Hifiman Edition X
Jan 21, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #3,661 of 4,030
The other night, I went to swat a fly buzzing my desk, swung and missed the fly but snagged my Edition X! She went crashing on to the wooden floor and I almost fainted! :astonished: Staring at the carcass (which felt like hours) I was dreading to pick her up.

Thank God, still in one piece! :sweat_smile:

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #3,663 of 4,030
Is the bass in these at all comparable to the LCD2c's?

I'm still on my quest to find a headphone I like. Just have to sell 1 more item and am looking for a new setup.

I have the x2/27s now that I like but want something with a hi-fi sound to it. I do listen to alot of EDM and classic rock for the most part. I had the lcd2c's but the sealing killed my ears, I had the Elex's and thought the clipped way too easy. So now I'm looking to probably go back to planar since I did like that certain holographic type sound.

I also see hifiman comes out with a ton of headphones, is there any other hifimans I should look at? I saw that these go for around 800 used so I guess that's around the max I want to spend for headphones.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #3,666 of 4,030
Just a update.. my repair guy was able to find a connector and fixed the phone. The connector jack was pretty hard do find, it use a 2.5mm jack gold plated, not very common. Hifiman asked 230US to fix, which is ridiculous. Got it fixed for 60 bucks (in Brazil).

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #3,668 of 4,030
Have you even owned the HE-560?

It trumps the HE-500 in just about every imaginable category while improving on comfort.

Briefly heard a HEX v2 before, just bought a used one, so a lot on that soon.

Meanwhile, I disagree here. There is nothing the 560 does better than the 500 - save two things,

1. A lesser amp can get the 560 to make the most of its bass. The 500 really needs a potent amp for the bass to blossom and tighten transition of the mid bass -> low bass and upper bass -> lower mids

2. 560 more comfortable

Width, depth, bloom, impact, mids, vocals, treble, bass, gestalt - everything 500 >> 560 - IMO of course.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #3,669 of 4,030
You literally resurrected my quote from years ago.
Recognize, that the HE-560 and the HE-500 both had multiple production variants.
The HE-560, in particular, seemed to change for the worse up until its current day iteration.
The HE-560 I owned (few months into production) were noticeably better than the HE-500 I previously owned (one of the first release models).
In fact, this was the whole point according to HFM and DFB, the new driver designs were released as a direct successor to the older models, while simultaneously focusing on ergonomics and drivability.

I appreciate your insight into the matter, and I can see that you're a HE-500 owner too, but respect at one point this is how my personal opinion was.
I worked with HFM extensively, trust me when I say that the original HE-560 was never intended to be much worse than the HE-500 -- which you seem to claim (whatever model you owned/used/demoed).

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #3,670 of 4,030
Briefly heard a HEX v2 before, just bought a used one, so a lot on that soon.

Meanwhile, I disagree here. There is nothing the 560 does better than the 500 - save two things,

1. A lesser amp can get the 560 to make the most of its bass. The 500 really needs a potent amp for the bass to blossom and tighten transition of the mid bass -> low bass and upper bass -> lower mids

2. 560 more comfortable

Width, depth, bloom, impact, mids, vocals, treble, bass, gestalt - everything 500 >> 560 - IMO of course.
I had both. HE500 is definitely better. I remember its delicious mid and deep bass. Ugly and heavy, but feels more solid.

Never liked anything about the HE560. From the build to the sound quality. Don't like the bass. Don't like the treble.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #3,671 of 4,030
You literally resurrected my quote from years ago.

I know, pardon - I was actually looking at HE-500 v HEX v2 (which I just bought) reviews and ran into yours.

Recognize, that the HE-560 and the HE-500 both had multiple production variants.
The HE-560, in particular, seemed to change for the worse up until its current day iteration.

I have heard both of the first two versions of the 560. My 500 was bought in 2012 - so its somewhat early

The HE-560 I owned (few months into production) were noticeably better than the HE-500 I previously owned (one of the first release models).
In fact, this was the whole point according to HFM and DFB, the new driver designs were released as a direct successor to the older models, while simultaneously focusing on ergonomics and drivability.

