Hifiman Edition X
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #4,006 of 4,030
Still quite happy with my HEX V2. The fact that they are a little bit less revealing than the Ananda and have a sightly more developed low-end makes gives them a tad more musicality and warmth than the Ananda. Comparable to the difference between your average DS DAC and a slightly warmer and more analog sounding R-2R DAC 😁...

Note: even if it is as sensitive as the Ananda, the HEX does improve with a bit of additional amplification.. The Hiby R8 offers Turbo Mode which makes the HEX sing..

Not sure about the difference between the V2 and XS though, haven't heard the latter yet. But I am a bit worried about the headband of the XS. The V2 fits like a glove..

Apr 24, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #4,007 of 4,030
Still quite happy with my HEX V2. The fact that they are a little bit less revealing than the Ananda and have a sightly more developed low-end makes gives them a tad more musicality and warmth than the Ananda. Comparable to the difference between your average DS DAC and a slightly warmer and more analog sounding R-2R DAC 😁...

Note: even if it is as sensitive as the Ananda, the HEX does improve with a bit of additional amplification.. The Hiby R8 offers Turbo Mode which makes the HEX sing..

Not sure about the difference between the V2 and XS though, haven't heard the latter yet. But I am a bit worried about the headband of the XS. The V2 fits like a glove..
I can confirm that the XS headband is junk vs the HEX v2

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #4,008 of 4,030
I can confirm that the XS headband is junk vs the HEX v2
I thought the same too, when I saw the XS and all the rest that use that headband! I have the original Edition X and I've only just replaced the hammack and ear pads. Is the Sundara headband any good? I've not used any of those.

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #4,009 of 4,030
I thought the same too, when I saw the XS and all the rest that use that headband! I have the original Edition X and I've only just replaced the hammack and ear pads. Is the Sundara headband any good? I've not used any of those.
Not sure on Sundara. The 4xx band isn't bad, I use it for my 500's.

I really like the HEX v2 band

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #4,010 of 4,030
Edition X and Fiio KA3. The combo works and was pretty enjoyable using the Fiios 4,4mm balanced out which have more power than the 3,5mm. But the magic and authority from Edition X driven by a bigger amp like a tube hybrid was not there.

Fiio_KA3_Hifiman_Edition_X.jpg

May 3, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #4,011 of 4,030
There predictably would be no benefit to more power because there is no actual reason more power could be beneficial. As long as the amplifier being used was adequately designed so as to be audibly transparent to the user, not very hard to do these days, and it has enough power for the dynamic peaks in the music, the amplifier would be fine. Having extra unused power does NOT provide any benefit at all. It can't, there is no reason on earth that unused power reserve could have any effect on the sound. That is another lovely audio myth floated about like truth.

The ONLY power that matters is the power that is used, that power is converted into musical signals that your brain then interprets. The other power not involved in that process means nothing to your brain, how could it?

May 22, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #4,012 of 4,030
An Edition X in beautiful condition just came up on my local used marketplace. They're asking about $315USD, but I could probably get it for less than $300.

Looking for advice here. Edition XS and Ananada frequently come up for only about 10 to 20% more than this. Would you wait for one of those or grab the X, which almost never appears for sale, especially in such nice condition.

And, will my Mojo 2 drive it ok? Pretty sure it will, and I'm aware of the usual "mo power, mo better." But I'm not getting a new amp.

Edit: Ok, after reading through a bit of this thread, I see the the Mojo 2 will be more than adequate. Would still appreciate some thoughts on this can v. Ananda / EDX. Thanks.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #4,013 of 4,030
An Edition X in beautiful condition just came up on my local used marketplace. They're asking about $315USD, but I could probably get it for less than $300.

Looking for advice here. Edition XS and Ananada frequently come up for only about 10 to 20% more than this. Would you wait for one of those or grab the X, which almost never appears for sale, especially in such nice condition.

And, will my Mojo 2 drive it ok? Pretty sure it will, and I'm aware of the usual "mo power, mo better." But I'm not getting a new amp.

