speed on the HEX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back