Hifiman Edition X
Sep 22, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #3,631 of 4,030
Hi I've been reading this thread from the start until this last page and been contemplating whether to get HEXV2 for my next compliment of headphones: Z1R, K701, DT880

I really like the Sony Z1R esp the dark nature of it and (imo) a very smooth sounding compared to my other headphones. Build quality of course is really one part that I'm really having concern with these, however since I'll be only using this at work, I think I could baby them enough. I've already contacted seller in my country for around msrp $1200, but now I really have a 2nd thought whether it really is worth the full msrp price with review such as headfonic one not really helping (in one of the comment asked the commenter to get these and sell all their gears - it's that good)

I want something that's a bit different with my Z1R but it has to be open back, and I don't want to lose that dark, airy and smooth sounding characteristic. From time to time, I'll put on my K701 it really could give me that open back sound to please me but couldn't past the harshness on some songs. DT880 just giving me smaller soundstage which really keep me getting back to the Z1R and K701.

Wanted a Stax L700, could get a good deal with 353x but snagged by other buyer last minute :frowning2: after reading this HEXV2 thread though I'm not sure I really want a Stax anymore since it's lacking in bass dept which I'm very used to with the Z1R

Sep 23, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #3,632 of 4,030
Can anyone comment on the airiness of this can or the Ananda? I want to get my brother a pair of headphones that will wow him but also be solid reference tuning. I am wary of people saying these have less air than the HD600, which while by no means weak in the treble is fairly close to what I would consider the minimum treble extension and fidelity for a reference response.

The HEX is very similar to the HD600 in some ways, right down to an upper mid/lower treble emphasis, and a slightly south of neutral amount of air above 10k, and a smooth presentation. I haven't heard the 600 for long enough to say exactly whether it's better or worse in terms of treble detail but the overall tilt seems similar between the two (though there are differences as well). With the right DAC and amp behind it, it has plenty detail for me. There are certainly darker planars out there (Audeze). I'm guessing the HEX will probably be borderline for you though. Sounds like you may want something a bit brighter.

The overall tonal balance is not an issue. The mids are not reference, so if that's what you're looking for, I think there are other options. The HEX mids are more romanticized. That's just the presentation of this headphone. It can be very pleasing on some songs, and at other times the gray background in the mids can be an issue. Just depends. I would say they tend to sound as good as any setup I've heard regardless of price with 'audiophile-grade' albums, and they can often save overly aggressive dynamically compressed modern albums and make them into something tolerable to listen to. I can listen to most of my collection for hours and hours without feeling fatigued because of this. However, the downside to that is... albums that are lacking in definition right off the bat will not sound good from the HEX, especially if they rely on treble sparkle for structure. A grainier headphone is needed to liberate more congested production.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #3,633 of 4,030
It can be very pleasing on some songs, and at other times the gray background in the mids can be an issue. Just depends. I would say they tend to sound as good as any setup I've heard regardless of price with 'audiophile-grade' albums, and they can often save overly aggressive dynamically compressed modern albums and make them into something tolerable to listen to.

I saw a "grey background" mentioned by one other person. I'm a bit surprised by this. It is less black than, say, the HD600? Because the 400i I had, to my ears had a blacker background than the HD600. Is the decay speed (that is the principle component of black background, right?) of the HEX v2 slower than that of the 400i and HD600?

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #3,634 of 4,030
I picked up the ifi nano idsd black label today. it sounds great and has no problem with the HEX V2. I was using the fiio q1 mark 2 balanced to my laptop with foobar200 and straight off my lgv30, both sound great but the ifi sounds better to me. For $200 USD the ifi nano is a great little unit - would recommend.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #3,635 of 4,030
I saw a "grey background" mentioned by one other person. I'm a bit surprised by this. It is less black than, say, the HD600? Because the 400i I had, to my ears had a blacker background than the HD600. Is the decay speed (that is the principle component of black background, right?) of the HEX v2 slower than that of the 400i and HD600?

I haven't heard the 400i, but I've heard the 560. Not sure how the former compares but the HEX sounds completely utterly different. As far as background goes, yeah I think it is grayer than the HD600--in the midrange at least. This is a tradeoff, not a weakness. Some of what you're hearing in the background is soundstage detail that the 600 simply does not have. It's just a different type of presentation. If you want a really clinical intimate analytical take on your music... this is not the headphone for you. The HEX gives a more "retro-hifi" speaker-like presentation.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,636 of 4,030
I tried selling the iFi Nano Black Label inside my family- full price, blood runs thicker than water. I come home and am told there's some disappointing news. The HD650 supposedly sounds better directly through a laptop with plenty of volume to spare. My reaction was no way. Turns out yes way. To make matters worse, my LCD-X wasn't sounding all that good on a Gumby Taurus MKII stack I bought for $2250. Plugged in the Nano BL out of frustration, promptly made a couple of sales for $1800. Unfortunately my computer runs out of room with the LCD-X for some reason. Just sold the Nano BL as well, currently running from a Modi Multibit with a Jotunheim, which is satisfactory for my preferences but with certain drawbacks in separation, imaging, and soundstage. Moral of the story is... good grief. This is a cluster****. People make some dubious money in my opinion, although others willingly gobble it up.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #3,637 of 4,030
I haven't heard the 400i, but I've heard the 560. Not sure how the former compares but the HEX sounds completely utterly different. As far as background goes, yeah I think it is grayer than the HD600--in the midrange at least. This is a tradeoff, not a weakness. Some of what you're hearing in the background is soundstage detail that the 600 simply does not have. It's just a different type of presentation. If you want a really clinical intimate analytical take on your music... this is not the headphone for you. The HEX gives a more "retro-hifi" speaker-like presentation.