Edit: Ok, after reading through a bit of this thread, I see the the Mojo 2 will be more than adequate. Would still appreciate some thoughts on this can v. Ananda / EDX. Thanks.
No one?

Jun 19, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #4,014 of 4,030
There predictably would be no benefit to more power because there is no actual reason more power could be beneficial. As long as the amplifier being used was adequately designed so as to be audibly transparent to the user, not very hard to do these days, and it has enough power for the dynamic peaks in the music, the amplifier would be fine. Having extra unused power does NOT provide any benefit at all. It can't, there is no reason on earth that unused power reserve could have any effect on the sound. That is another lovely audio myth floated about like truth.

The ONLY power that matters is the power that is used, that power is converted into musical signals that your brain then interprets. The other power not involved in that process means nothing to your brain, how could it?
Well given the way you laid it out - yeah.

But what if you are at the edge of the amps rating? Distortion, THD, TIM, damping factor may be changing for the worse. If so, could be audible.

What if you have a 2 wpc @ 50 ohms amp and one at 12 wpc @ 50 ohms. Same maker. Diff input impedance. Diff filter caps. Low volume listening, all the other basic distortion readings the same.

Planars have low impedance and some dynamics have very high ones. Certainly OTL amps suck on low, and other less obvious behaviors are out there among other amps.

I'm sure other scenarios can be cooked up.

I think an amp that puts out 50 wpc into 50 ohms is overkill and also a threat to the 6's health due to transients with the volume up full. Also people are apt to see such an amp than a 2 wpc job. But I can't dismiss every suggested / perceived advantage as a figment. I haven't tested near enough in this area.

I get 10 wpc at 50 ohms. It's enough to drive the 6 in gain 2 at 2:30ish o'clock on my Rag 1 out of the 4 pin out.

Jun 19, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #4,015 of 4,030

I'd buy it. If you have 4-N cans it's different enough to be a nice option.

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #4,017 of 4,030
Well given the way you laid it out - yeah.

But what if you are at the edge of the amps rating? Distortion, THD, TIM, damping factor may be changing for the worse. If so, could be audible.

What if you have a 2 wpc @ 50 ohms amp and one at 12 wpc @ 50 ohms. Same maker. Diff input impedance. Diff filter caps. Low volume listening, all the other basic distortion readings the same.

Planars have low impedance and some dynamics have very high ones. Certainly OTL amps suck on low, and other less obvious behaviors are out there among other amps.

I'm sure other scenarios can be cooked up.

I think an amp that puts out 50 wpc into 50 ohms is overkill and also a threat to the 6's health due to transients with the volume up full. Also people are apt to see such an amp than a 2 wpc job. But I can't dismiss every suggested / perceived advantage as a figment. I haven't tested near enough in this area.

I get 10 wpc at 50 ohms. It's enough to drive the 6 in gain 2 at 2:30ish o'clock on my Rag 1 out of the 4 pin out.
If you were on the edge of the amps rating, but not going over into clipping any possible negative effects on the sound should be close to zero. However, you are absolutely touching on a very real consideration. Enough clean power will always be enough clean power, and as long as there is clean power to handle the dynamic peaks being asked by the music, even if one is at the end of the volume control, again, if the power remains clean and the amp can remain stable delivering it, no problem.

I am not saying that people shouldn't purchase a little more power than they need, not at all. I am only trying to challenge the notion that the unused power sitting as stored energy potential can cause the sound to be better by virtue of it's existence. Different loads require more power, or can be more variable throughout the frequency range where the power needed to reach a certain SPL is not linear. Higher frequencies take more power to reproduce the wave and you will have variability in how the driver and enclosure design impact such things.

