Hifiman Edition X
Jul 3, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #3,976 of 4,030
Yes I got anandas. Don’t know it their any good as I listen to my 800s. Would like to sell anandas just don’t need them
Anandas are so much worse than the Edition X.
That's terrifying to hear

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #3,977 of 4,030
I'm glad that my Edition X V2 is in pristine condition and used sparingly. Hopefully that means it will be around for a long time.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #3,978 of 4,030
So I've been on the EQ trail for like 3-4 months. The one that I didn't seem to have right was the HEX v2. Maybe I should sell it? No, one more shot. Glad I took it. Very few test graphs are available, the Rtings one being the best. I found the github one incomplete, even misleading as were others. That 4 letter site, meh.

I hit it pretty close I think, might be off .3 db here and a few hertz there, but the cohesiveness these cans have is well enhanced, and the weak links: small but broad rise from 2-4k, rise at 6.9k and 16.5k, and dips centered at 1450Hz, 5.6k, and a big dip at 12k.

Complex passages have more clarity and less drop outs or over emphasis.

10 band parametric - Toneboosters:

Hz db Q

31 ----- 2.5 2.55 Low Shelf
215 --- -1.8 0.50 Digital Bell
685 --- -3.0 2.50 "
1090 -- -2.0 9.00 "
1440 --- 2.7 2.80 "
3000 -- -2.0 1.20 "
5600 --- 4.5 4.00 "
6900 -- -6.0 3.50 "
12000 - 6.0 1.50 " (further listening on jazz indicates that 4.3-4.8 range may be better
16500 - -6.0 1.00 High Shelf (can't really hear it directly but the treble as a whole seems to have lost some frazzle)

It's hard to set this EQ blind because there is no visual - the 6 band they have is, so I fed the bottom 6 and then top 6 so I could see if it was lining up, and I had to make a handful of changes, since one setting can effect near by ones.

I went from 1978-2019 not using EQ's, and the one I had a good one for the time - 1977 - it was analog with fixed frequencies - a stone club.

A digital parametric is like a virtual rapier in comparison.

Easily and cheaply obtained if you use UAPP.

And oh yes, no way I'm selling.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #3,979 of 4,030
Anandas are so much worse than the Edition X.
That's terrifying to hear

HEX v2 not perfect, but it has more fabric/density and depth, and handles overtones much better than the Ananda. Follow my EQ instructions and it will lap the Ananda, and not just beat it.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #3,980 of 4,030
I don't know what I would do if my HEX V2 died. They felt more alive and energetic than the model that replaced them, when I tried them both side by side at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #3,981 of 4,030
@bagwell359
I had found an Inner Ear Fidelity frequency response chart for the original Edition X that I used as a guide, but I really didn't put much effort into equalizing. I like that you have diligently explored options. I will try your equalization with my HEX2 tonight using either EasyQ, a plugin for JRiver, or the built in parametric equalizer that comes installed with JRiver. I am always curious enough to try some tweaks. If I do find time either tonight or soon I'll let you know how it goes with your settings. Thanks for sharing.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #3,982 of 4,030
My HEX is ancient at this point. If something should ever happen I'd be quite sad to replace it with something inferior. I'm also quite disturbed to learn that the Arya has worse soundstage. That's a nonstarter for me. Soundstage is more important than that last 10% of detail for me, easily.
That's news to me when I have my Arya's and HEXv2 side by side.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #3,983 of 4,030
@bagwell359
I had found an Inner Ear Fidelity frequency response chart for the original Edition X that I used as a guide, but I really didn't put much effort into equalizing. I like that you have diligently explored options. I will try your equalization with my HEX2 tonight using either EasyQ, a plugin for JRiver, or the built in parametric equalizer that comes installed with JRiver. I am always curious enough to try some tweaks. If I do find time either tonight or soon I'll let you know how it goes with your settings. Thanks for sharing.

Cool. I have a 6 band version if you don't have 10 available. Does your 10 produce a visual mapping? I'd like to see it if so and possible.

I started with Inner Fidelity, but I ended up with Rtngs "Sound Profile" as my main influence.

My bass setting tries to mitigate the peak centered at 42 Hz (see Rtngs "bass peak" chart), and add bass under 30 with just one slider - the Q setting over 1.00 with "low shelf" settings allows this sort of adjustment.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #3,984 of 4,030
Just want to share my experience. After 3 years of using them, the left drive wasn't working anymore. Completely silence. Dead. My hifi store where I purchased the HEXv2 sent them to the assistance service (Germany). Fortunately they return the headphones today, after just one week. They didn't mention what was the problem, but the left drive is working again (I suppose it was just the connector). They packed everything really in an accurate and safe way. They didn't charge anything either. Customer service 10/10!

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #3,985 of 4,030
Bro, it sounds like you just got a driver failure. Does your unit still under warranty? I think contact hifiman customer services, I believe they will help you. I am not sure if they still do service for Edition X v2 or not because it is discontinued product line. I have tried Arya, I think you could ask them if they accept money and upgrade to Arya, it is worth upgrading. You lose the soundstage, but the details, clarity and bass is better than Edition X v2. I still love my edition X so much and hope it will live for more years to come.
That's news to me when I have my Arya's and HEXv2 side by side.

Well that's a relief. You two can sort it out then.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #3,986 of 4,030
Is there anywhere to buy a replacement headband? The left sliding piece does not lock into the holes anymore.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #3,987 of 4,030
Is there anywhere to buy a replacement headband? The left sliding piece does not lock into the holes anymore.
You can ask customer service from Hifiman, the headband of edition x v2 is not in stock but they will offer you to make a new headband straight from their factory for 100usd and the new headband will not have the edition X printed on the yoke.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #3,988 of 4,030
You can ask customer service from Hifiman, the headband of edition x v2 is not in stock but they will offer you to make a new headband straight from their factory for 100usd and the new headband will not have the edition X printed on the yoke.
Thanks for the info!

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #3,989 of 4,030
I got X V2 today and so far i really enjoy them , they've been one of the finest headphones pairs i tried during my audio journey. I had a split moment when i was hesitating between X V2 or Focal Clear/HD800/LCD2/Aeolus and after much consideration (and ear time on each of those headphones) my hearing decided that X V2 was the most pleasant one to me!

Like you guys here , i really hope those headphones will last for a long time ,normally when things go wrong with headphones at this caliber it usually is hella costly , and takes a long time to progress.

Also a shoutout to Hifiman if you guys ever read this , you guys have been making amazing headphones :).

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #3,990 of 4,030
Well I'm selling for one reason - need $ for a pair of Susvara's. Keeping the 500 because it's the 500. Not sure on the HE6se, long term replacement for the 500? after I get the Susvaras I'll decide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back