Interesting... I never thought of quick decay being a trade-off with soundstage, but I guess it makes sense if sound reflections are masked by a quicker decay/damping. Although the HD800 seems to have both a fast decay and large soundstage. Maybe not as fast as it could be though... and I suppose without the borderline unrealistic brightness it wouldn't retain those recorded reflections and thus soundstage. Maybe quick decay enables bright treble to sound natural.

Presumably for the HEX it is the conductor fused onto the diaphragm, in combination with how large the diaphragm is which slows down the decay. Maybe this is why the Susvara (and SR 007, 009) have smaller diaphragms compared to the HEX and HEK (and Stax Lambda). And the the HEK has a harder to move less efficient driver which probably is better damped.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #3,638 of 4,030
I have the HEX V2 I'm trying out and run them off a V30. Since they are planar, the volume isn't the greatest with the V30 unless you trick them into high-impedance mode, and the sound is maybe a bit "too" polite perhaps (but obviously that is subjective and a hallmark of planars).

My big "issue" is the size if these beasts. Who has a head that can even invoke one of two adjustment clicks? I have a narrow one and even with no adjustment they are still a bit too big (hang down too low). I can't be the only one--has anyone found an effective "cover/buffer" for the leather head pad to extend the height of the things?

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #3,640 of 4,030
I have the HEX V2 I'm trying out and run them off a V30. Since they are planar, the volume isn't the greatest with the V30 unless you trick them into high-impedance mode, and the sound is maybe a bit "too" polite perhaps (but obviously that is subjective and a hallmark of planars).

My big "issue" is the size if these beasts. Who has a head that can even invoke one of two adjustment clicks? I have a narrow one and even with no adjustment they are still a bit too big (hang down too low). I can't be the only one--has anyone found an effective "cover/buffer" for the leather head pad to extend the height of the things?
I keep mine about 3-4 clicks up usually, and they seal fully in either position. The sound changes slightly and I prefer one or the other depending on my ears that day.

I have a V20 and while it can run them, and it sounds fine, they just sound plain better from my desktop setup (Bifrost + XDuoo XD-05).

Oct 4, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #3,641 of 4,030
can i ask how can i load the He x V2 frequency curve into apo equalizer, as Id like to make changes to the frequency curve and see the changes I made on the curve

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #3,642 of 4,030
Which of these headphones most compliment each other?

1. LCD-2C
2. HD 800S
3. HEX-V2

I currently own the LCD-2C and HD 800S, but I'm curious as to where the HEX-V2 stands .. and from what I've read it sounds like it would be a cross-breed between the LCD-2C and HD 800S. :p

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,644 of 4,030
Which of these headphones most compliment each other?

1. LCD-2C
2. HD 800S
3. HEX-V2

I currently own the LCD-2C and HD 800S, but I'm curious as to where the HEX-V2 stands .. and from what I've read it sounds like it would be a cross-breed between the LCD-2C and HD 800S. :p
That is pretty much my HP collection. I have the LCD2.2, HD800, and HEX v1. I agree that it is pretty much in the middle. The key to the HEX is that it sounds great with any source and has a wonderful powerful bass with tons of clarity and transparency. I use my HEX with my portable setups mainly - Calyx M, Sony WM1a, Hugo 2 as I like to unplug from my desktop and listen outside by my pool and watch the stars. My HD800 is my workhorse on my desktop as it scales the most using SonarWorks and a bass bump. The LCD2 is a wonderful HP that I love too much to sell but gets little love at the moment with the availability of the other two HPs.

The HEX needs a good cable to do its best or has a sibilance issue with the stock cable. If anyone wants to hear what a HEX can do on a great cable, check the link in my signature for a Forza cable tour that I am organizing in the US and give it a try. That cable is a hybrid copper and silver cable that is a wonderful pairing with the HEX.

BTW, the HEX is about to be replaced by the Ananda which was wonderful to hear at RMAF. You should check it out as it is a cheaper option that has most of the magic if not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back