Anyway, there is no reason to not buy as much power as you can reasonably afford. New amps are providing more and better quality power (when designed correctly) for less money than was ever the case before. The days of needing those $500 plus dedicated amps are 100% over for the VAST majority of users. You can get audibly transparent, powerful headphone amps that can handle pretty demanding loads for $300 and less even. I know that if I was needing to buy a good headphone amp today I would be thrilled at the number of reasonably affordable, well designed amps waiting in the marketplace.

Would I buy the most powerful amp I could? Absolutely so I am not saying power is unimportant, the power that you will be needing and using is very important. The power that you won't ever use, by definition it is unimportant as it remains unused. You simply pay for the potential should you ever need it, and that is fine. More power to you I say (pun intended).

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #4,018 of 4,030
I don't know what 4-N cans means. I only have the Sundara.
4 to N. N being some number over 4. The HEX v2 is IMO well better than the Sundara - but it does like good source.

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #4,019 of 4,030
If you were on the edge of the amps rating, but not going over into clipping any possible negative effects on the sound should be close to zero. However, you are absolutely touching on a very real consideration. Enough clean power will always be enough clean power, and as long as there is clean power to handle the dynamic peaks being asked by the music, even if one is at the end of the volume control, again, if the power remains clean and the amp can remain stable delivering it, no problem.

I am not saying that people shouldn't purchase a little more power than they need, not at all. I am only trying to challenge the notion that the unused power sitting as stored energy potential can cause the sound to be better by virtue of it's existence. Different loads require more power, or can be more variable throughout the frequency range where the power needed to reach a certain SPL is not linear. Higher frequencies take more power to reproduce the wave and you will have variability in how the driver and enclosure design impact such things.

Anyway, there is no reason to not buy as much power as you can reasonably afford. New amps are providing more and better quality power (when designed correctly) for less money than was ever the case before. The days of needing those $500 plus dedicated amps are 100% over for the VAST majority of users. You can get audibly transparent, powerful headphone amps that can handle pretty demanding loads for $300 and less even. I know that if I was needing to buy a good headphone amp today I would be thrilled at the number of reasonably affordable, well designed amps waiting in the marketplace.

Would I buy the most powerful amp I could? Absolutely so I am not saying power is unimportant, the power that you will be needing and using is very important. The power that you won't ever use, by definition it is unimportant as it remains unused. You simply pay for the potential should you ever need it, and that is fine. More power to you I say (pun intended).
Always enjoy reading your thoughts.

I think you know that I have a lot more experience with room systems than headphones so I harken back.

The Dynaco 400, 410, 416. Same basic design in all 3 - basic 200 wpc amps. The 400 had meters and level controls. It was around a few years, then the 410 - both came as kits or pre built. The 410 had no meters or level controls. It was cheaper to build or buy. I built a few for others and liked it. They seemed to sound the same but I liked the purist 410.

Then came the 416 - double the output transistors, and a huge amount of power filter capacitance - I think it was 120k more thank stock. It was a vivid sounding amp with very technicolored bass it's earlier mates had some of that. For a couple of years Dynaco and VanAstine and some other outfits played that angle.

About 7 years later I got 20k of extra capacitance and added it to my first Pass amp - the Stasis 3 about a year after I got it. The Stasis was excellent - I wish I still had it. But it was miserable with the new toy - slow and muddy.

Point? A lot can go on with amp & transducers. Also sometimes no different. Listen with trusted equipment and only one change at a time - if it's a trendy or pricey unit - go blind. It's your best chance.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #4,020 of 4,030
Always enjoy reading your thoughts.

Point? A lot can go on with amp & transducers. Also sometimes no different. Listen with trusted equipment and only one change at a time - if it's a trendy or pricey unit - go blind. It's your best chance.
I would have to same the same thing, I always find your posts useful, balanced and very often thought provoking. This is coupled with being open to a respectful conversation even if opinions differ, and at times I find that there is less of a willingness to listen to dissenting views, so I do appreciate that you are tactful.

I also very much agree with your position to not make a bunch of changes at once, being patient and methodical. I am a fan of blind listening testing, but I'm not sure if that is what you were referring to when you said go blind it's your best chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back