There are always cases of unit to unit variation. OTOH, the 500 > 560 opinion runs about 80/20 here.

I appreciate your insight into the matter, and I can see that you're a HE-500 owner too, but respect at one point this is how my personal opinion was.
I worked with HFM extensively, trust me when I say that the original HE-560 was never intended to be much worse than the HE-500 -- which you seem to claim (whatever model you owned/used/demoed).

I never meant to indicate HFM would intentionally replace a very popular (actually any) headphone with a lesser one. Doesn't make sense.

The HFM family has attracted my attention like no other manufacturer. I either own or have heard: HE400, HE400i, HE400s, HE500 (now quite modded), HE560, HEX v2, HEK v2, Ananda, HE-6, HE5-LE, Sundara, Shangri-la Jr (sorry HFM, Voce walks all over the S-la jr)

I endorse them all at their price point save the Ananda and 560 - or at least the used price since the HEK list price is rather high.

There are people who love AKG, Beyer, Grado - and that's fine. But Hifiman, I believe is a brand I know very well, and IMO those two models just don't fit the pattern to me, or the two 560's and two Ananda's I heard were both defective in same ways. I had the same thing with the LCD2 2C - bought a used one and borrowed another - and they both sounded the same - not for me. But some people love them.

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #3,672 of 4,030
I know, pardon - I was actually looking at HE-500 v HEX v2 (which I just bought) reviews and ran into yours.

I have heard both of the first two versions of the 560. My 500 was bought in 2012 - so its somewhat early

There are always cases of unit to unit variation. OTOH, the 500 > 560 opinion runs about 80/20 here.

I never meant to indicate HFM would intentionally replace a very popular (actually any) headphone with a lesser one. Doesn't make sense.

The HFM family has attracted my attention like no other manufacturer. I either own or have heard: HE400, HE400i, HE400s, HE500 (now quite modded), HE560, HEX v2, HEK v2, Ananda, HE-6, HE5-LE, Sundara, Shangri-la Jr (sorry HFM, Voce walks all over the S-la jr)

I endorse them all at their price point save the Ananda and 560 - or at least the used price since the HEK list price is rather high.

There are people who love AKG, Beyer, Grado - and that's fine. But Hifiman, I believe is a brand I know very well, and IMO those two models just don't fit the pattern to me, or the two 560's and two Ananda's I heard were both defective in same ways. I had the same thing with the LCD2 2C - bought a used one and borrowed another - and they both sounded the same - not for me. But some people love them.

know, pardon - I was actually looking at HE-500 v HEX v2 (which I just bought) reviews and ran into yours.

I have to ask; if pressed, would you chose (in stock form) the HE-500 or HEX-V2 purely based on sq?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #3,673 of 4,030
Yes everyone is different. With a good ss amp. The hex is amazing. Same setup the Clears are a tad bass week with a small stage.

Yeah the consensus from other Hex owners seems to be that it does nothing wrong, but on the flipside can come off as overly polite or 'boring' sometimes.

Personally I think for $600 you can find it these days it's a good deal. However, don't expect to get most of its potential from a magni or a mojo. It needs a proper desktop source in the same grade as itself, and it will draw attention to glare or veils present in most mid-fi gear.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,674 of 4,030
know, pardon - I was actually looking at HE-500 v HEX v2 (which I just bought) reviews and ran into yours.

I have to ask; if pressed, would you chose (in stock form) the HE-500 or HEX-V2 purely based on sq?

In stock form the HEX V2 > HE-500. Even considering the average used price of ~375 for 500 and ~675-725 for HEX V2.

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #3,675 of 4,030
In stock form the HEX V2 > HE-500. Even considering the average used price of ~375 for 500 and ~675-725 for HEX V2.

Thank you. Out of criosity, is there any aspect of the sound you feel the HE-500 does better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back